Can the Emby web app support WASAPI or ASIO for audio streaming?

virtualtinker
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

virtualtinker

is there any way for the Emby web app to be able to stream using either WASAPI or ASIO in conjunction with Exclusive mode being enabled on the browser? A quick search showed that I only see WASAPI mentioned with regard to Emby Theater, but I figured it was at least worth asking in case I overlooked something. My particular use case is at work where I stream my music from the Emby web server. I've been dabbling with higher quality audio and have picked up some real headphones, an amp and a DAC will be coming once I settle on one. I've also tried EQ'ing my headphones with some success. I've been researching what other things I could do to potentially improve the quality of my source material which brought me to the other audio drivers over using the default Windows mixer.

Thank you!

• Solution

Hi, no, web apps can't do this. Some browsers do have an audio output api, but they won't provide low level outputs such as wasapi. If you take a look at this page here:

https://webrtc.github.io/samples/src/content/devices/multi/

Those are the options we could support in the emby web app if we wanted to.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
virtualtinker

I got caught up with Covid-19 consuming my life and never got to replying to this, sorry!

@@Luke, I appreciate the quick response you gave me a month and a half ago. I finally have my headphone audio chain complete and ended up installing Emby Theater on my PC and have been using that and WASAPI over the web client which seems to work great for my needs. I'm honestly not sure why I don't hear more people using Emby on some of the audio forums I have been looking at while I was trying to figure out what amp and dac to buy. Most people seem to be using Foobar, or fork over the crazy money for Roon subscriptions which makes no sense to me.

Anyway, thanks again!