Standalone Music App

fizzyade

fizzyade

I know the answer to this is probably going to be no.....

...but....

A standalone music player for iOS would be very useful.  Trying to get the wife to use the full client for music is just not happening.  Something that was simple and intuative and quick and easy to use would be killer, something like spotify.

The simpler the app is to use, the better.

If all else fails, I have a project that's on the back burner that was an iOS music player for subsonic, but I could always target emby as well.  It had an spotify a-like interface.

Screenshot from as far as I got with the UI, it was playing back music from the server.

9EYQ3O8.jpg

• Like 16

When you open the Emby app and go into your music section, you see basically the same thing. Is it really that different?

Or just have an option for each device to jump directly into a specific library. In fact our android and iOS apps already have home screen shortcuts that allow you to jump directly into libraries.

fizzyade

Or just have an option for each device to jump directly into a specific library. In fact our android and iOS apps already have home screen shortcuts that allow you to jump directly into libraries.

I didn't know this.  I haven't looked at the API, but I guess you can detect a shortcut entry into the app?  If that's the case, maybe you could set the shortcut entry point as the "Home", i.e you can't get back to movies or anything, because that will definitely happen and my wife will get frustrated.

That would be pretty much solve the entire issue for me.

fizzyade

If the shortcut solution can be done, then I could dump SubSonic (although I'd have to find a way to make Emby play with sonos), the Emby audio player is nice, I just need to "sandbox" it!

fizzyade

Just tap and hold on the app icon on the home screen in android or iOS.

I know how to create shortcuts, my question is that would it be possible to have it so that the app used the shortcut location as the "Home" location, so the "root" effectively becomes the music and you can't navigate out of it to movies or tv or whatever.  I guarantee my wife would say "I'm lost, it's showing me movies, how do I get my music back?"

fizzyade

No but on android you can pin the shortcuts to your home screen.

This sounds like an ideal use case for Shortcuts, Emby doesn't seem to register any as it doesn't appear in the shortcuts app, but if there was a short cut which was "Launch as Music Player" which did what I said above then that would be awesome, beyond awesome.

i don't know what you mean by shortcuts app. It's just the homescreen of the device.

fizzyade

i don't know what you mean by shortcuts app. It's just the homescreen of the device.

iOS has a built in shortcuts system, apps can register actions that can be launched from the shortcuts app built into iOS, you can also add shortcuts directly to the home screen.  Even my calculator app registers a load of actions to get to certain pages quickily.

Currently we don't do that, but you can tap and hold the app icon for shortcuts. It might be ipad only though.

fizzyade

Currently we don't do that, but you can tap and hold the app icon for shortcuts. It might be ipad only though.

I know.  But there's an opportunity to add a lot of extra functionality here.

Here's a link to the user facing documentation so you can see what it looks like.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/shortcuts/welcome/ios

I can't imagine that it's very much effort to add shortcuts into the app, there could be some really useful ones, like open the admin dashboard directly (if the user obviously has admin permissions), force library scan etc.

feerlessleadr

Luke - I just looked on my Android 10 phone, and I don't see any way to edit the shortcuts that are provided by default (in my case Movies/TV/Downloads/Manage the Server). 

I would love to have a music shortcut for emby, but am not sure how to actually get it - any ideas?

• Like 1

I would imagine at some point we'll have configuration for it. But until we have that, there's a limit to the number of shortcuts the app can have, so the library order is the best means available to decide what to use.

fizzyade

I would imagine at some point we'll have configuration for it. But until we have that, there's a limit to the number of shortcuts the app can have, so the library order is the best means available to decide what to use.

Pleeeeeeeeeeese consider adding shortcut actions to the iOS app, this would be 1000% awesome.  Who is the developer of the iOS app?  Maybe I can bribe them with doughnuts?

fizzyade

We are.

Awesome.  Thanks Luke!

(Please consider my suggestion about a shortcut that effectively turns the app into a music only player.  I realise this is probably technically more complex with the view heirarchy, but it would be awesome to be able to launch the app as a music only version)

feerlessleadr

Is there a place in the app that I can modify the library order? 

My order definitely isn't TV, Movies, Downloads, Manage Emby Server.

Well the last two aren't configurable because they're not actual emby libraries, so it just picks your first two and then adds those two after it.

• 3 months later...
fizzyade

A friendly bump! 

I installed Pl*xAmp on my wife and eldests phone, and they love it.  She just can't handle the full app, it just behaves as you'd expect a music player to work, no getting lost in a video section or somewhere, it's intuitive as a music app because it's just a music app.

Luckily I had an unused lifetime pass, so I set up a server which is purely used for music.  I've now been able to dump Apple Music and my wife is extremely happy and in love with the music app.

For a phone, a standalone music option definitely makes sense in my eyes, something that's set up with the sole purpose of playing music, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who themselves or who have family members who just don't need the entire app.

I've got to say, I'm impressed with it as well, it's installed on my phone as well as my music player.

• Like 6

DJIemby

Luke, anything in the pipeline to have an app like 'PlexAmp' with the Emby Premiere Subscription??

Emby Music possibly?

• Like 5