Server crash when loading posters in library

Drobac Boris

Drobac Boris

Emby Server 4.3.1.0
Emby smart tv app 1.0.76

I also had problems before with server crashing on poster loading when i open movie page..

Now i noticed this when i open movie library, after that i must start emby server again. Server is on raspberry pi

https://streamable.com/b8o8l

Log file is sent in private message to Luke

Hi, can you supply the previous log? The one you sent appears to be from after starting the server back up. thanks.

Hmm, thanks for the log files. There's nothing obvious unfortunately. We're about to release Emby Server 4.4. Can you please re-evaluate with that once available? Thanks.

Drobac Boris

I updated server and now posters loading doesn't crash emby server. If i notice the problem again i will let you know. Thanks.

I updated server and now posters loading doesn't crash emby server. If i notice the problem again i will let you know. Thanks.

Excellent, thanks for the feedback !

Drobac Boris

Hi @@Luke i got server crashing again when i enter movie page for the first time, i think problem is with ram memory, I'm on raspberry pi 3b (1024mb ram) and when i have 400-500 free memory everything load fine, if i have ~200 free memory emby can crash. I watched htop and how emby behave when i enter movie pages, and every time i enter emby will use some chunk of new ram memory, and release it after movie page (posters) is loaded. Please can you test it?

And i checked option in library settings that posters should download after movie is imported. So what emby does when i enter movie page for the first time? Is it preloading posters on different resolution?

Hi @@Luke i got server crashing again when i enter movie page for the first time, i think problem is with ram memory, I'm on raspberry pi 3b (1024mb ram) and when i have 400-500 free memory everything load fine, if i have ~200 free memory emby can crash. I watched htop and how emby behave when i enter movie pages, and every time i enter emby will use some chunk of new ram memory, and release it after movie page (posters) is loaded. Please can you test it?

And i checked option in library settings that posters should download after movie is imported. So what emby does when i enter movie page for the first time? Is it preloading posters on different resolution?

Hi, have you updated to Emby Server 4.4?

Drobac Boris

I tried accumulating active ram to ~750mb and then i turned on debug logging and started the test with emby. But i freezed raspberry pi few times and i gave up..

I tried accumulating active ram to ~750mb and then i turned on debug logging and started the test with emby. But i freezed raspberry pi few times and i gave up..

Can you please attach the emby server log? Thanks.

Drobac Boris

I managed to crash emby server again with entering movie pages in emby app, i sent you a debug log.
Also i recorded emby server process - https://streamable.com/xu4ko

Maybe it's not ram memory, i don't know. i entered 20-30 movie pages before it crashed, and memory spikes were similar..

Drobac Boris

Sorry, i don't understand your question.?

Movie posters came through emby. I don't have control how large they are.

Do you think posters are the reason why emby crash?

Right now I'm not sure. What model RPI? are you using the right architecture package?

MichaIng

Hey guys, Micha from DietPi here.

Some background about the setup of Emby on DietPi:

1. It is disabled or ARMv6 RPi models (RPi1 and Zero), so the armhf packages are correct, pulling required dependencies from official Raspbian repo in case.
  2. The latest pre-compiled package from GitHub source is pulled, hence 4.4.0.40 at time of writinghttps://api.github.com/repos/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/latest
  3. The emby user is added to shared dietpi group to have access to default media directory, else no special setup done, so basically a default setup like one would do on default Raspbian.

Since you observe the crash when having high RAM usage, and I also see in your video that used RAM is frequently jumping quite close to the total limit, I guess it is simply the OOM killer.

Please paste the output of the following:

journalctl -u emby-server

And also check journalctl + demsg for other system and kernel messages that match the time the service crashes.

Generally I would not run the system that way that regularly 80% and more of physical RAM are used. If there is some heavier cron job or systemd timer running concurrently, it will quickly run OOM. Even if it works, there is nearly nothing left for file system caching and similar, reducing performance in general. However to prevent OOM kills and generally verify that indeed memory limit is the reason, you can create a swap file: 

/DietPi/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_swapfile 1

This will create a 1 GiB swapfile on your system. "1" means it creates a swapfile with a size so that 2 GiB total memory are available, else you could use e.g. "512" for a 512 MiB swapfile or "0" to disable it again, or in case use dietpi-drive_manager to create it on a different drive, as this should no be on the SDcard.

• Like 1

MichaIng

Great it helped. As said, if you can, try to reduce general memory usage, e.g. go through other services you might not require and disable/uninstall them. The swapfile should at best be only used during rare/unexpected high memory peaks, especially when it's located on the SDcard.