Rich text on metadata

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos

It would be very useful to link text metadata from the "Overview" section to other Emby media as well as HTML links to external content.

• Like 5

The problem for the store apps is that we'd have to ensure there are no links to places that might violate app store policies.

• 2 months later...
CyberPoison

Looks like than plex allready have done it and it's works well with JSON files for metada, when i use json from youtube-dl it's comes with all paragraphs, Symbols, and clickable links 

There is some preview just to watch the diference between plex displaying json and emby 

5ec552a735200_WhatsAppImage20200520at172

5ec55289b1132_WhatsAppImage20200520at172

So there we can see than Plex have grabbed (Paragraph, Symbols, and Clickable links ) and also, the YouTube Channel as an actor (But i'm not sure if this is possible on emby but will be great)

5ec5530b78d10_WhatsAppImage20200520at173

And i also want to inform than the filter (Year filter) display the Years in wrong format like that YYYYMMDD or YYYYDDMM not sure with wish position it it's displaying but it will be nice to fix it and put it to display only the YYYY and not the full date in raw when it's not necessary.

5ec55455e5ee5_WhatsAppImage20200520at180

All issues i described above are also present in the web ui (locahost:8096) 
and in Android TV and iOS not sure about WebOS (LG) and other platform.

Thanks to improve if possible since it's just a minor update,
Kind regards

Edited by CyberPoison
  • Like 1

IMO the potential for people to do bad things with this is just huge...

CyberPoison

IMO the potential for people to do bad things with this is just huge...

Why ? 

and how ?

Pretty sure than plex have protected their app against "bad things", in my case is just to allow friends and family (My own users) to buy the sponsored products in the description like you can see above in plex (Amazon links etc..) nothing "bad" but still interesting, to appears correctly and not like a "raw" text,   

Edited by CyberPoison

Hi.  Any of those links could be to anything, including malicious content.  If we provide a way for the system to present user-content like this in a clickable/executable way, I can think of a number of ways that could be exploited and/or interpreted as such by people like Google and Apple.

I'm not saying we definitely won't do this.  I'm just saying we need to be very careful about it.

CyberPoison

Hi.  Any of those links could be to anything, including malicious content.  If we provide a way for the system to present user-content like this in a clickable/executable way, I can think of a number of ways that could be exploited and/or interpreted as such by people like Google and Apple.

I'm not saying we definitely won't do this.  I'm just saying we need to be very careful about it.

Well at first let's start for rich text on metada, since it doesn't have any Paragraph and/or Symbols when it use JSON files from youtube (Links still for lates it's doesn't matter ) 

CyberPoison

We do support some basic html.

Not sure what you means, but the metadata i get is from youtube-dl it's a json file but the issue here is than it doesn't show paragraphs and symbols and etc...

it's like you said a baisc html not like a rich text or something similar, i'm don't have any knowledge about this "area" so it's not my scope but to get metadata organized well like on youtube it's a very interesting thing (And i'm not a expert but i think it's not hard to implement it) but still cool to get something readable instead of a basic html who puts the text like it as a raw. 

Is just my opinion i'm not a developer (and we i need to do some good i try everything to go around this way ) 

• 3 years later...
iPhoneMaxPro
On 5/20/2020 at 6:03 PM, CyberPoison said:

Looks like than plex allready have done it and it's works well with JSON files for metada, when i use json from youtube-dl it's comes with all paragraphs, Symbols, and clickable links 

There is some preview just to watch the diference between plex displaying json and emby 

5ec552a735200_WhatsAppImage20200520at172

5ec55289b1132_WhatsAppImage20200520at172

So there we can see than Plex have grabbed (Paragraph, Symbols, and Clickable links ) and also, the YouTube Channel as an actor (But i'm not sure if this is possible on emby but will be great)

5ec5530b78d10_WhatsAppImage20200520at173

And i also want to inform than the filter (Year filter) display the Years in wrong format like that YYYYMMDD or YYYYDDMM not sure with wish position it it's displaying but it will be nice to fix it and put it to display only the YYYY and not the full date in raw when it's not necessary.

5ec55455e5ee5_WhatsAppImage20200520at180

All issues i described above are also present in the web ui (locahost:8096) 
and in Android TV and iOS not sure about WebOS (LG) and other platform.

Thanks to improve if possible since it's just a minor update,
Kind regards

I also noticed the same thing on plex the description is much more visually beautiful, on emby I can't add any links, and the spaces I have to put them manually with <br> 😔