Standalone Music App

fizzyade

It's something to consider for the future. Thanks for the feedback.

wedgekc

There is an app for Jellyfin on Android called Gelli that seems to work with Emby.  I briefly tried it but really doesn't add any functionality and don't know how long it will be compatible with Emby.  If your interested you can download the apk from https://github.com/dkanada/gelli

I like to use Yatse.  It is not a separate music player but it has the shortcuts to music mentioned above and they are configurable (at least on Android).  It also does smart playlists which I like but it is not free.

• Like 1

DJIemby
9 hours ago, wedgekc said:

There is an app for Jellyfin on Android called Gelli that seems to work with Emby.  I briefly tried it but really doesn't add any functionality and don't know how long it will be compatible with Emby.  If your interested you can download the apk from https://github.com/dkanada/gelli

I like to use Yatse.  It is not a separate music player but it has the shortcuts to music mentioned above and they are configurable (at least on Android).  It also does smart playlists which I like but it is not free.

I tried 'Jellyamp' which talks to my Emby music library on my Mac and was ok but not great and needs alot of work. I would like an app to work on Android as well as IOS to support all my portable devices. Hopefully the Emby team can develop a dedicated music app to fill this missing key in the Emby community especially now the main cloud based music streamers are making it harder and harder to play music we own on our servers.

What if our app could put home screen shortcuts on your device to jump right into your music library in our app?

DJIemby
1 minute ago, Luke said:

What if our app could put home screen shortcuts on your device to jump right into your music library in our app?

That might work, but will need to test the shortcut route to see if it's a convenient option rather than a dedicated music app. If the shortcut can just go to the music folder and nothing else then i will be willing to test.

fizzyade
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

No, unless that shortcut showed Emby in a music only mode.

the issue isn’t the launching of the app, the issue is making it behave only like a music app. If you can still get to movies or elsewhere then it’s no good for my usage, I’m dealing with a wife who if it isn’t dead easy to use (I.e works like a music only player like Apple Music, PlexAmp, Spotify, etc) then she won’t use it, I get phone calls “I’m stuck in this part, how do I get back to music”

I’ll admit that I wasn’t happy when they spent their effort on plexamp, but as a mobile app it 100% makes sense. Music, just music makes it so easy for people less technical to use it, everybody knows how to use their music app on their phone fully.

the issue is making it behave only like a music app

Can you be more specific?

fizzyade
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you be more specific?

Simple.  Only music related options and nothing else, it doesn't matter how hidden the video player is or otherwise, it needs to not be there.

Take a look at Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, PlexAmp, they're optimised for a workflow dedicated to play music, they all have give or take the same look, feel and workflow.

This is why my wife will use Plexamp and won't use Emby for playing music.

• Like 2

DJIemby
3 hours ago, fizzyade said:

Simple.  Only music related options and nothing else, it doesn't matter how hidden the video player is or otherwise, it needs to not be there.

Take a look at Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, PlexAmp, they're optimised for a workflow dedicated to play music, they all have give or take the same look, feel and workflow.

This is why my wife will use Plexamp and won't use Emby for playing music.

I totally agree with what fizzyade has said. I have been looking for something that will play my own music in a clean and simple manner outside of Emby as a native music player for an Emby music library isn't currently available.

I have tried a few free services like Airsonic but having another server to manage wasn't great and kept crashing. I love Google Play Music as it works and does everything i want it too but it is closing its doors by the end of the year and YouTube music wants a premium for the same features that GPM offers for free now. I think there would be a big interest in a standalone Emby Music app. Emby has gathered a lot of attention and user respect over the years and to continue getting more Plex users to convert i feel it has to offer what people want if competition is offering it. Even Jellyfin has a Music App, even if it is in its infancy. Hopefully, developers can add this to the top of their 'to do list'.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
feerlessleadr
On 7/6/2020 at 12:37 PM, Luke said:

I know that others don't seem to like this  idea, but I would love this idea if it could be implemented. 

1 hour ago, feerlessleadr said:

I know that others don't seem to like this  idea, but I would love this idea if it could be implemented. 

For which platform? Every platform? Curious..

feerlessleadr
13 minutes ago, speechles said:

For which platform? Every platform? Curious..

Android specifically. To me, there are 2 features that are missing from the android app that would allow me to replace my local music playback:

1) ability to jump right into the music section

2) ability to turn shuffle on and off for the current queue (i.e. specifically, I want to be able to pick a song from a playlist and then have it shuffle after that, rather than just hitting shuffle and getting random songs from the start). 

The Gelli app for Jellyfin is also a great app, and worked pretty well on my test Jellyfin instance, but in the end, I really don't want to have to run 2 pieces of software to accomplish this. 

1) ability to jump right into the music section

2) ability to turn shuffle on and off for the current queue (i.e. specifically, I want to be able to pick a song from a playlist and then have it shuffle after that, rather than just hitting shuffle and getting random songs from the start). 

So based on these two small things that would seem to suggest that it's not that far off, no?

feerlessleadr
1 hour ago, Luke said:

So based on these two small things that would seem to suggest that it's not that far off, no?

Agree with you,I don't think it's far off for me personally at all.

I would say that the lack of shuffle (in my user case) is a pain in the ass though, which ultimately drives me to use another music player.

I actually just started using yatse, which I already bought for Kodi, and I really like it for playing music via emby. The only thing that is lacking is being able to access my emby playlists.

Very close on multiple fronts in terms of apps for Android though.

jlambie
On 7/6/2020 at 11:20 PM, DJIemby said:

I totally agree with what fizzyade has said. I have been looking for something that will play my own music in a clean and simple manner outside of Emby as a native music player for an Emby music library isn't currently available.

I have tried a few free services like Airsonic but having another server to manage wasn't great and kept crashing. I love Google Play Music as it works and does everything i want it too but it is closing its doors by the end of the year and YouTube music wants a premium for the same features that GPM offers for free now. I think there would be a big interest in a standalone Emby Music app. Emby has gathered a lot of attention and user respect over the years and to continue getting more Plex users to convert i feel it has to offer what people want if competition is offering it. Even Jellyfin has a Music App, even if it is in its infancy. Hopefully, developers can add this to the top of their 'to do list'.

If you would consider $119 annually (unfortunately no monthly payment), Roon is awesome. The metadata is in a class of its own, sound quality is amazing and it shines for multi-room audio.

It is worth the price, though at the moment has no external network connection. For use on the road and anywhere outside the home, I use Plexamp - I would rather have Roon, but Plexamp is a very good alternative.  

• 3 months later...
feerlessleadr
2 hours ago, DJIemby said:

Any further updates on when you top guys and gals will implement a Standalone Emby Music App?

If you're on Android, consider using/purchasing yatse. It works really well as a standalone emby music player, and has smart playlists, which is key for me. 

Hi, I use IOS as my main phone so would prefer an app that works on all devices like Emby main app. Will take a look at Yatse but as I have everything within Emby now would be good to not invest time in another app.

feerlessleadr

Yatse actually acts as a front end for emby (which is how I use it). In this case it doesn't matter though, since it isn't available for iOS.

• 2 months later...
DerrickM

I would love a stand alone app. been thinking about that for a while. When i get in my car and do a search I would rather not have to dig through movies and tv shows as well.

In both Emby for Android and iOS, you can create home screen shortcuts on your device to jump right into your music library.

feerlessleadr
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

In both Emby for Android and iOS, you can create home screen shortcuts on your device to jump right into your music library.

The issue is that (at least on every Android phone I've used) emby doesn't offer a shortcot using the emby app to jump right to the music library, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to edit this. 

@DerrickM If you use Android, I highly suggest using yatse in conjunction with emby. You are able to hide all of your other libraries and have it act as a standalone emby music player. Bonus for the fact that it has smart playlists as well. 

Just now, feerlessleadr said:

The issue is that (at least on every Android phone I've used) emby doesn't offer a shortcot using the emby app to jump right to the music library, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to edit this. 

@DerrickM If you use Android, I highly suggest using yatse in conjunction with emby. You are able to hide all of your other libraries and have it act as a standalone emby music player. Bonus for the fact that it has smart playlists as well. 

Tap and hold on the home screen icon for the Emby app and it will show you all of the shortcuts that are available. You can then pick one to make as a dedicated shortcut on the home screen.

feerlessleadr
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Tap and hold on the home screen icon for the Emby app and it will show you all of the shortcuts that are available. You can then pick one to make as a dedicated shortcut on the home screen.

I'm aware of how to do it, the issue is that the Music library is not offered as an option on any Android device I've ever used. My options have always only been TV, Movies, Downloads, & Manage Emby Server. 

I've brought this up earlier in this thread, but even when I have music as showing up as item 1 on my homescreen, I am not presented with an option in the shortcut menu for music, and there is no way to edit what shows up on the shortcuts screen. 

DerrickM
28 minutes ago, feerlessleadr said:

On my android, when I download yatse and then choose emby it says click ok to start your trial or learn about pro. Clicking ok just goes back to searching where it shows emby as an option. Cant start a trial though. Its a circle basically.