Why transcode video when only audio can't be DirecStreamed?

Alefielm
Go to solution Solved by crusher11,

The question is - what's reasonable to display within the available screen estate?

On the dashboard main page, there's not much space for the client cards and adding even more information would quickly make it appear overcrowded..

Personally I'd like to only see "Direct Streaming" when the package is being changed.

"Transcoding" when EITHER video, audio or subtitles is in need of being converted.  This could be shown as

Transcoding V

Transcoding A

Transcoding S

Transcoding VA

Transcoding VS

Transcoding AS

Transcoding VAS

At most 4 letters are adding including the space.  This would quickly tell us if just the video is converted, just the audio is converted or both the video and audio is converted. Along with Subtitles thrown in as well.

V=Video

A=Audio

S=Subtitle

This to me would be useful in audio situations where for example the file has only an AC3 audio track but the device requires AAC.  Lots of other audio examples from dolby to dts, etc  Subtitles can also cause problems and being able to quickly see this would be useful as well as maybe just downloading a sub that is comparable fixes the problem and it would no longer require transcoding.

I don't think we could go wrong with something like this if you can find 4 additional characters on the screen. :)

Edited by cayars
  • Like 3

Guest asrequested

Stats for nerds should be better. With Theater/mpv we get a lot of information, but on other apps the information is next to useless. It's too generic.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Well yes indeed, I stand corrected. Without direct access, the server does stream the video, but is now reported as DirectPlay.

Notice the "static=true" there?  That is just delivering the file as-is over http instead of smb.

Guest asrequested

Notice the "static=true" there? That is just delivering the file as-is over http instead of smb.

Yup, I see :)

Information like this should to be in the stats for all apps. I think it'll go a long to way helping with misunderstanding/explaining what's happening.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Information like this should to be in the stats for all apps. I think it'll go a long to way helping with misunderstanding/explaining what's happening.

I agree that this would be a good idea.

I know for a fact the Roku app "does" do this already.

DirectPlay = play over http. The original container, and all streams inside are kept original.

DirectStream = repackage into TS preserving all streams in original quality. A container swap.

Remux = repackage into TS preserving the video stream. The container and audio codec are swapped.

Transcode = what it always has meant. The video codec is swapped and usually the container with it.

The web app uses the exact same terminology.

image.png

On the above you can see the (Direct) on both Video and Audio codecs.

This is all the information you need really.. lol. :)

Edited by speechles

Personally I'd like to only see "Direct Streaming" when the package is being changed.

"Transcoding" when EITHER video, audio or subtitles is in need of being converted.  This could be shown as

Transcoding V

Transcoding A

Transcoding S

Transcoding VA

Transcoding VS

Transcoding AS

Transcoding VAS

Would not you just enable stats for nerds if you needed all that information?

Guest asrequested

I know for a fact the Roku app "does" do this already.

DirectPlay = play over http. The original container, and all streams inside are kept original.

DirectStream = repackage into TS preserving all streams in original quality. A container swap.

Remux = repackage into TS preserving the video stream. The container and audio codec are swapped.

Transcode = what it always has meant. The video codec is swapped and usually the container with it.

The web app uses the exact same terminology.

image.png

On the above you can see the (Direct) on both Video and Audio codecs.

This is all the information you need really.. lol. :)

It's a decent start, but still missing a lot of information. It's not nerdy enough :)

The Roku video player just doesn't give us the same kind of real-time information that mpv does.

Would not you just enable stats for nerds if you needed all that information?

Because I'd like to see this on the Server webadmin screen itself as well as on the client.  But I like this from a support standpoint because the one line says exactly what is being done.