Emby fanart not (always) working with Kodi

heula

heula

Lately I have noticed that my fanart is not cycling with all my tv shows.

Some TV shows are going wel but others just show one fanart.

All my TV shows have multiple fanart/backdrops downloaded by Emby.

I ran manual "cache all artwork" and after that things were better but still not good.

I posted a topic on the Kodi forum and there they said there are known issues with Emby fanart in Kodi.

Is this a known issue?

kodi.log

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63719603240.txt

Thanks.

heula

Could be but I don't think so.

I just did a Kodi database reset and all tv shows are showing just one fanart or background.

I will see what happens without doing anything like cache the artwork manually.

kodi.log

kodi.old.log

heula

And everything looks normal in the web app?

Yes, the cycling of fanart works with web app.

You said only some TV shows. Do you know what the difference is vs the ones that do rotate?

heula

After a Kodi database reset all tv show fanart is not cycling.

When I do a manual Cache all artwork from within Emby in Kodi a lot of tv shows have cycling fanart but still not all of them.

jachin99

I have one fanart backdrop per file so I can't really test things. I never really looked at adding more to be honest and I prefer the video backdrops. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• 2 weeks later...
feerlessleadr

To be honest, I didn't even know that kodi supported multiple fanart images with E4K, since kodi has never cycled through any fanart images on any of my TV shows - it just shows the first fanart image.

I just double checked with the webapp, and even though the fanart cycles on there, none of my shows cycle fanart on kodi. I have not used cache all artwork, since it takes a while as I have a lot of media on my server.

Happy to provide additional logs if necessary. 

Edited by feerlessleadr

horstepipe

Just did a manual "cache all artwork" in Kodi and the server crashed first and than Kodi crashed.

attachicon.gifembyserver-63721012600.txt

attachicon.gifkodi.log

I’d advise you to open a separate thread about it. I’m having issues with that too. Try lowering the parallel sync items value and / or the parallel threads. The problem about this is that some users think higher values are always better and can easily crash the whole server with that.

heula

I’d advise you to open a separate thread about it. I’m having issues with that too. Try lowering the parallel sync items value and / or the parallel threads. The problem about this is that some users think higher values are always better and can easily crash the whole server with that.

Not sure what you mean here, all my emby for kodi settings are pretty default.

What and where should I change these things?

• 3 weeks later...
heula

I have tested it without the Emby plugin activated in Kodi and using Kodi nodes for the library.

Randomized fanart is working fine than. 

So it must be an Emby issue like was told by a Kodi moderator.

Anything you need from me?

• 2 weeks later...
heula

So does Emby for Kodi only sync one backdrop image?

Sometimes it shows a second one but than it stops. So one or two but not more. I have set it to max 10.

• 1 month later...
heula

The reason the fanart is no longer working in Kodi is because of the extrafanart and extrathumbs folders that are created and used by Emby. Those sub folders are no longer supported by Kodi and are being ignored.

Within Kodi all the fanart should be in the main directory as fanart, fanart1, fanart2 etc.

thumb1, thumb2 etc are also not used.

Is there a way to download the fanart with Emby outside those two sub folders?

And can all extrafanart be named as fanart instead of thumb?

If not, can it made optional to do that?

Thanks

Edited by heula

pünktchen

The reason the fanart is no longer working in Kodi is because of the extrafanart and extrathumbs folders that are created and used by Emby. Those sub folders are no longer supported by Kodi and are being ignored.

Within Kodi all the fanart should be in the main directory as fanart, fanart1, fanart2 etc.

thumb1, thumb2 etc are also not used.

Is there a way to download the fanart with Emby outside those two sub folders?

And can all extrafanart be named as fanart instead of thumb?

If not, can it made optional to do that?

Thanks

This is true if you set your libraries directly as a source in Kodi, but it doesn't matter when using the Emby addon. So to be future proof, yes the naming of artwork in Emby should be changed, but this is not the current problem.

Also do not mix extrafanart with extrathumbs. Extrafanart is for backdrops and extrathumbs is for posters.

heula

The thumbs in the extrathumbs folder are landscape images and not poster images.

heula

We can save using the newer convention, yes.

There is already a setting that the fanart will not be downloaded to extrafanart folders?

If yes, where do I set that?

Thanks.