Nvidia Shield and Emby Crashing

roxerroneous

roxerroneous

Hey everyone, has anyone else had trouble with the emby app crashing while playing 4K content on the non-pro 2019 Shield?  I've only recently gotten a 4K TV, so the problem is new (otherwise the shield has been working great with 1080p content).  My normal setup is:

Emby server running an i5-5250U processor with 16GB of RAM (Windows 8.1), connected with a CAT5E cable directly to my TP-Link AC4000 Router.  

NVidia Shield connected directly to the router with a CAT5E and to my AVR (Sony STR-DH790) with an HDMI 2.1 cable. 

AVR connected to my TV (Sony X900F) with an HDMI 2.1 cable.  

I thought my receiver may be the culprit so I've also tried connecting the TV directly with the Shield and it still crashes playing 4K content.  It's not an immediate crash, it will play about 10-15 minutes (for multiple movies) and then start to stutter and eventually crash back to the home screen.  If I happen to navigate (press the back or home button on the remote) while the movie is playing (during the 10 minutes window) the reaction is very slow, sometimes taking up to 15 seconds to respond and sometimes it causes Emby to crash as well.  

I'm at a loss of what could be wrong.  The only idea that's come to mind is that maybe I'd be better off with the Shield Pro as it has more memory and (as I just found out) supports 64 bit apps.  I don't use it for gaming which is why I bought the tube version and apparently there is no stock of the pro version to try.  

Has anyone else run into this problem or have any suggestions?  I really like the Shield as it limits my transcoding but I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't play 4K content reliably.  

Thanks.

Edit: I've browsed this forum enough to know I should have included a server log with my question.  I don't have one handy but will grab one later today!

Edited by roxerroneous

roxerroneous

Hi.  There was a similar report recently and it was traced to an out of memory error on the device.  Can you send a log from the app right after one of these crashes?

Thanks for the quick reply ebr.  I'll post the log as soon as I get home this afternoon.  Would you like me to include the server log as well?

roxerroneous

Ok ebr, this may be a stupid question, but when would you like me to generate the log file?  I looked through the instructions and it says there will be a button to send the log electronically on the home screen.  Do you want me to wait for the app to crash, re-open it and then send the log or should I try to back out to the homescreen after the stuttering starts and send it prior to it crashing? 

After it crashes, re-enter the app and immediately send the log.  The option is in the user menu on this app now.

roxerroneous

ebr, just sent the logs at 4:45pm EST. Watching Avengers Endgame in 4K and it crashed several minutes in. User name is Brad. Thanks!

ebr, just sent the logs at 4:45pm EST. Watching Avengers Endgame in 4K and it crashed several minutes in. User name is Brad. Thanks!

Thanks.  Unfortunately, there is absolutely no error reported.  Something must be happening at a very low level that we cannot see.

What is the bitrate of this item?

roxerroneous

Is that what you'd expect for the memory issue you suggested?  I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I did have the Dolby Vision option selected through the Shield interface (I tried to see if it made a difference when I was troubleshooting and forgot to change it back) when it crashed for the logs I sent.  Attached is a screenshot of all the info Emby pulls for that movie.

5e6a384e931c8_EndgameInfo.png

No, I would have expected to see some indication of running out of memory.

50Mb in HEVC is like 100Mb of h264 so maybe it is just too much for the device to handle...

FrostByte

If you can maybe try exchanging the tube for the Pro.  It has 1gb more memory and is 64-bit vs 32-bit of the tube.  I've not had any troubles direct playing movies with those specs.

roxerroneous

No, I would have expected to see some indication of running out of memory.

50Mb in HEVC is like 100Mb of h264 so maybe it is just too much for the device to handle...

I think you may be right ebr.  I was taking a look at some of the other movies I've tried and they all have similar bitrates (46MB to 52MB) .  It may be in my head as I haven't tested it yet, but it did seem that the higher bitrate files would cause the crash sooner than the lower. 

If you can maybe try exchanging the tube for the Pro.  It has 1gb more memory and is 64-bit vs 32-bit of the tube.  I've not had any troubles direct playing movies with those specs.

I may try that.  Unfortunately the tube is beyond the return window as I bought it before the 4K TV - but I'm going to try the Pro and see if it helps.

Thanks to you both for the help!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
roxerroneous

Just to follow up - I did get my hands on a Shield TV Pro and my playback issues seem to have disappeared. So it’s either the 64 bit app or the extra memory that makes the difference. Thanks again for the help!

• Like 1