HBA Controllers card

SHSPVR

SHSPVR

Now that I gotten all the main components for my new build next is ask you about HBA card.

Yes I do realize I need a IT Mode flash card just wondering any tip on setup the drive configuration or plug-pray LoL, I recall doing SCSI what a pain thank god those are over.

On hunt on ebay I have notice there many different model LSI HBA compatible card like 9200, 9205, 9207, 9208, 9210, 9211, 9240, 9260 all 8i including Dell, HP and so on so which is ideal card to get ?.

LSI 3rd gen any advantages ?.

mediacowboy

I've used two lsi 9211-8i flashed in IT mode. It's plug and play. The only thing I would recommend, read lerned by trail, make sure you get the same length SAS to sata fan out cords.

Edited by mediacowboy

mastrmind11

just grab the cheapest option and flash it to IT mode, which makes it essentially a passthrough.  you might even be able to find some already flashed.

• Like 1

SHSPVR

I've used two lsi 9211-8i flashed in IT mode. It's plug and play. The only thing I would recommend, read lerned by trail, make sure you get the same length SAS to sata fan out cords.

Thanks @@mediacowboy any real reason for (same length SAS to Sata) as far I'm where of supporting minimum cable length need is 12 inches up to 40 inches and you need including the PCB traces length from the cable connection to the host and drive controllers ASIC and rule you should keep them around 16" to more then 36" total over length my old server has 3 diff sata cable length and it 7+ years old and never had problem with it and yes I know about using shorter cables that can cause timing or noise interference on the cable because same conditions can apply to cables that are too long that happen in old IDE and SCSI tech to but it should noted there not even the same length they very per length connector.

I be get set 20" cable.

Edited by SHSPVR

mediacowboy

Thanks @@mediacowboy any real reason for (same length SAS to Sata) as far I'm where of supporting minimum cable length need is 12 inches up to 40 inches and you need including the PCB traces length from the cable connection to the host and drive controllers ASIC and rule you should keep them around 16" to more then 36" total over

length my old server has 3 diff sata cable length and it 7+ years old and never had problem with it and yes I know about using shorter cables that can cause timing or noise interference on the cable because same conditions can apply to cables that are too long that happen in old IDE and SCSI tech to but it should noted there not even the same

length they very per

length connector.

I be get set 20" cable.

When I bought my cables I was trying to do cable management so I bought a .5 and a 1 (I want to say meter) length. When I tried to boot it only saw half the drives. When I bought another 1 meter it worked and saw all my drives. This was the first time I have messed with SAS to sata fan out cables. So I was/am learning. Edited by mediacowboy

SHSPVR

When I bought my cables I was trying to do cable management so I bought a .5 and a 1 (I want to say meter) length. When I tried to boot it only saw half the drives. When I bought another 1 meter it worked and saw all my drives. This was the first time I have messed with SAS to sata fan out cables. So I was/am learning.

That could be because you dbl the over length so then yes that maybe a diff story unlike when if was it only 2" or 4"

mediacowboy

That could be because you dbl the over length so then yes that maybe a diff story unlike when if was it only 2" or 4"

Right. It was a learning experience.
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

Are you sure you had the correct cables? Whether they were forward or reverse breakout cables?

SHSPVR

Are you sure you had the correct cables? Whether they were forward or reverse breakout cables?

which one are need ?

SHSPVR

From HBA to drive = forward

Thanks

Just wonder what are reverse used for ?.

• 4 weeks later...
theideaofit

I also have recently been looking at getting an HBA card. The two port ones are cheap. The 4 port cards are expensive though. I know they make expanders but it seems messy.  I prefer the clean tidiness of one 4 port 16i or two, 2 port 8is. I’m hung up on what is the least power draw, what will make the least heat etc. The 4 port 16e cards are reasonable but the ports are external. Anyone seen a build where the external cables are make a u-turn back into he tower that doesn’t look all jacked up. 

Also currently I am using two 4 port each sata cards from io crest. They will still write to disk at nearly 150 mb/s which seems zippy for a spinning drive. Will I gain much in other words. The little sata cards have to consume less I’d think two.  what am I missing?