Standalone Music App

fizzyade

fizzyade

The subsonic API has some really bizarre choices in how it works with some things that should be considerably easier than they should for something that is designed to stream music.

I started on an app, but once I discovered just how good plex amp is, I just used that instead as a have a lifetime subscription for it anyway.

i implemented a few of the controls that Spotify uses because it works pretty well, stuff is just place holders in this although the data was being retrieved from the subsonic server and it did actually play from the server as well.

trifleneurotic

@Luke

FYI - I started an authentication issue over at the repo. If you have any input go ahead and add your insight.

Also, if you have any other separate issues you think may be apropos, feel free to open up other issues.

Edited by landgazr
GitHub name change
  • Thanks 1

trifleneurotic

Hey all!

Just to let everybody know that I am working on a Subsonic API compatibility layer plugin as I have time (busy dad here). Feel free to bring up any issues or questions over at the repo.

I have been able to create a basic boilerplate plugin that extends the Emby API to allow for Subsonic calls and return a properly formed Subsonic response XML. Can't promise when it'll be "done", but I am of the mind that this is the hardest part, unless I find a Subsonic API task that really can't be implemented with Emby API calls.

I'll be sure to post periodic updates here.

• Thanks 6

trifleneurotic

Hey Embians!

Just an early update:

Made a lot of initial headway in the past couple of days on the Subsonic API plugin. Worked through a couple of thorny issues. I've barely started implementing the API (I'd only trust ping right now), although getLicense and getAlbumList appear to be working against my own Emby server at least.

Authentication probably was the biggest problem because the documentation and the Emby.ApiClient package are unfortunately quite dated. I'd love to contribute to one or both after I have an MVP for the Subsonic API plugin.

I know it hasn't been long since I last posted, but since others coding against the API sometimes seem to have issues with authentication, I wanted to at least let ya'lls know that I got it working, although my plugin code is in a very early state and shouldn't even be considered a solid example of Emby plugin best practices, let alone programming best practices. My focus is to get it working in the short term.

That being said, authentication works and if you are having API authentication problems feel free to go check out my plugin code.

As always, feel free to bring up any requests over at the repo, or questions here.

Cheers! Talk soon.

Edited by landgazr
Grammar fix
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
trifleneurotic

Hello fellow Embians!

Just wanted to post a quick update on my Emby plugin that provides a Subsonic API-compatible service layer to enable use of Subsonic apps against an Emby music library.

The Subsonic API page groups API calls by category, but I am working on the top 3 categories:

• System
  • Browsing
  • Album/song lists

I have roughly a third of those API calls implemented and am working on the remainder. After that my next priorities will be, in descending order:

• Playlists
  • Media retrieval
  • Searching

After I have at least a majority of the API methods from the above categories implemented with most of their parameters, I think we'll be ready for testing (right now I'm testing against my own local Emby instance running 4.6.7.0, and Android Subsonic apps subtracks and Audinaut).

Probably the main limitation right now is that the Subsonic app you are using needs to support legacy authentication (no hash/salt). I do plan to implement support for that kind of authentication later, probably leveraging an API key in my plugin's config page.

If you want to try it out right now you are more than welcome although it really only supports getting random songs, getting all artists, some browsing functionality and license/ping so it really isn't anything earth-shattering yet. Even the methods that do work don't support all of their (non-required) parameters at the moment.

I also have no instructions at the repo yet for building & installing, but if you have at least .NET Core 3.1 installed, you should be able to build the .DLL and copy it to your plugin directory. After that you'd need to restart Emby to "see" the plugin.

But that being said, I wouldn't even consider the plugin "alpha" so if you want to build the plugin, install it in Emby and try a Subsonic app against it, go ahead, but do so at your own risk.

As always, if you have any questions, problems or requests, feel free to bring up an issue at the repo (linked above).

I'll most another update probably later next week as more functionality is implemented.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

trifleneurotic

Greeting Embians!

Quick Subsonic plugin update:

Just got back home from an on-site work week abroad so I will be continuing work on the plugin this weekend. Had someone open an issue at the repo regarding support for Subsonic's Lyrics API, and since Emby 4.7 will apparently be supporting embedded and external lyrics, I will look into that, although I don't know at this time if there will be an Emby API LyricsService. I'll check out the newest beta Swagger to see if I can spot anything.

That said, I'll keep it on the front burner since that has been supported for a while in the Subsonic API anyway.

I also wanted to let ya'll know that I changed the name of the project slightly, as EmbySub could have been confused with subtitle functionality. New repo URL:

https://github.com/trifleneurotic/EmbySonic

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
timlance

Sadly I'm on iOS. I've discussed with the developer of my Subsonic app and he is not interested in porting/developing an Emby capable app. I suppose I could contact the developers of the other two main apps.

Ah, sorry to hear that.... a music app for Emby is so overdue, luckily for me and other Android users Symfonium fills that gap incredibly well.

27 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

Symfonium doesn't work on my device (xiaomi mi 10t pro)

That's strange? in what way? I have it on my Xiaimi 11t pro

bogdansrb
20 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

That's strange? in what way? I have it on my Xiaimi 11t pro

Well it doesn't show an install button on the play store

arrbee99

On their website it says 'We are approaching the first public non beta release', so maybe its not available in you country yet (it certainly started of restricted) ?

bogdansrb

That's weird, not sure what the issue was but I could install it afterall. Really cool app, might even make me switch from Plexamp!

• Like 1

rfporter

For desktop (Win, Mac, Linux), Sonixd is pretty good. Its built for Jellyfin but seems to work with Emby as well.

https://github.com/jeffvli/sonixd

My favorite feature is Resume Playback:
"Remember play queue on startup. The current Now Playing queue will be saved on exiting, and will be restored when you reopen Sonixd."

My play queue is my playlist.

Edited by rfporter
  • Like 1

Maisy

I installed Symfonium on my phone, unfortunately as nice as it is, I don't like that my server isn't scrobbling for the most part. I've tested playing albums, searched songs, the only track that scrobbles for me is Marvel Fanfare from Thor: Dark World soundtrack. I played that track again and it scrobbled. Nothing else will scrobble. Also my music library has a mix of really old rips which Emby app plays like a champ but Symfonium couldn't play right at all. Those are .wma My time is not worth converting or re-ripping anything I want to listen to, so Emby Music is still better.

Emby plays all my media and scrobbles too. Really it's not that bad, needs a few more tricks, Emby app that is, in the Music department.  It's OK  enough for now, with improvements coming to audiobooks sooner than later via server update, good things are happening.

vferg

I came here immediately after finding this app a few hours ago but it looks like everyone already found it! This thing has made my week, it has been forever since I have liked a phone app this much. It's crazy how new it is yet still goes way above the others I have tried. I saw the developers name and quickly realized it's the same guy who created yatse so I fully expect this to get way better over time. If you go over to his support site he is taking requests for features and a lot of people have had success pretty quickly.

TXK57

Just throwing my two cents in on this post. I think the music plays well within the main app and kind of like not having to have multiple apps.

I am on iOS and the biggest gripe for me is after a while or if I open other media say YouTube or Facebook and come back to Emby I have to start the queue again. A lot of times I will just shuffle all songs or my favorites.

I haven't used this on android/android auto so I'm not able to speak towards that. However, CarPlay could use a touchup. It is slow and isn't a clean layout. I find myself still utilizing the phone to scroll through "Not the best thing while driving" to pull up what I want or I jump back to plexamp. On the audiobook side as long as I start it before the drive it continues and does what it is supposed to. It would be nice to have auto rewind on resume for audiobooks. I opened separate feature request on that.