Family reporting no letters.

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156872 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 AM

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:02 AM

Hi there, please provide a more detailed description of your problem. Screenshot examples would be great. Thanks.

#3 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:46 AM

As I have mentioned in another thread if I am browsing my movies and change my sorting to any of the sorts that make the letters disappear, say date added, and then change it back to name/ascending where the letters should be the letters do not reappear until I exit the library and reenter it. That is if I do anything that makes the letters go away they will not come back until I exit and reenter the library.

I wonder if @vaise is seeing something of the same. I should also remind him that if the sort by name is descending then, for now, there will be no letters. The letters have not been implemented for name sorting in descending order.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48, 16 March 2020 - 09:47 AM.

#4 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 51946 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:16 PM

@speechles can you please look at this?

#5 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6085 posts
  • Local time: 05:20 AM

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:41 PM

@ebr sure ;)

Found the problem...

Reference:

Fix #818: [PosterGrid] Fix alphapicker not reappear issue

Edited by speechles, 16 March 2020 - 06:05 PM.

#6 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1215 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:33 PM

Cool.

#7 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:11 PM

@ebr sure ;)

Found the problem...

Reference:

Fix #818: [PosterGrid] Fix alphapicker not reappear issue

When will the fix be pushed out to the beta app? Just curious, not being pushy, much.  B)  :D

#8 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 51946 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:24 AM

It may be a couple of days.  Thanks.

#9 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:02 PM

It may be a couple of days.  Thanks.

I guess we have different definitions of the word "couple." It is now 30 Mar 2020 and we still have not had this fix rolled out to the beta app. I just would like to see this taken care of so I can obsess about something else.  ;)  :D  B)

#10 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156872 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:06 PM

I guess we have different definitions of the word "couple." It is now 30 Mar 2020 and we still have not had this fix rolled out to the beta app. I just would like to see this taken care of so I can obsess about something else.  ;)  :D  B)

https://www.androidp...days-or-longer/

#11 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:11 PM

But this is the Roku app and has nothing to do with any app store or Android (Roku does not even run Android it runs a version of Linux) and, since it is the beta, it does not have to go through the Roku approval process.

Mostly your answers and suggestions are very good but you really should avoid posting bad information.

#12 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156872 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:20 PM

Sorry, my mistake. I misread what section we are in. We're seeing delays across the board though, no matter whether or not it has been officially announced.

#13 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 51946 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:21 AM

Hi.  Sorry.  We'll get a new beta out asap.

#14 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:17 AM

Hi.  Sorry.  We'll get a new beta out asap.

Well the new beta (3.0.215) does not seem to have fixed the problem.

If I enter my movies library the letters are displayed.

If I then change the sort order to descending the letters go away as is expected at least for now.

if I then change the sort order back to ascending the letters do not reappear as they should.

To get the letters back I have to exit and reenter the library.

There are also some new misbehavior like:

Before if I chose the "A/Z with an arrow next to it" from the top menu and I was shown the "Sort by" list and I then pressed the up arrow I was taken to the "Sort order" section at the bottom.

Now the up arrow exits the "Sort by" and returs to the menu at the top of the screen. To get to sort order I have to use the down arrow and scroll all the way to the bottom. 

I have also ran into several other bugs, too numerous to detail at this time, related to trying to change the sort by or sort order including a situation where you can bring up the sort by menu and it is displayed on the screen but the arrow keys actually move the selection box for the movies. That is the sort by menu is displayed but te focus remains on the movies.

I apologize for rushing you. It seems this beta is not ready for beta release as it made things worse. In the future I will keep quite when asking for a little fix that has been delayed some.

For now I would suggest rolling the beta back to the earlier version as this fixed nothing and introduced a swarm of new bugs.

#15 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 51946 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:08 PM

Well the new beta (3.0.215) does not seem to have fixed the problem.

If I enter my movies library the letters are displayed.

If I then change the sort order to descending the letters go away as is expected at least for now.

if I then change the sort order back to ascending the letters do not reappear as they should.

To get the letters back I have to exit and reenter the library.

There are also some new misbehavior like:

Before if I chose the "A/Z with an arrow next to it" from the top menu and I was shown the "Sort by" list and I then pressed the up arrow I was taken to the "Sort order" section at the bottom.

Now the up arrow exits the "Sort by" and returs to the menu at the top of the screen. To get to sort order I have to use the down arrow and scroll all the way to the bottom. 

I have also ran into several other bugs, too numerous to detail at this time, related to trying to change the sort by or sort order including a situation where you can bring up the sort by menu and it is displayed on the screen but the arrow keys actually move the selection box for the movies. That is the sort by menu is displayed but te focus remains on the movies.

I apologize for rushing you. It seems this beta is not ready for beta release as it made things worse. In the future I will keep quite when asking for a little fix that has been delayed some.

For now I would suggest rolling the beta back to the earlier version as this fixed nothing and introduced a swarm of new bugs.

@speechles....

#16 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6085 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

@speechles....

Reference:

Fix #829: [PosterGrid] Fix a few bugs ( alphapicker + navigation on sortby/sortorder ) 

Just submitted. This will solve all those problems.

@Gilgamesh_48 Apologies. Soon you will be back to normal. I am super curious though about the focus bugs. Please report back about the focus bugs where you lose focus and its on movies like you describe above. I just need to know how to reproduce and can squash all those bugs too.

Edited by speechles, 31 March 2020 - 02:28 PM.

#17 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 6085 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

I love your optimism. There is no rush. This is what the BETA is for is to expose these bugs before they get to the store. Everything is normal. There were no new bugs introduced other than the focus wrapping of the sortby/sortorder was changed to drop users out of the context menu and close it. That change you took as a bug but was really a feature to exit. But you see it as a bug so we will change that back.

The alpha picker problem is now solved. We just were not covering every single corner case. Now it is always correct when to show the alpha picker or not. That logic has been corrected in every case.

The focus bug though you have. I am very, very interested in hearing back on how to cause that. Please if you experience any more issues please let us know what they are. The faster the better. You are not too fast, throwing too much at once, or burying us with issues. We need users like you to "play with the beta app" and find these things. Please continue to be just as great as you have always been. Please be very critical. We do not need nice words and pats on our backs (although it is good to hear these things). We really need honest and brutal criticism and where we are fail you. Thanks again. :)

Edited by speechles, 31 March 2020 - 02:42 PM.

#18 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:55 PM

I love your optimism. There is no rush. This is what the BETA is for is to expose these bugs before they get to the store. Everything is normal. There were no new bugs introduced other than the focus wrapping of the sortby/sortorder was changed to drop users out of the context menu and close it. That change you took as a bug but was really a feature to exit. But you see it as a bug so we will change that back.

The alpha picker problem is now solved. We just were not covering every single corner case. Now it is always correct when to show the alpha picker or not. That logic has been corrected in every case.

The focus bug though you have. I am very, very interested in hearing back on how to cause that. Please if you experience any more issues please let us know what they are. The faster the better. You are not too fast, throwing too much at once, or burying us with issues. We need users like you to "play with the beta app" and find these things. Please continue to be just as great as you have always been. Please be very critical. We do not need nice words and pats on our backs (although it is good to hear these things). We really need honest and brutal criticism and where we are fail you. Thanks again. :)

The update has not yet peculated through the system to my Rokus. As of 02:48 EDT I show that there are no updates available (Emby beta is up to date) and I am still on 3.0.215. I will check from time to time until my Rokus update.

As far as the focus bug goes I will wait until I have the new beta to try to replicate it. If I do I will start a new thread for that bug so it will not get buried in this one.

As far as bug vs feature I greatly prefer the up arrow to take me to the sort ascending/descending choice instead of exiting. It just makes things quicker as that change is the one I make the most often. But I can live with it the other way. It just seems the jump to the bottom makes things better. You might consider something like the ff or rw button jumping to the bottom and then we could have the best of both usages.

Waiting patiently for the new update, and waiting and waiting and...  ;)  :P  B)

#19 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:25 PM

The update has finally showed up. 

It fixes the letter problems and it restores the up arrow functionality in the sort menu.

It the short testing I did I did not see the focus problem I mentioned but I will keep an eye out and see if I can duplicate it again.

Thanks for getting this fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users