Video stops after couple of minutes

lkem
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

Hi, i have some problems direct streaming a HEVC 4K video on LG webos app, same thing happens on iOS.

After exactly 7:32 minute mark on a video file (the name is in logs) the video hangs and doesn't play anymore. I tried direct streaming and transcoded streaming. I had this issue in 2 different films now.

Same videos play fine on Infuse app directly.

emby.txt

ffmpeg.txt

Hi there, can you try lowering the in-app quality setting to a lower value and see if this still happens? Thanks.

• Like 1

I tried every available quality setting, forgot to add that. From 4K 120mpbs to lowest 720p one. Also i tried: disabling hardware transcoding, disabling user permissions to transcode, redownloading and reimporting video file, tried emby and screenplay app on tv and some other things i can't remember now.

I think it hangs on chapter change, i mean when chapter 1 ends and chapter 2 begins, but im not sure

Edited by lkem

SamES

Can you try playing the AC3 audio track with the quality back on auto?  This should enable direct play.  Be aware that the TV can't process TrueHD, so you're not losing anything, it will be converting to ac3 anyway on the server, but trying to stream or transcode the high bitrate HEVC stream will be your problem.

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

rbjtech

Copy the source video file to a USB stick and then use the built in LG player to play the file.  if that works, then the issue lies with Emby.   45 Mbit HEVC should be no issues at all - I've direct played ~90 Mbit with test files with zero issues over the LAN connection on a C8 via Emby, so I know the internal player (which is what Emby uses) is capable of this.

• Like 1

• Solution
SamES

Copy the source video file to a USB stick and then use the built in LG player to play the file.  if that works, then the issue lies with Emby.   45 Mbit HEVC should be no issues at all - I've direct played ~90 Mbit with test files with zero issues over the LAN connection on a C8 via Emby, so I know the internal player (which is what Emby uses) is capable of this.

Correct, but be aware that the primary audio track in Ikem's sample is TrueHD.  The TV will natively switch to the AC3 track if you play via USB.  This won't occur in the Emby app, unless you turn off all transcoding/conversion which I don't recommend.

Just select the AC3 track in Emby before playback and it should DirectPlay just fine

• Like 1

Can you try playing the AC3 audio track with the quality back on auto?  This should enable direct play.  Be aware that the TV can't process TrueHD, so you're not losing anything, it will be converting to ac3 anyway on the server, but trying to stream or transcode the high bitrate HEVC stream will be your problem.

Tried that, i selected the other audio file from 2 that was available and it didn't help

Tried that also, it's playing just fine from USB drive connected to the TV, video and audio

No @@SamES, it was also happening with 2 different ones, but i don't remember the minute marks when it happened. They were also 4K HEVC, i suspect it would happen with all files with this format but still don't know why. Yesterday i tested PC web player and emby theater app and iOS emby app and it still happened even when transcoding.

Edited by lkem

SamES

Tried that, i selected the other audio file from 2 that was available and it didn't help

Can you attach the ffmpeg log for the second track?

• Like 1

SamES

Have you got a bitrate limit set for this user (or in the LG Client)?

2020-03-09 10:34:03.165 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 44299654, max bitrate: 20000000

2020-03-09 10:34:03.165 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 44299654, max bitrate: 20000000
2020-03-09 10:34:03.165 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 44299654, max bitrate: 20000000
2020-03-09 10:34:03.165 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 44299654, max bitrate: 20000000
Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

Hey guys, so i reinstalled everything, did every setting again and now after changing to the other audio option, it works. So i guess i had something set up wrong and that was the problem.

So if i would like to watch content with original TrueHD audio in the future i need to buy AppleTV or some other box, right?

SamES

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you managed to resolve it.

Nvidia shield is the only device that I've heard of that can play TrueHD audio out from Emby to a receiver, however I would confirm with others before spending $$ as I'm not certain as to the result.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Correct, but be aware that the primary audio track in Ikem's sample is TrueHD.  The TV will natively switch to the AC3 track if you play via USB.  This won't occur in the Emby app, unless you turn off all transcoding/conversion which I don't recommend.

Just select the AC3 track in Emby before playback and it should DirectPlay just fine

Just on this note @@SamES, I have noticed that if I select the 2nd AC3 or DTS track (the multichannel track on all my files as I always enscode a Stereo AAC as the default track ..) BEFORE I hit play on my main LG / Receiver Setup, it almost always never plays, the video or sound, I just get a blank screen.  If I leave it on the default track, let it play (the AAC), then immediately select the AC3/DTS to play via the on screen selector then it all works fine.

I'll do some more investigation, but perhaps the LG Player does not like starting with the non-default track .. ?

Edited by Luke

SamES

Just on this note @@SamES, I have noticed that if I select the 2nd AC3 or DTS track (the multichannel track on all my files as I always enscode a Stereo AAC as the default track ..) BEFORE I hit play on my main LG / Receiver Setup, it almost always never plays, the video or sound, I just get a blank screen.  If I leave it on the default track, let it play (the AAC), then immediately select the AC3/DTS to play via the on screen selector then it all works fine.

I'll do some more investigation, but perhaps the LG Player does not like starting with the non-default track .. ?

I've checked a few files and I'm not seeing this.  Tested with TrueHD primary/AC3 secondary and files with commentary as the second track.  They all start fine after selecting the second audio track from the details page then starting playback.

What model/webOS version is your TV?  This could be year/model specific.  Have you tried files with multiple audio tracks that you haven't altered?  I'm just wondering if your re-encoding is causing an issue?  Are these mkv or mp4 files? Are you re-encoding, or just doing a track swap with a header editor?

• Like 1

rbjtech

@SamES, Thanks for the thoughts and you are spot on - it's something to do with the combination of the re-mux that I am doing and the LG player - as all the files work just fine on FireTV and Samsung Tizen player.

I've just remuxed the same tracks using MKVToolNix and now I can play the secondary track without issues on the LG, confirming it's a mux issue.

Below is the ffmpeg re-mux I'm doing as part of post processing to get the AAC track created and added in as the default track on all my media :-

"ffmpeg.exe" -report -i "input.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a  -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:a:0 aac -ac 2 -filter:a:0 "volume=1.7" -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 -metadata:s:a:0 title="Stereo" -metadata:s:a:0 language=eng -metadata:s:a:1 title="Multichannel" -metadata:s:a:1 language=eng -metadata:s:v:0 title="" "output.mkv"

I'll have a play around - maybe the LG player doesn't like the metadata being stripped/blank.

Thanks.