Xbox 1 - Suddenly, content no longer plays, just a spinning wheel

JBL

Hi Everyone, 

My Emby for XB1 no longer plays any content, all I receive is the spinning wheel in the center of the screen. 

Last night I watching content on my XB1 via Emby. Today, out of nowhere, content will no longer play via Emby on my XB1. 

A screenshot is attached of the issue. 

Here is what I've done to troubleshoot, all to no avail: 

1). Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled the Emby app on my XB1 

2). Signed in as a different user 

3). Rebooted my entire home network (the XB1 is connected via Cat5 to the same Netgear Nighthawk as my Emby Server) 

4). Tested playing back the same exact content on any/all of my other Emby apps (Android, web, Samsung TV, Win10, etc.) 

5). Installed Plex on the XB1 and Plex Server on my Server...the same exact content plays normally 

There's no doubt the issue is isolated to Emby on my XB1. 

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I should take at this point? 

Are there any log files from my Emby server that would help? 

Thx! 

• Like 1

Diskkonnected

+1 for this issue

I'm experiencing the same thing with Xbox one. Was working fine until last night, I can launch emby, browse all content but the second I start to play anything I get the spinning circle of death. Nothing has changed in my environment, all other devices play fine, only seems to be Xbox one.

Edited by Diskkonnected
  • Like 2

seanbuff

@@Luke I can confirm this

Just tried playback of known working file, all i get is spinning circle. As others have said, was working fine last night. There has been no update on the Server end (4.4.0.29)

Xbox Emby version = Emby for Windows 1.1.293.70

Debug server log attached

Playback was around 2020-03-20 11:57

embyserver_xbox_spinning.txt

seanbuff

I don't know, is it greater than the version I posted above?

Xbox app updates are often handled silently, so I would assume no.

FrostByte

I'm running 294 and watching Westworld right now without issues

Edit:  direct playing too

Edited by FrostByte

I'm running 294 and watching Westworld right now without issues

Edit:  direct playing too

Great, thanks !

edzz83

I have been experiencing the same issues. I have version 1.1.294.70 and I'm still getting bizarre crash/freeze issues, loading wheel like others etc. I often find if I do a full reboot of Xbox it works once or so but after soft off n on it does it again.

I've tried reinstalling the app but still no good.

Emby works fine remotely on other devices in nwtwoek... just the xbox app crashes still. Any tips?

• Like 1

edzz83

I have been experiencing the same issues. I have version 1.1.294.70 and I'm still getting bizarre crash/freeze issues, loading wheel like others etc. I often find if I do a full reboot of Xbox it works once or so but after soft off n on it does it again.

I've tried reinstalling the app but still no good.

Emby works fine remotely on other devices in nwtwoek... just the xbox app crashes still. Any tips?

edzz83

As an addtional note... I tried reinstalling again. Upon fresh install it works... then if I turn off my Xbox... then back on, try again to load emby ans to play something again yields the forever loading ring.

If I do a full off of the xbox n back on (like a full restart where it full powers off n on again with Xbox load screen) it will work again until I do the soft power mode sleep (which I usually use).

We basically can't use emby ATM without wiat8ng for the xbox to full power off. N when the forever spinning ring comes up it sometime freezes the console/ux

• Like 2

khodges747

Same problem here but if I set the XBox to NOT do fast start (i.e. it reboots every time I turn it on) the problem with Theater is solved.

• Like 1

oceanclub

Hi there,

I also had the same issue, and switching off 'fast start' on my XBox One X resolved it. Hope this issue can be fixed as I prefer having that setting on.

P

• Like 1

Thanks Luke! Do you still want to see my Emby Server's logfiles? If so I'll get them into this thread. 

Thanks to everyone else who hopped into this thread and confirmed they also had the same exact issue. 

Thx to @edzz83  @@khodges747 @@FrostByte for the heads up on the "Full Shutdown" workaround. 

I ran thru a Full Shutdown, then powered on, my XB1, and am able to play back content. 

Given the state of the world right now, having to use a workaround to watch movies and TV shows is not a huge deal  ;) in the interim. 

edzz83

Hey @@Luke,

Please find attached my sever logs.

within the last bout 5+ minutes before i saved the log i tested the issue.

I first tried loading emby on my LG TV, played a movie, it worked fine.

After that, i opened it on my XBOX One S, i then tried to play the movie, i went back out of that movie (after getting spinning wheel) and tried again to play the movie a few times. Still just spinning wheel and no playing.

Also during this process i noticed that the UX on my LG 4k TV which is quite new, looks really great rendered inthe native 4k, it seems my XBOX does not do this in the emby app and it looks quite terrible in comparison (i assume its in 1080p??? i know S wont do games in 4k but i thoguht the rest would be fine? why is there a 4k setting then??), I do have 4k on in my xbox settings etc, is this a limitation of the xbox apps or?? I do rather use my xbox as the central service for my media however, now im concerend that maybe the movies are not also rendering in the best quality possible given the UX looks terrible on xbox. Can you confirm this? Its hard for me to test video playback right now as the xbox emby version keeps doing the spinning wheel when trying to play, but im concerned about it. As far as im aware the xbox one S should do 4k video/interface but not gaming? can you confirm this with the emby app etc?

If i can do anything else to help troubleshoot please let me know as this problem is quite frustrating.

embyserver.txt

Edited by edzz83

Chiefmas

Same problem here but if I set the XBox to NOT do fast start (i.e. it reboots every time I turn it on) the problem with Theater is solved.

No, it sounds like we have our answer. Thanks for the investigation.

I had this problem happening with one of my friends non local, but everything worked fine from local. Full reboot solved it.

That tells me this is the normal Xbox network problem. The Xbox on fast boot doesn't renew a lot of it's network settings like it really should when it does a fast boot.

Typically, a couple of things end up happening: the Xbox assumes dynamic port forwards are still there forever, and it assumes it's DHCP issued IP also belongs to it forever. The side effect is, that after a day or two, to a week usually (differing routers have different time outs for these things), the forwarding rules get closed, and the IP can get recycled. Obviously these cause weird, different problems, but the fix of rebooting the Xbox is needed because that's the easiest way to make it renew all it's network settings with the router. So yeah, it's annoying, but expect it to happen again if you aren't doing full reboots of the Xbox once in a while, or don't have static rules in place to forward ports to the Xbox specifically.

• Like 1

khodges747

It sounds like you know lots more than I do about XBox networking, but the problem is NOT what you describe.

For many months (years?) we could run MBT on XBox in fast start mode with no problem. This week we have to reboot the XBox EVERY time (not once in a while).

Unless a recent XBox update screwed this up, it sounds to me like a problem with the app.

carpenter2003

I just started trying Emby a few weeks ago.  Like others have said my Xbox One app was working fine the first week or so.  Then last week it started doing the "spinning wheel" anytime I used Emby for the "second time" and attempted to play something.  Basically after a full reboot of the Xbox Emby works fine, could play multiple items one after the other.  But as soon as I either minimized and used another app and then came back to Emby, or the Xbox went into standby mode, it would no longer play anything, just a spinning wheel.  Even force closing Emby and restarting just the App would not help at that point.

• Like 1

jbscout

Xbox One X app v 1.1.294.70

@@jbscout

When I start Emby, everything looks fine.

I go to a movie, and it doesn't ever show the version information line and pull-down menu (e.g., 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc.).  Everything else displays correctly.

If I hit Play, then it acts like it is starting to play and just has the waiting circle spin forever.

I have to force quit the app.

Re-running the app doesn't fix anything.

But, rebooting the Xbox does fix it, until the next night.  (I watch Emby from 10pm to 12am).

Loading Emby on Roku while the circle of death is going on (or instead of the Xbox), works just fine.   

Xbox has been complaining about a full cache.  Which I have "cleared" (as much confidence as I have in those instructions).  Hard drive at 47%

Suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by Luke

Chiefmas

It sounds like you know lots more than I do about XBox networking, but the problem is NOT what you describe.

For many months (years?) we could run MBT on XBox in fast start mode with no problem. This week we have to reboot the XBox EVERY time (not once in a while).

Unless a recent XBox update screwed this up, it sounds to me like a problem with the app.

I agree, it could still be an app issue, but it very much looks like typical Xbox networking problems.

How familiar are you with networking, generally? Specifically, do you just let your network kinda handle everything automatically?

It can still easily be what I was describing with no changes on the Xbox end if your network router updated. For people that are using their provider's equipment, you may not even know if an update happened.  Also, if you changed any of your networking setup, hardware in particular...

The way to test it is to assign static addresses to the Xbox, and see if the problem goes away.  This doesn't address if it's a dynamic rule assignment issue, but you shouldn't have that issue with http/https. What it does fix though, is if you are getting a DHCP address, and your Xbox never renews the lease(which is exactly what doesn't happen on fast boot), but keeps using the IP. This causes all sorts of funny problems. By assigning a static outside the DHCP pool, you can prevent some of the funky stuff that happens with Xbox networking.

But it certainly wouldn't be the first time a Windows 10 update messed something up somewhere either.