Calling all networking/IT gurus

AviatorBimmer

AviatorBimmer

My current setup has me running the Emby server on my PC with all media files stored on a Synology NAS. I have a 1GB UP / 1GB DOWN fiber connection to my modem then to my router. The NAS and PC are connected directly to the router via 1GB LAN connections, all on the same 192.168.2.x subnet.

The issue that I'm having is that when I'm downloading a large media file on my PC, I max out my line (downloading around 105-110MB/s), and I try to transfer a file to the NAS at the same time, my download and transfer speeds are affected as they both fight for bandwidth on the 1GB line.

To remedy this, I have ordered a 10GB switch that will be placed behind the router and then do one of 2 things.

1. Order single port 10GB NICs for the PC and NAS and connect both the PC and NAS directly to the 10Gb switch. Basically the same setup as I currently have but with a much larger bandwidth.

or

2. Order dual port 10GB NICs for the PC and NAS and connect both the PC and NAS to the 10GB switch using one of the ports and also connecting the PC and NAS to one another, using the 2nd port. In essence, the NAS and PC will connect to the Internet on one port and directly to one another on the other port. Thus isolating file transfers from Inetrnet downloads.

- Is this possible?

- Am I on the right track or overthinking this?

- What would be my best way to tackle this situation?

e28909dd85f88d635048abdea7cab3a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMBanana

The direct connection between the NAS and PC is probably unnecessary with the 10gbe connection.  If you're going to do it though it's pretty simple, just pick two arbitrary IPs in a different subnet and manually assign them on each port 2 for each device.  192.168.3.XXX for example.  

Port 1 on each device doesn't need to change, they should both remain on the 192.168.2.XXX subnet

• Like 2

AviatorBimmer

The direct connection between the NAS and PC is probably unnecessary with the 10gbe connection. If you're going to do it though it's pretty simple, just pick two arbitrary IPs in a different subnet and manually assign them on each port 2 for each device. 192.168.3.XXX for example.

Port 1 on each device doesn't need to change, they should both remain on the 192.168.2.XXX subnet

Ok, here is a dumb question. How would the PC know to use Port 2 when transferring a file to the NAS on port 2? Because technically it can still see it as well on port 1 via the switch, right?

Edited by AviatorBimmer

KMBanana

Have the windows box connect to the 192.168.3.XXX IP rather than the NAS's hostname or however you currently connect to it is the simplest.  You can edit your windows hostfile as well to have it always resolve to the 192.168.3.XXX IP.  

• Like 1

AviatorBimmer

Have the windows box connect to the 192.168.3.XXX IP rather than the NAS's hostname or however you currently connect to it is the simplest. You can edit your windows hostfile as well to have it always resolve to the 192.168.3.XXX IP.

To be honest, the more we talk about, the less I want to do this separate peer to peer connection.

Seems like too much tweaking and hacking when just by connecting directly to the switch should suffice. lol I tend to over think things and make it unnecessarily harder on myself.

maegibbons

@@KMBanana 's advice is absolutely correct.

I would have written his post word for word exactly the same.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Molly_kinetic

Don't connect your PC to the NAS directly like that, you have created a network loop which will wreak havoc as some packets go to the switch and other to the NAS.  Let the switch forward the packets, it's what it's for.

Make sure that you switch, nas and pc nic all support link aggregation (lag) / bonding in some form or another so that you can actually connect 2 or more nics and have the traffic handled efficiently.  Plugging in extra cables does not mean that you will get extra performance.

Other than this you have a simple set up that should be pretty fast depending on the binding method you use and the disk bottleneck.  You wont get 1Gbps off the nas, i doubt it anyway but it depends on how you have the disks set up and the type of lag you use.

Who are you getting the 1Gbps/1Gbps internet connection from?

maegibbons

Don't connect your PC to the NAS directly like that, you have created a network loop which will wreak havoc as some packets go to the switch and other to the NAS. Let the switch forward the packets, it's what it's for.

This is incorrect. A layer 2 network loop will NOT be created unless the interfaces on both the PC and the NAS are internally bridged which is not the default configuration.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

Molly_kinetic

This is incorrect. A layer 2 network loop will NOT be created unless the interfaces on both the PC and the NAS are internally bridged which is not the default configuration.

Krs

Mark

And how then is the device going to know which interface to send it's packets from then?  Dude, it is a loop with no tangible benefit, there is no point in connecting it like that.

maegibbons

And how then is the device going to know which interface to send it's packets from then? Dude, it is a loop with no tangible benefit, there is no point in connecting it like that.

Because it is on a seperate subnet!!!! Traffic is targeted on the seperate LAN completely.

It is NOT a layer 2 loop unless the interfaces are bridged!!

I do this every day with multihomed devices.

There is ONE major benefit - a ptp dedicated interface between the NAS and PC uncongested by other traffic on the main network/ switch.

Whether this would matter based on OP's traffic volume is another question.

The question was perfectly answered by @@KMBanana originally. Your addition was unnecessary and technically wrong!!

Dude.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 2