What is better Rpi4 or VPS for Emby server?

Przemek
Go to solution Solved by JaScoMa,

Przemek

Hi, I have Emby server now on Debian vps and it works nice. Yesterday I obtain public IP from my ISP and wants to have my own Emby server because vps have small drive capacity. I wants also have something like nextcloud to sync files from my laptops in home and work.

What will be better option:

1. Leave Emby server on vps and mount library from Rpi4 where will be nextcloud, openmediavault or something like this.

2. Install Emby server and nextcloud on Rpi4 (I will have 4TB HDD connected USB 3.0) and stream over internet from home.

I need advice also what is working better with Emby to install on Rpi4: openmediavault, raspbian, Ubuntu server or maybe diet pi?

Regards,

• Solution
JaScoMa

Hello..

I'd say option 2 without the need of nextcloud.

If the system can see the USB 3 HDD and you can access it from the system, Emby should be able to use the folders and mount points for your libraries.

Personally, I use and run DietPI.  It has the smallest footprint of anything I've tried; Raspian, Armbian etc.  Also, during the system configuration, DietPI allows you to install the latest stable version.  So it'll configure the proper Emby user:group and configure the permissions, etc.

When you plug in the USB drive, you'll want to ensure the Emby user and group has at least read/write access to the mount so background images, .NFO files, etc., can be stored with your library.

There are guides available to show you how to configure Emby for access externally; I only use for internal network.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Przemek

@@JaScoMa Thank You very much for that advice. Can You tell me why without nextcloud? I have now my personal data in Nextcloud but only 15 GB on VPS and my work data on Mega but there's also only 15 GB free. Now I want something like this that will work on smartphone, laptop with linux and windows. My 3TB will be great for that files and Emby server I think. It will be possible to install Emby and something like Nextcloud on DietPi?

• 1 year later...
Przemek

Hi, I have already Emby and Nextcloud on mini pc but before it works on Rpi4. I don't see any difference for Emby. But for Nextcloud is very huge step forward.

Regards.

gioluca2

Which was the problem with nextcloud on rpi? Did it work slowly?
Can you help me for installation of emby and nextcloud? Do you follow a guide?

Przemek

Nextcloud works very slow in www. Took very long time to open video or pictures in browser. But if You want only for synchronisation it was OK.

If You want to install just burn Dietpi image to sd-card, connect to Rpi. Connect with ssh or You can directly with monitor or tv (you need hdmi cable and keyboard). Start Rpi and login (check installation guide on Dietpi docks). Then type 'dietpi-software' go to 'software optimized' and check nextcloud and emby. Then click install. That's it. Read Dietpi software docs how to start. Go to Dietpi forum and find how to enable ssl if You want.

regards.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am running a pi server at home with a USB boot instead of MicroSD card and a 64 bit OS and use OMV as the base. The performance is very good. Everything runs using Docker.