Certain H264 videos stuttering only on Apple TV

justwondering

justwondering

I'm having an issue with a few specific videos that stutter when played on the Emby app for Apple TV. They appear fine in every other respect (H.264, AAC audio) and they play fine in VLC and in the Emby web client. But on the Apple TV they stutter to the point of being totally unwatchable.

Here's a Dropbox link with one of the video files in question (Sesame Street), a phone video showing the stuttering behavior on my TV, and the server log from that time:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8jus4frf4b8sw0c/AAD7m1v6yhLiJYV5a355T9eAa

The video of it playing on the TV looks awful because it's a phone video of a TV. Just to be clear, the picture looks fine on the actual TV, it just stutters terribly.

Thanks for looking.

vdatanet

@@sfatula, @@vdatanet are you able to reproduce with this file?

It's not a sample, I think it's a phone video recording, so I can't test, I guess it's an interlaced file. For playing that media, native player is needed. 

@@justwondering Can you send a sample of the video or media info?

justwondering

It's not a sample, I think it's a phone video recording, so I can't test, I guess it's an interlaced file. For playing that media, native player is needed. 

@@justwondering Can you send a sample of the video or media info?

It's already in the Dropbox folder I linked to:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8jus4frf4b8sw0c/AAD7m1v6yhLiJYV5a355T9eAa

It's the 711.64 MB file called "sesame.street.s42e09.the.good.bird's.club.mp4". If it's not showing up for you, please let me know and I'll see if I can find another way to send it.

Sorry but I'm not sure how to determine if the file is interlaced.

Edited by justwondering

vdatanet

No, it's not interlaced. For me, using latest beta, video plays fine (direct play) using both players (native & mpv). Can you join the beta program to test if it plays fine for you? Ask @@ebr for a Testflight invitation. Remember to provide him your app store mail.

Edited by vdatanet

sfatula

You are playing the recorded video. Test with original file.

Doh! So, didn't even see the other video (no idea how!). Anyway, playing the original plays flawlessly using native player, fast and perfect. But, I am using current non Beta server, and, Beta Apple TV client. 

Edited by sfatula