Playback stopping when paused for some time - new feature?

naf623

naf623

I've been noticing that in both Chrome and Firefox, when I leave a video paused for a long period and come to unpause, it's like the video has stopped altogether. Sometimes the pause frame is visible, but when I move the mouse around the elements of the UI appear as the cursor touches them; and sometimes I'm just kicked back to the UI altogether already. But when I press space to unpause, it does start playing again.

Is this something new and deliberate, or something at my end?

arrbee99

Shall check a bit later. Looks like I have to download the beta again - bit of a mains power failure.

arrbee99

Just tried in Firefox so far, started a movie, paused for 40min, resumed, paused for 40min again, resumed again. Seemed fine to me. The paused image was there as expected. Played fine.

Am just having a go in Chrome.

Have seen it occasionally do weird things in the past, not yet with .28. In Firefox occasionally when I go back to the dashboard page to look at it after being away a while it would have a movie background on the dashboard. Think I would set the background to dark and go back to it later and its gone back to light. Maybe there's a connection. Maybe that's gone now.

arrbee99

Also seems to be OK for me in Chrome, pausing, playing, pausing, playing all OK.

This is with a Direct Streaming movie.

So far.

• 2 weeks later...
naf623

Sorry, I didn't get any notification of your replies and things got a bit crazy.

I'll have to do more testing (my day job too haha) and see if I can pin it down to a timescale. I'm definitely seeing it after leaving it paused overnight, and sometimes after a few hours; but no, 40 mins is fine indeed.

Is it necessary to leave it paused overnight? I mean yes of course we should handle it, but long pauses do present more challenges than just pausing for a few minutes.

naf623

Not necessary, of course, and what it's doing isn't awful. It's just new behaviour than what it was doing previously so I wondered about it.