Apple TV with HEVC + HDR (mkv container)

M3th0s

M3th0s

Could I ask why emby can't play these properly at the moment?

I am able to connect to the stream however, the colours are all washed out! Was looking forward to watching some 4k on my apple TV but sadly I'll have to find some other route for it.

Can anyone tell me if there's anything that can be done to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

vdatanet

If you want to play that content (MKV HEVC HDR), you need another device. To play that content using Emby for Apple TV, Emby should:

- Implement HLS fMP4 instead of HLS mpeg2ts

or

- Improve MPV player 

Maybe, next beta cycle of the server will do tonemapping when transcoding. But this instead of a solution is a workaround.

Edited by vdatanet

M3th0s

I'm thinking of going the infuse route with ATV however, it doesn't support emby natively, unlike plex (they will in v6.4).

I got nextcloud on my server so could maybe go the webdav/smb way? And have infuse read from there?

sfatula

I'm thinking of going the infuse route with ATV however, it doesn't support emby natively, unlike plex (they will in v6.4).

I got nextcloud on my server so could maybe go the webdav/smb way? And have infuse read from there?

The next version of Infuse is supposed to support Emby. I use Infuse just fine via FTP connection to the server (faster than SMB). Don't really care for the most part that there isn't any direct Emby integration, moot point for me. 

M3th0s

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on infuse as it'll have emby integration in 6.4. Hopefuily not long although guessing the current climate can't have helped.

I tried SFTP and WebDAV and none of them are fast enough for 4k.

sfatula

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on infuse as it'll have emby integration in 6.4. Hopefuily not long although guessing the current climate can't have helped.

I tried SFTP and WebDAV and none of them are fast enough for 4k.

Right, which is why I said FTP. vdatanet and I tested this and the various connection techniques. ftp was able to get >900mbps sustained, whereas SMB seems to be 10% of that for the most part. Tried sftp too. But FTP was full network speed for both of us, and, I posted that on Infuse and got a lot of great feedback from Infuse users who were very happy. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 2

sfatula

Thanks will try that:)

I'd love to hear how it goes, thus far, not heard of anyone who still has problems after switching to ftp. Of course, it's not "secure" but on a LAN, don't care myself. 

M3th0s

Yeah that's the thing I'm not on LAN. My server is remote.

Might wait for infuse to drop version 6.4 :)

Thanks again for your help!

vdatanet

Right, which is why I said FTP. vdanaet and I tested this and the various connection techniques. ftp was able to get >900mbps sustained, whereas SMB seems to be 10% of that for the most part. Tried sftp too. But FTP was full network speed for both of us, and, I posted that on Infuse and got a lot of great feedback from Infuse users who were very happy. 

Yes, with FTP you get the best performance. But I prefer an Emby integration to fetch metadata from the server instead of matching metadata again. I wish a plex-like integration, metadata is fetched from the server and images are not cached, are fetched on the fly from the server.

Edited by vdatanet

M3th0s

MRMC despite being able to play most files has a really clunky interface. But it works for 4k for the time being :)

• Like 1

sfatula

MrMc has never worked for me, lockups, restarts, maybe get one video to play and then issues, definitely very clumsy interface, etc. Very little support too, from my experience with them. 

• Like 1

sfatula

But I prefer an Emby integration to fetch metadata from the server instead of matching metadata again.

Yeah, I don't know why this matters so much to you, I guess I'll never understand. It's a moot point, it matches once, and, all is well. Almost nothing lost. I've never had any hassle or problem with it. I suppose direct integration will be good, just depends what it actually supports. I would get benefit if it allowed management of Emby like timers, etc. Doubtful it will. Or live tv. In that way, it could completely replace the Emby client but I don't see that happening. 

vdatanet

Yeah, I don't know why this matters so much to you, I guess I'll never understand. It's a moot point, it matches once, and, all is well. Almost nothing lost. I've never had any hassle or problem with it. I suppose direct integration will be good, just depends what it actually supports. I would get benefit if it allowed management of Emby like timers, etc. Doubtful it will. Or live tv. In that way, it could completely replace the Emby client but I don't see that happening. 

Using FTP, SMB, NFS... images are cached on Apple TV. Using a Plex share (with last version), they don't:

- Updates are faster

- Cache data is smaller, using Plex 22 Mb and using FTP 3 Gb.

And that cache is purgeable, if Apple TV runs out of space, cache is purged and you have to match again all files and download metadata.

Edited by vdatanet

sfatula

Those seem like purist points though, doesn't impact anything for me at least that I can see. I don't have or need or want Plex, so, that doesn't matter to me at all. In fact, the hassle of yet another piece of software would far outweigh any minor annoyance. I would love to be Emby only, but would tolerate a different client far easier than a different additional server. Plex is terrible as a DVR.

YMMV.  :)

Edited by sfatula

vdatanet

Those seem like purist points though, doesn't impact anything for me at least that I can see. I don't have or need or want Plex, so, that doesn't matter to me at all. In fact, the hassle of yet another piece of software would far outweigh any minor annoyance. I would love to be Emby only, but would tolerate a different client far easier than a different additional server. Plex is terrible as a DVR.

YMMV.  :)

I also don't like Plex, I only wish a plex-like integration for Infuse and Emby.

Edited by vdatanet

M3th0s

What vdatanet said. If you have a huge library your cache will also be quite big.

So yeah direct integration will be miles better than ftp/smb/whatever.

sfatula

What vdatanet said. If you have a huge library your cache will also be quite big.

So yeah direct integration will be miles better than ftp/smb/whatever.

Ok, so, cache is big. Don't see any impacts from that at all, except, the cache is big. Curious at to how is that directly impacting you? Looking forward to direct integration, hoping it's just phase 1 though. 

Because if you have stuff that doesn't automatically match correctly, you have to fix it on every client.

sfatula

Because if you have stuff that doesn't automatically match correctly, you have to fix it on every client.

I actually considered that an advantage. Not fixing on every device, but it found the one show that had the wrong directory structure, so, once I fixed it, all devices fixed. 

I actually considered that an advantage. Not fixing on every device, but it found the one show that had the wrong directory structure, so, once I fixed it, all devices fixed. 

So, this isn't my experience with Infuse at all. Things that are just fine on Emby get matched poorly on Infuse. Note that this is stuff that doesn't exist in IMDb. Emby is content to leave it alone, Infuse won't.

sfatula

So, this isn't my experience with Infuse at all. Things that are just fine on Emby get matched poorly on Infuse. Note that this is stuff that doesn't exist in IMDb. Emby is content to leave it alone, Infuse won't.

That would definitely be an issue. Mine is all TV/Movies which work perfectly. 

Senna

MrMc has never worked for me, lockups, restarts, maybe get one video to play and then issues.. bla bla bla

That's your problem to solve about the lock ups, restarts and not my experience at all for years already with MrMC....

Still also using MrMC as my main client for Live TV and Movie content with the Emby Client service in MrMC.

Very little support too, from my experience with them.

I'm on their forums and Testflight much much longer than I have been active here and if you address Amet and Davilla normally, they will fix everything from my years of experience there.

vdatanet

Well, the real problem is the lack of support for HEVC HDR using mkv container using Emby for Apple TV. Talking about other products can make the real problem go unnoticed. Any plan to add support for that? Or it's a discarded feature?

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1