Remove duplicate tracks from playlist

jdewoody71

jdewoody71

Hello. I have a playlist per genre and each one can have from 100 to 1000 songs in each one and for some reason, Emby doesn't seem to have code to check before or prevent adding the same track twice. I would like to request a feature to remove duplicate tracks from playlists. Thanks!

J

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
dance4ever

+1 here.  I ran into some quirk where the same item got added 5 times while only adding it once.

What is our workaround to delete items for the time being? 

I manually edited

$EMBY_ROOT/data/playlists/$PLAYLIST_NAME/playlist.xml

and removed the 4 entries and even after rebooting the server, the duplicate entries are still there (see screenshots)

are playlists stored in a database?

what do I need to do to get my playlist in sync with its XML?

Emby - duplicate entries in playlist.png

Emby - playlist XML snapshot post-duplicate removal.png

dance4ever

ah - I didn’t realize that was a separate task.

I’ve since rebooted the machine and ran a library scan because I added new libraries.

Is editing the XML directly the correct workaround for now?

• 8 months later...
pbernard

I would also like a feature to prevent adding a duplicate to a Playlist or removing duplicates from Playlist. I have my regular music mixed with Film scores so I put all my music on shuffle and add my regular music to a favorites playlist as I go.

ginjaninja

itunes has the option to show a warning at the point a duplicate is added, for some people most of the time its probably not likely that you would want to add a duplicate in the first place.

if playlists could be sorted momentarily by column, it would be more trivial to identify and remove duplicates by the user. eg sort by artist / sort by title.

Spaceboy

What is a duplicate? Same track? Same track but different album? Same track same album different run time?

ginjaninja

same piece of media mp3/flac (more even mkv, mp4 etc i suppose) i pressumed.

Jägs

I am in favor of this, so long as it is optional.  I have situations where I do want duplicates in playlists, though mine is probably a very edge case:  I like to make playlists based on industry charts or rankings, and while my collection is extensive, it is not comprehensive, so I do not usually have every tune.  That said, I have a place holder—an audio file with three seconds of silence called "(missing)"—that I add so I can preserve the rank order.

Spaceboy
20 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

same piece of media mp3/flac (more even mkv, mp4 etc i suppose) i pressumed.

i ask for the reason below your post, there are times when you might want different versions of the same song in a playlist.

Yes and without constant flipping back and forth on the playlist.. you can add the song twice in larger playlists.. In it's current add state and function.. if you are adding items from certain screens .. full albums are added as well.. with artists full discographies.. you wind up with duplicates in the playlist... automated removal of duplicates.. ( by selecting it ) can work in these instances.. in others you may want to choose the song from a particular release....

WINAMP does this nicely in its playlist.. as well as performs some other tasks quite well.. it's very comprehensive about some of this... even sorting... for review... Would be nice to see some of this functionality.. especially since I am used to using the program for at least the past 20 years..