Apple TV with HEVC + HDR (mkv container)

M3th0s

samuelqwe

Well, the real problem is the lack of support for HEVC HDR using mkv container using Emby for Apple TV. Talking about other products can make the real problem go unnoticed. Any plan to add support for that? Or it's a discarded feature?

Yes, it does seems rather odd that a third party app is required to accomplish something that a first party app should support. We now have two different players in the Apple TV app, but neither can playback HDR on mkv containers. Any update on the feature would be appreciated.

Well, the real problem is the lack of support for HEVC HDR using mkv container using Emby for Apple TV.

Is this limited to mkv? Can I remux to mp4 or mov and HDR will start working?

ffmpeg is your friend here?

vdatanet

Is this limited to mkv? Can I remux to mp4 or mov and HDR will start working?

ffmpeg is your friend here?

Using native player available on latest beta, you can direct play HEVC HDR content in MP4 container. But playback is very limited, most content freezes every 2.5 min.

sfatula

You have to have audio that fits within MP4 container also, which does not include the format most of my movies have, flac. 

Using native player available on latest beta, you can direct play HEVC HDR content in MP4 container. But playback is very limited, most content freezes every 2.5 min.

Oh, I don't need the beta for that. (See my other thread in this section)

sfatula

You say "most content". Have you figured out difference between what does and does not play? Is it still level 150 playing and 153 not?

Edited by sfatula

vdatanet

Both formats (Level 150 and Level 153) freeze during direct playback. I only can play 1080p HEVC. I don't think Apple TV native player is optimized for direct playback. We need HEVC direct streaming using HLS fMP4 like Plex does.

5e819d2db6580_Level150.jpg5e819d474f4b8_Level153.jpg

sfatula

Aha, I thought you had said before in another thread you had some 4k hevc playing well.

M3th0s

Yes, let's not lose sight of this thread.

Could anyone from emby confirm this is on their roadmap please? By this I mean 4K HEVC + HDR (mkv container) working with their native player.

Thanks in advance

I'll ask a related question that feels like a FAQ, but I can't find it.
Is there a table of which hardware supports which formats? I'd like a solution to this, and while I'd prefer something on the AppleTV, I'm not opposed to different hardware, or to some offline remuxing or even transcoding.

I'll ask a related question that feels like a FAQ, but I can't find it.

Is there a table of which hardware supports which formats? I'd like a solution to this, and while I'd prefer something on the AppleTV, I'm not opposed to different hardware, or to some offline remuxing or even transcoding.

We have KB articles for most of our apps that go over most of the direct playable formats:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/44000610499

We have wiki articles for most of our apps that go over most of the direct playable formats:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/44000610499

Not in enough detail to make a purchase decision, unfortunately.

For example, based on "The exact containers and codecs that will direct play depends on both the exact version of Fire TV and the audio equipment it is connected to (and the type of connection - e.g. HDMI, optical, etc.).", is a Fire TV Stick 4k a good purchase? No way to tell.

The general impression I get is that a Shield Pro is the most robust player, but it's hard to tell.

For example, based on "The exact containers and codecs that will direct play depends on both the exact version of Fire TV and the audio equipment it is connected to (and the type of connection - e.g. HDMI, optical, etc.).", is a Fire TV Stick 4k a good purchase? No way to tell.

Unfortunately, it is impossible for us to know what you hook that stick up to and that does govern what it can play.   When it comes to Android, we support what the device (and attached equipment) does.  So, looking at the capabilities for the device you are considering (e.g. here) and taking into consideration your connection type and whatever outboard audio equipment you have, you can  come to that determination.

The general impression I get is that a Shield Pro is the most robust player, but it's hard to tell.

That is correct.

M3th0s

Second that. Have a shield from 2017 and have no issues with any content :)

• 4 weeks later...
Sofasogud

I also don't like Plex, I only wish a plex-like integration for Infuse and Emby.

I’m currently testing 6.4 and emby integration is working really well. There’s a few things they need to implement and there’s a lot that’s in Emby’s player that won’t ever be in infuse but it’s Worth 99p a month for the HDR.

M3th0s

I’m currently testing 6.4 and emby integration is working really well. There’s a few things they need to implement and there’s a lot that’s in Emby’s player that won’t ever be in infuse but it’s Worth 99p a month for the HDR.

I've been looking forward to the 6.4 release with emby integration! Is HDR working properly? Atmos?

Thanks in advance!

vdatanet

I've been looking forward to the 6.4 release with emby integration! Is HDR working properly? Atmos?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, HDR is working. Apple TV only supports Atmos DD+, Atmos TrueHD is not supported by Apple TV. Atmos DD+ is used by streaming services and Atmos TrueHD is used by blurays, so Atmos is not supported for local media.

• Like 1

Sofasogud

Thanks in advance!

Out of all the HDR players on ATV at the moment, I think Infuse handles HDR the best and with Emby it's no different. I've only got Atmos DD+ content at the moment which works flawlessly. Watching extraction right now and it direct plays like everything I throw at it. I'll try out TrueHD when I find something just to see what happens and let you know. TrueHD direct plays too. 

There's a lot of bugs with the Jellyfin integration so I think they're quite a way off a 6.4 release but maybe there will be something for you at the end of May.

Edited by Sofasogud

sfatula

Yep, TrueHD plays fine, the various DTS plays fine, flac plays fine. mkv or mp4. H264 or 265. All via Emby connection and API. 

• 2 weeks later...
Waldemar Jost

Hi since yesterday Infuse 6.4 is out now. So i'm testing for it. Do i right understand infuse is in that case a direct playing Player which can handle all kind of audio and Video formats and will do the transcoding for the specific device by her own Player? So when i'm on the road and will play on the ipad a 4k HEVC HDR movie with TrueHD which is about 50 gb... the infuse ios app will completly download the big movie an than transcode it for the ipad screen? In the local session for the tvOS app that isnt a Problem i think... but for mobile devices it won't be the way with the combination of emby and infuse... here we still have to use emby ... only for the playback of HEVC 4K HDR Content on the local session and with the tvOS on different devices like 1080p tv and 2160p projector is that a way to playback the best Video experiance...

Out of all the HDR players on ATV at the moment, I think Infuse handles HDR the best and with Emby it's no different. I've only got Atmos DD+ content at the moment which works flawlessly. Watching extraction right now and it direct plays like everything I throw at it. I'll try out TrueHD when I find something just to see what happens and let you know. TrueHD direct plays too

There's a lot of bugs with the Jellyfin integration so I think they're quite a way off a 6.4 release but maybe there will be something for you at the end of May.

To play Atmos TureHD i have to change the audio Setting to passtrough the audio directly to the avr and only if the avr can handle this i can play Atmos TrueHD, right? The ATV out of the box cant handle this, or?

My last question is: The Integration of the emby Server in infuse is very easy. Right now i've got my main folders like movies, tv Shows ... is it possible to get the newest Content on the main page of infuse like emby it does?

Sorry for my bad english...

sfatula

When going remote, there will not be any transcoding by Emby, meaning, if your upload speed can't handle the needed bandwidth, it won't work very well. Infuse is direct play only in essence. You can *not* play Atmos TrueHD, you will be TrueHD but not Atmos. The Apple TV can't play TrueHD Atmos and your receiver won't help make it. 

Yes, you can get latest content on the main page. I have mine set up just like Emby was, with my folders on top, unwatched TV episodes after that, and so on. 

You lose any live tv functionality, scheduling, etc. For that stuff, you would need Emby. 

Waldemar Jost

Yes, you can get latest content on the main page. I have mine set up just like Emby was, with my folders on top, unwatched TV episodes after that, and so on. 

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain how to get the latest Content on the mainpage? In my case i add the emby Server, so he only see my 3 folders for movies, tv shows and 3D movies... In emby the latest Content row isnt a seperate folder, it is a internal function of emby the Show the row... so how do you get this in infuse?

sfatula

Under your library folder (if you are showing it on the home screen) you can navigate down through "Movies" and you'll see "recently added". If you long press on this, you can either add it as a favorite (which will show as a folder), or as a list (which will show it as a row like Emby). I don't believe there is an overall recently added for all content types, so you'll have separate TV shows and Movies for recently added. 

There is also a up next row you can get via settings. 

sfatula

One limitation of Infuse is it doesn't support the showing of specials inside seasons as Emby does. This is very handy at times so you can watch things in the correct order. I submitted an enhancement request here for this:

https://community.firecore.com/t/emby-specials-please-support-show-before-episode-feature/19786

Upvote or "like" it if you agree. 

Edited by sfatula

vdatanet

Hi since yesterday Infuse 6.4 is out now. So i'm testing for it. Do i right understand infuse is in that case a direct playing Player which can handle all kind of audio and Video formats and will do the transcoding for the specific device by her own Player? So when i'm on the road and will play on the ipad a 4k HEVC HDR movie with TrueHD which is about 50 gb... the infuse ios app will completly download the big movie an than transcode it for the ipad screen? In the local session for the tvOS app that isnt a Problem i think... but for mobile devices it won't be the way with the combination of emby and infuse... here we still have to use emby ... only for the playback of HEVC 4K HDR Content on the local session and with the tvOS on different devices like 1080p tv and 2160p projector is that a way to playback the best Video experiance...

To play Atmos TureHD i have to change the audio Setting to passtrough the audio directly to the avr and only if the avr can handle this i can play Atmos TrueHD, right? The ATV out of the box cant handle this, or?

My last question is: The Integration of the emby Server in infuse is very easy. Right now i've got my main folders like movies, tv Shows ... is it possible to get the newest Content on the main page of infuse like emby it does?

Sorry for my bad english...

Apple TV does not support Atmos TrueHD because audio passthrough is not supported. Infuse decodes TrueHD to LPCM but it doesn't support TrueHD passthrough  because Apple TV does not support that. If Atmos TrueHD is decoded to LPCM, Atmos metadata is lost. Asking Atmos TrueHD for Apple TV is asking for the impossible, at least nowl