Transcoding not stopping correctly when using Live TV

ctn06675

ctn06675

Hello,

I was having an issue with Live TV where the stream would stop unexpectedly. I tracked the issue down to the drive where the transcoding files are going, filling up. I have noticed that if I am watching through the web app and go back or close the browser, many times the ffmpeg process won't close.

I have also noticed that even if I stop the ffmepg process(es), the .TS file still continues to increase (which makes no sense to me).

I am using one SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime.

• 4 weeks later...
mrnoodle

HI there, can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

I am having similar issue too with streams being left open after being improperly closed taking up slots on iptv. I had a 80 gb folder filling up the transcoding folder. The activity section on emby is failing to display the active stream that is running behind the scenes. Rebooting emby releases all running streams and takes care of the oversize cache folder. I believe this is an already know issue.

I am having similar issue too with streams being left open after being improperly closed taking up slots on iptv. I had a 80 gb folder filling up the transcoding folder. The activity section on emby is failing to display the active stream that is running behind the scenes. Rebooting emby releases all running streams and takes care of the oversize cache folder. I believe this is an already know issue.

Can we please look at an example using the information requested above? thanks.

mrnoodle

Can we please look at an example using the information requested above? thanks.

I will provide step by step instructions on how to reproduce this bug.

I am running Xteve handling the m3u but regardless of that it still holds a slot on a direct connection to my provider.

1) Open chrome on your computer (I am using windows 10)

2) Head over to your emby server.

3) Open a live TV M3U channel.

4) Before the stream loads while there is a swirl loading symbol pre-buffering the video close chrome the tab. (This part has to be done quickly before the video loads)

5) That is it. If you would like to confirm if reproducing the bug worked follow the steps below.

6) check your IPTV provider or Xteve to see that the stream is still open using up a slot.

7) Check emby activity section and displays no streams running meanwhile if you check your trascoding cache folder properties it is being continuously filled.

To stop the bug reboot emby server cache will be emptied and stream will be terminated.

If this fails allow a few more seconds of pre-buffering on step 4

This can be repeated until every slot is full on your iptv

I have not tested this bug on other devices yet but I do believe it is happening with changing channels mid buffering (not confirmed)

• 4 weeks later...
vash5978

Has any progress been made on this bug? I am really surprised that more people are not complaining about going over their allotted tuner limit, or maybe they are but just don't realize it, or their provider auto kills older streams when a new connection is made. Its plain as day to see these "ghost" streams taking up tuners on xteve when on the Emby dashboard no one watching live TV. I really hope this gets looked at and fixed as it is absolutely ruining my TV experience on Emby and may push me into other alternatives if it goes unfixed.

I have an easier way to recreate this bug then what mrnoodle suggests above.

1. Open your favorite web browser and open 2 tabs in it and go to your Emby sever in both.

2. In one of the tabs go watch a live TV stream

3. In the other tab sign out of Emby, this will in turn kick you out of your live stream on the other tab.

You will now have a "ghost" stream running that does not show up in the Emby dashboard, repeat until your are at your max allotted tuner limit in xteve, picking a different channel in step 1 every time. This can also be easily proven by either looking at the logs in xteve and it showing a tuner is still in use, or even by trying to watch a different channel then what you used in step 1 once you hit your max tuner limit, you will get no more streams available.

The only way to fix this is by restarting Emby, the tuners will then free up. Note: It does not matter if it is direct streaming or transcoding the stream, i have tested both and it worked every time. Also I have tested this on both Firefox and Chrome and again I hit this bug every time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes I can reproduce this using the tab method (start tv channel playing and close it) as mentioned earlier.  Once the tuner gets allocated it will not unlock the tuner.

You can do this until all tuners are used.  If you use another client to wath the same channel  Emby will use the tuner already in use fine, but won't unlock it when you close that viewing.

• 4 months later...
terry@tadbs.com

Having a similar problem when viewing Live TV that started recording earlier. Fast forwarding freezes and no further viewing can be made.

Also, when Live TV is recording, and trying to view a recorded episode, playback is stopped in about 40 seconds. When you start it again, it plays for about 40 seconds. After a few more starts, it just freezes.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, terry@tadbs.com said:

Having a similar problem when viewing Live TV that started recording earlier. Fast forwarding freezes and no further viewing can be made.

Also, when Live TV is recording, and trying to view a recorded episode, playback is stopped in about 40 seconds. When you start it again, it plays for about 40 seconds. After a few more starts, it just freezes.

Hi there @terry@tadbs.com, let's look at an example. Please see how to report a media playback issue. thanks !