Transcode 5.1 AAC to 5.1 AC3 for ARC connections

HanzoX7

HanzoX7

I have a bunch of movies that have 5.1 AAC audio, which get sent to my receiver as 2.0 PCM. Is there an option or way to make Emby transcode 5.1 AAC to 5.1 AC3 to somewhat preserve multichannel audio? My receiver is connected over ARC.

• Like 2

rbjtech

Pre-processing is an option to create and insert an AC3 track and make it the default track 0, created from the AAC 5.1 track 0 (which then becomes track 1) ..

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a  -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:a:0 ac3 -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 output.mkv

Quality may be an issue as you are going from an already compressed track to another compressed codec.

• Like 1

HanzoX7

I've used an AC3 encoder to do that separately, but it's a chore to be honest. It's mostly old movies that I ripped back when storage was expensive... their audio wasn't that great to begin with, so the quality loss isn't a major issue, at least for me. It would be great if there was an option for the player to do this automagically and perhaps have options for the bitrate for speed and hardware considerations. If I recall correctly, Kodi has this option.

If not possible or will take a long time to develop / implement, it's not the end of the world. I can always use one of the fancy "surround sound" modes from the receiver.

Yes an option like this is possible for the future. It's something that has come up before.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
av3nger

Yes an option like this is possible for the future. It's something that has come up before.

Would love it. Like my 5.1 system, but also like the space savings/Bandwidth of AAC.

The Transcode to AC3 option that Kodi possesses is a much needed feature of Emby.

• 3 years later...

I assume this is a low priority issue. Seems to be a persistent issue for awhile now. Add me to the list of users who would like the capability to transcode aac to ac3. 

My apologies. I just found the setting on my Roku TV Emby app. Weird, seems like it wasn't there last time I checked. Anyhow, all good now.

• Thanks 1