FR: Server: Auto Delete Watched after "N" Days

trusselo

Koleckai Silvestri

This would have to be optional and on a series by series level. It would also need to be off by default.

• Like 7

Maleficarum

Would be good to be able to specify users to watch for too. If you are the only user it Would work OK but what happens if another user has access to that same show and watches it before you...

Sent from my C1505 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I'm all for this!  I'd brought it up once before but reception was cool.  But now that Live TV and DVR content is easily part of the MB3 experience, management automation would be a good thing.  I was even thinking of writing a plug-in but time is not on my side.  I have noticed that there's a "let this user delete content" setting for the user profiles, so maybe it's coming.  In the meantime, for what it's worth, I'll share some of my ideas on this.

First this option would only apply to TV Show content, so movies are safe and would require a user to be in the file system.  If you use that for a series to be retained always, it could be turned off for that media folder.  I'd have it be "out-in" by default.

Next, I would want it to return the root folders/Series/Show name so that individual settings could be set.  With that in mind, I'd also want a global setting to apply for anything not specified; anything specific to a show would override the globals.

Without getting too complex, some basic rules to apply would get the job done.  I'd probably present simple checkbox options, something like

• Delete n Days after watched
  • Delete unwatched if older than n days

So for David Letterman, I may set it to 1/7 respectively, which would give me one day to go back and see it again, like "oh you have to see the stupid pet tricks from yesterday."  The 7 days would give me a week to watch and if I didn't, older content would roll off and be deleted. 

For CSI, I may do 14/X, (X meaning disabled) keeping the last one I watched for a couple weeks if I needed a refresher and not enabling the Delete Unwatched option as I may watch these in a marathon in a couple months from now.

Local news might just be 0/1 so that it would be deleted immedately on the next delete cycle after watched and if not watched, it will only last for the day.

I'd thought of other options as well.  One could be "Keep no more than n episodes", which would probably be best as a mutually exclusive option to the two settings above.  That way if I set it to 5 for Letterman, I'll have the last 5 regardless of watched status; that may be a simpler option for daily type shows.  That could be risky for a weekly series unless I set it to some large #.  If that setting wasn't mutually exclusive, it could be fine but then a user might get confused about when a show will be deleted.

If no global options were set and a new series was added w/o retention specifics, then it'd just pile up safely until the admin set it up.  If a global setting was in place, then it'd fall under that logic w/o intervention.

Again, my intent is simplicity and a way to keep my HDD's from filling with content that I will have to manually delete.  Thirty days worth of Letterman just isn't my idea of fun, as my TV time is pretty light.  Maybe if I give up that little bit of TV I could get a plug-in coded!  :P

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Jay3ird

Has this feature request been abandoned? I would also like a way to age off watched shows. Here is one use case. I do not give my kids delete access because they are kids and who knows what they will do. However, their tv shows are a majority of my library.  Once they watch a show it just sits on my server until I work may way through and delete them. I would be nice if I could just check a box to delete the shows X days after watched.

• Like 1

Hi @jcurillo, no it hasn't been abandoned. We are actively monitoring all features requests for community feedback. Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
Michael Poulsen

Hi @jcurillo, no it hasn't been abandoned. We are actively monitoring all features requests for community feedback. Thanks !

i would like it too ;-)

maybe something like janitor in kodi, that works.

Koleckai Silvestri

i would like it too ;-)

maybe something like janitor in kodi, that works.

You need to like the first post of a topic if you want to vote for it. Until people like the topic, it won't go anywhere.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Françoise

I too would appreciate this feature. To me it is very important for series. Less important for movies.

I think the simplest implementation would be to delete an episode, after x preceding episodes have been marked as watched, by a specified set of users.

For instance for x =3; this would automatically delete s01e01 from the disk after s01e04 has been watched.

There could also be a setting for season (s+y). For  y=1  and x = 3 this would delete season 1 after episode 3 in season 2 has been marked as watched by a defined set of users.

There could be a default set of users, and an option to set a custom set of users for a particular series, category, collection etc..

For movies I would suggest a time delay. Possibly a countdown could be displayed; this movie will be delete in, 4 days.

There could be an additional play option for movies; play (and purge x days after watched), and one that is play and keep. Again a predefined set of users could be set by, library/collection, with the additional option to set a custom set of users that are to watch it before it will be purged automatically.

I never watch anything twice, I would only use the delay option as a fail-safe.

It is a lot of work to manually delete watched episodes of continuing shows and a waste of disk space to keep them.

I have seen many people looking for a script to accomplish this in different forums, such as SickRage, Sonarr, reddit, and Trakt. Some Emby users have even resorted to keeping a copy of Plex installed, only to have trakt sync watched states to Plex, and have the plex-cleaner script, delete the watched episodes from the disk.

Cheers!

Edited by quark

• 3 months later...
mozez314

I have a specific folder into which I put individual movie folders that will only be retained for a set time (currently 180 days) and a script that deletes the movie folders if they exceed that time - actually it moves them to a TRASH folder that I then empty manually :-)

However, it would be nice if this was built into Emby to provide the ability to sort by expiry date - effectively providing a "last chance to see" view...

Jdiesel

A tip for those on Linux, I run a daily cron which deletes files older than a certain date. For example:

find /media/tv/Conan (2010)/* -mtime +14 -exec rm {} \;

Which will delete any episodes of Conan that are older than 14 days. Obliviously it doesn't consider if they have been watched or not but for daily shows like that I never want to go back and watch very old episodes anyways.

• 4 weeks later...
ginjaninja

auto delete old news shows would be useful.

set at series level

level 1 - delete x days after date aired

level 2 - if all these users have watched delete y days after

(cant delete immediately after watched as some times media is marked watched in error or if fell asleep during)

assuming emby allows plugins to create custom media attributes, the logic can write a deletion date field on the media item. this field could support a smart playlist for "media due for deletion in y days" (last chance to see view) in core even if media (marking for) deletion functionality was in a plugin.

switch off this auto deletion function at show level would remove deletion date from all episides. *

scheduled task would first (in case x,y changed) update deletion date based on MIN(x,y) , then proccess any deletions exceeded.

uninstalling plugin would remove deletion date from schema.*

*(assumption this plugin is authorative for the content / meaning of the deletion date field it creates/uses)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Does the API expose this info?  If so, what's the call?  If not, this would be a no brainer if I could call /watchedStatus and the server returned JSON containing status, users who've watched, age since last watched, and file path.  Then it's just a matter of scripting the delete in your favorite language.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
mastrmind11

Yes the api has a lastplayeddate

sweet.  I'll see what I can throw together.  thanks

• Like 1