"Optional direct play of .ts" - Shieldtv

deepac7

deepac7

Is this still experimental?

As per the instructions on "playback" settings, enabling direct play of .ts/mpegts will cause problems in seeking the video.
However, after enabling this, the .ts/mpegts files are still being "direct streamed" instead of direct play. The audio is always transcoded.

As per the instructions on "playback" settings, enabling direct play of .ts/mpegts will cause problems in seeking the video.

However, after enabling this, the .ts/mpegts files are still being "direct streamed" instead of direct play. The audio is always transcoded.

Hi.  Did you look at stats for nerds to find out why?  Enabling this option will not negate other incompatibilities in the system.

deepac7

Hi.  Did you look at stats for nerds to find out why?  Enabling this option will not negate other incompatibilities in the system.

Just says "Direct Play Error".

My AV receiver is TrueHD capable and I am running both my client and server on TrueHD.

No question of incompatibilities because it's just .m2ts files which are not direct playing. mkv files play just fine.

maegibbons

How about posting a sample and your ffmpeg logs?

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

deepac7

Please note:

.m2ts files were always being "direct streamed" (Even before the update).

I am just pointing to the fact that, even after having an option of "Optional direct play of .ts" in the new update it has not affected the playback much. It just direct "streams" the audio. On stat for nerds, the video is played without transcoding. It has always been the audio.

Please note:

.m2ts files were always being "direct streamed" (Even before the update).

I am just pointing to the fact that, even after having an option of "Optional direct play of .ts" in the new update it has not affected the playback much. It just direct "streams" the audio. On stat for nerds, the video is played without transcoding. It has always been the audio.

m2ts is not the same thing as .ts.  That option should have no impact there.  Direct play of .m2ts is not supported.

deepac7

m2ts is not the same thing as .ts.  That option should have no impact there.  Direct play of .m2ts is not supported.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying. 

The setting on emby client app says  ".ts/mpegts"

Hi.  mpeg-ts = mts (or just ts).  m2ts is a different container created for BluRay discs.

I suppose I should change the description to avoid the confusion.

deepac7

Hi. mpeg-ts = mts (or just ts). m2ts is a different container created for BluRay discs.

I suppose I should change the description to avoid the confusion.

Thank you for educating me.

I'll change the contaner from .m2ts to .ts

Only reason why lot of people keep them in .m2ts instead of mkv is, to save the dolby vision layer although dolby vision + lossless audio in a remux is still in experimental stages.

Edited by deepac7

Personally, I would not convert to ts.  It really isn't a very good streaming container.  I would go to mkv or mp4.

deepac7

Personally, I would not convert to ts.  It really isn't a very good streaming container.  I would go to mkv or mp4.

Noted. Thank you.