Support for www.theposterdb.com ?

JasonNalley

JasonNalley

Sorry, I'm generally a noob with emby, I've used it off and on for the last couple of years, but just decided to make the complete switch from Plex, so forgive me if I'm using the wrong terminology.  Just wondering if anyone is working on a project to get images from theposterdb.  They have a lot of Collection artwork that can't be found anywhere else, and lots of themed artwork within those collections.  Would be nice to have an agent that handles the downloading of those.  For some reason, I don't seem to get all of the poster artwork from Emby that Plex seems to get, for instance, my Garden of Sinners posters all looked similar in Plex, but there's 2 of them that aren't getting the poster images that Plex seemed to be able to find.  So having a single source repository for Poster art would be awesome.  I am also having the same issue with my Hana to Hebi Live Action movies, both the ones from the late 70's and early 80's as well as the ones from the Early 2000's.  The posters just aren't showing up despite them being matched appropriately.

Edited by JasonNalley
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

Sorry, I'm generally a noob with emby, I've used it off and on for the last couple of years, but just decided to make the complete switch from Plex, so forgive me if I'm using the wrong terminology.  Just wondering if anyone is working on a project to get images from theposterdb.  They have a lot of Collection artwork that can't be found anywhere else, and lots of themed artwork within those collections.  Would be nice to have an agent that handles the downloading of those.  For some reason, I don't seem to get all of the poster artwork from Emby that Plex seems to get, for instance, my Garden of Sinners posters all looked similar in Plex, but there's 2 of them that aren't getting the poster images that Plex seemed to be able to find.  So having a single source repository for Poster art would be awesome.  I am also having the same issue with my Hana to Hebi Live Action movies, both the ones from the late 70's and early 80's as well as the ones from the Early 2000's.  The posters just aren't showing up despite them being matched appropriately.

There is currently no plugin for TPDb.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76078-tpdb-has-launched/

JasonNalley

Are they popular now?

I dunno, I mean, I'd like to think so, lol...  It's a really really nice site with lots and lots of custom content creators uploading their own posters.  

JasonNalley

Looks like they are still working on a api.  Don't really know what Agent(s) would refer to, assuming scraper.

https://theposterdb.com/road-map#april

Plex's way to get Metadata are called "Metadata Agents"  some of them work off of API and some of them work off of scraping (the third party ones work off scraping I think).  Not sure what you guys call them around here

Happy2Play

Emby only uses API's, no official plugin will be cataloged in Emby that scrapes data.  But users are able to build their own plugins, they just won't be distributed by Emby.

JasonNalley

Yeah, I knew you guys didn't allow scraping, cause it's legality is questionable...  I did not realize posterdb didn't have an API yet.  Here's to hoping they get one soon!

We've loosened that up a little lately to be based on following the terms of service of the site. So if they allow it, then it's OK, but yes an API would be much easier to work with.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
N3rdP1um23
On 4/21/2020 at 2:44 PM, Luke said:

It doesn't look like they have an API yet. We need that first.

Unfortunately we don't just yet, though it's still on our list! Once more information is available, we'll be posting it and advertising it through our official channels :)

On 1/21/2021 at 11:32 AM, zendal said:

The website states they are using the tmdb api.

Correct! We're using the TMDb API in order to have posters match directly with a movie/show/person/collection/company/etc.. while not turning into yet another metadata provider :) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, N3rdP1um23 said:

Unfortunately we don't just yet, though it's still on our list! Once more information is available, we'll be posting it and advertising it through our official channels :)

Correct! We're using the TMDb API in order to have posters match directly with a movie/show/person/collection/company/etc.. while not turning into yet another metadata provider :)

Great, thanks for the update. We'll stay tuned to that.

all4dom

I just looked at the site. They so have some nice collection & poster art. Very different then what probably man people have. They do nice work.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
videopalace

I also have an account on the TPDB and I also upload posters on it. I have to say that there are some really special ones on this site when it comes to posters.

fillidill

I always go to that site first when trying to find the best posters. Having this inside emby would would be fantastic. 

Edited by fillidill

all4dom

How are the posters used? Is it for the background? Some of the posters look really nice, just not sure.how I would place them.

chef

I found out about these guys the other day, the site says they are based off of the Tmdb API, but they didn't seem to have an API of there own yet. Seem like they have a fairly large collection like fanart does. Some of the posters are unique to the site. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
MSOBadger

+1 for a request to be able to pull posters from theposterdb.com.   This site is always my go-to for poster artwork.   I've stopped using Emby's built-in poster search entirely at this point, as theposterdb has far superior poster selection than Tmdb.  It's more manual work, but I'm able to get posters that all follow a consistent theme (e.g. all title logos centered at the bottom of the poster, etc) much more easily via theposterdb given their sheer volume of posters and large number of consistent artwork contributors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 11 months later...