Shield TV server constantly lagging when playing back on a client.

dshoup00

dshoup00

I have the first gen Shield TV. I tried both versions of Emby server(Stable and Beta). My library consists of .strm files which pass files stored on the internet through my server to the client(Usually Firestick 4k or my phone). I tried using the emby server over Wifi and over ethernet. Neither work well. The movies are constantly pausing for extended periods of time before resuming. The video source downloads/streams at 100 megabytes per second so that isn't the issue.

I have an Intel NUC that I was using before and this worked perfectly on that. My internet is 300/300. I was able to stream multiple 75gb blurays at a time using the NUC as the server. I can't even stream one 2gb movie on my nvidia shield TV. Any ideas why I am having so many issues with the Nvidia Shield TV as my server instead?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

dshoup00

Thanks for responding so quickly. I'll attach the logs shortly. And I also forgot to mention that I turned off all types of transcoding for the specific user so it's direct play/stream. For both cases.

Edited by dshoup00

Hi, have you tried adding the files directly to a library without using strm files, just to see how that compares?

dshoup00

Just tried what you suggested. Works just fine. But I don't have all the media locally. That's why I use strms. And it worked perfectly on my nuc.

Edited by dshoup00

have you tried lowering the in-app quality setting so that the server will transcode it to a lower bitrate?

dshoup00

I turned off transcoding. Only directplay or directstream is allowed.

I'm not really sure what to say them because lagging playback is almost always a sign that the bitrate is too high for the connection.

dshoup00

I tried reinstalling the beta version. Tried testing the strm files but I'm still running into the same issue where it will play for a couple seconds then pause for a while then continue playing and pause again etc.

Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting so that the server will transcode it to a lower bitrate? That will solve most pausing, stuttering issues, etc. Thanks.