Add remote "Wake On Lan/Wan" functionality

jonmagee

jonmagee

Currently, Emby can wake up a computer that is in sleep mode through the "Walk on Lan" feature, but only through the local network.  This doesn't help of course if I'm out of town and want Emby to wake up my computer, or a friend or family shares me Emby account and they need to wake up my computer.  Adding this remote Wake On Lan/Wan functionality would be very beneficial, and cost saving; as users can still allow their computer to go to sleep (thus saving power), but wake it up from wherever they are. 

My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I think it will require special router configuration.

maegibbons

My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I think it will require special router configuration.

You are right, it has to be done by proxy either through the router or another device on the internal net.

This is not something emby should be concerned with.

The OP needs to research remote wake on lan using google. There are solutions available.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

jonmagee

After posting my question here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80007-windows-10-sleep-mode/ it was suggested that I put in a feature request here. 

I do know that I have my router setup correctly, as I'm able to use a basic "wake on LAN" app from my phone (while disconnected from wifi) to ping my external IP address, and it wakes up my PC. 

• 1 year later...
Junglejim

Build yourself a NAS or buy one! I have a OMV NAS that's been running for 4 years now running Emby (in a docker) that never goes to sleep and has been rock solid.

Edit: My NAS is in my garage which can get upto 38c in summer, just make sure you get HDD drives that are built for running 24/7.

Edited by Junglejim

13 hours ago, jonmagee said:

Is the wake on WAN functionality still not something that emby has built in?

Hi, Emby does support wake on lan inside the local network.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am going to invest in a new NAS next year. Now emby is running on 1 server (Nuc extreme) and uses about 6 Windows PC's with in each 2 disks in mirror.

This is using a lot of power (i measure 1.4amp so it's like a second american fridge inhouse).

I read a lot about WOL for waking up the emby server.

My goal is to make emby server wake up the other 6 windows PC's when someone is playing something (LAN/WAN).

I have quite some knowledge about wol, magic packets, bios settings,.. but for some reason I am not able to make emby server waken up 1 if my 6 library windows server when an emby client is accessing emby server.

Any tips?

with regards,

Cis

38 minutes ago, cisfi5h said:

Hi,

I am going to invest in a new NAS next year. Now emby is running on 1 server (Nuc extreme) and uses about 6 Windows PC's with in each 2 disks in mirror.

This is using a lot of power (i measure 1.4amp so it's like a second american fridge inhouse).

I read a lot about WOL for waking up the emby server.

My goal is to make emby server wake up the other 6 windows PC's when someone is playing something (LAN/WAN).

I have quite some knowledge about wol, magic packets, bios settings,.. but for some reason I am not able to make emby server waken up 1 if my 6 library windows server when an emby client is accessing emby server.

Any tips?

with regards,

Cis

Hi, so you want to have the server wake up other machines? there are currently no options to do that.

Wow that's quick, tnx!!

Yes I would like to wake up other windows computers in my LAN when emby accesses an smb share on 1 of those computers.

Strange thing is that on 1 of the 6 windows pc's (with part of the emby library) it does work. I browse the library on a client (app or web/wan or lan) play the content - it does take a little bit longer than the 5 other PC who are always on - but it plays fine after some more seconds. Icon''s are also missing and grey before the content starts but that's no problem

Checked all bios, netwerk adapter settings, power settings,...

I also closed all Firewall rules on the PC that's working except the bare minimum ports (SMB,...) and it stil works but not on the other 5 PC's.

I'll take a deep test look in to it later and let you know the result.

tnx for the support!

Eigeplackter

Personally I'm using this tool : https://www.wolskill.com

Totally worth the 13€.

Most people are amazed when I tell Alexa to wake up the HTPC.

And with the Alexa App I can even do this remotely. when the wife wants to watch with friends.