Roku Screen Saver

Baenwort

We "technically" do not have a screen saver in the application. When playing music we do have a "mock" screen saver of sorts that takes over after music plays for 40 seconds and you haven't used the remote. I say "mock" because it isn't moving any of the items. It just "dims" the screen on the audio player. Not really a screen saver at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screensaver

"screensaver (or screen saver) is a computer program that blanks the screen or fills it with moving images or patterns when the computer has been idle for a long time. The original purpose of screensavers was to prevent phosphor burn-in on CRT and plasma computer monitors (hence the name)."

A screen saver must blank or move images to be considered as such.

The standard Roku screen saver does show up in the app. The settings for this can be found in the Roku settings of the home screen. Eventually we will have an Emby screen saver with settings and options to control that experience. At the moment we do not include a pre-built screen saver within the Roku Emby app. I apologize...

We need to start with this question. What would you like to see in a screen saver?

Presently this is what I already have in mind:

a) moving animated backdrops with full zoom/shrink/pan

b) in the same way Roku does this on their normal screen saver. A poster from a random item from your library slowly passes through the screen left to right.

c) press PLAY as that random item passes through the screen will immediately play that item.

d) The logo of the item appears somewhere on screen and dances around the screen spinning, zooming, shrinking and moving around.

e) A 5-line snippet of the overview appears on screen somwhere and is also animated and moves around, bulges, changes colors, etc

f) The title and subtitle of the item is always shown at the top of the screen and has same animated effects as (e)

g) 4 spotlights: green, red, blue and yellow. They do choreographed dance routines around on screen at certain intervals like stage lights do

Most of the above is already incorporated into a full-blown music player addition that I have been working on for a year or so. All of the elements can easily be repurposed into a stellar screen saver. I just need ideas of what "users" want in the experience. I gave away mine in the a through g above. Now I need to hear what others want.

Thanks. We do fully intend to listen to feedback and design accordingly. What is your idea?

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1