UI design - post episode watching

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

feedback based on roku experience but suggestion is not client specific

after an episode is finished

should the 'post episode played' form design give a bit more focus to playing the next episode, given that of the likely next actions the user will want to do its probably at the top

play next episode

go to home

go to series

mark favourite

view cast

currently play next episode is cumbersome to get to..

click down

click across

click enter

click play

if landing on the following episode post playback is a step too far...maybe a conditional 'play next' button - if it exists and you have just finished the previous

other media players default to showing the next episode by default front and centre with a graphic for the last played episode offset in background to acknowledge how you got here.

just fyi the current post episode playback screen refreshes the screen and sets played = true but it does not reset a mid playback bookmark on that epusode if it was present..which is visually jarring.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MBSki

other media players default to showing the next episode by default front and centre with a graphic for the last played episode offset in background to acknowledge how you got here.

Totally agree. Something like the attached screenshot so we can immediately start the next episode. There is a "show up next preview" option on Android TV, but it doesn't really do much except provide a little text.

post-290994-0-06930100-1583584454_thumb.jpg

Why not turn on the option to play the next one automatically?

Or, use the Series screen instead of episode screen and it will always have play next up as the default button when returning.

If you don't have the option to play the next automatically turned on then I don't think we can assume that's what you want to do if you launched from an individual episode screen.

MBSki

Because I rarely want to play the next episode and I definitely don't want to play it automatically. 

Or, use the Series screen instead of episode screen and it will always have play next up as the default button when returning.

I don't use the Series screen because when i'm done with an episode I usually want to delete the episode I watched. If I play from the series it drops back to the season or series and if I delete, it deletes the whole season/series rather than just an episode. For me, I'd rather get a pop-up window like on TiVo that asks me if I want to delete the episode that i just watched. Not sure that would be popular for very many other users though.

If you don't have the option to play the next automatically turned on then I don't think we can assume that's what you want to do if you launched from an individual episode screen.

I'm not sure it's really assuming you know what the user wants to do. It's just giving users a logical next option. Frankly, dropping back to "play next up" would work even better than the screen I posted from Plex, but at the moment I have the issue that if I use "play next up", I can't quickly get to a screen where I can delete a single episode. 

Because I rarely want to play the next episode and I definitely don't want to play it automatically. 

If you rarely want to do this, then why do you always want it to be the default next action?

I guess that is my point.  If your likely next action is to play the next episode, you turn on that option and, if you don't want to continue there is a popup that makes it very easy for you to stop. 

ginjaninja

For me this setting doesnt work well, i often want to play the next episode but not always. plus until there is a recently watched ribbon i will continuously be spending too much time looking for ways to get content unwatched (watched after i fell asleep)

Dont think this option gets to the nub of this request.

Yes maybe need to spend more time investigating this, but the reality is that 9/10 you start playback via next up which is i believe the 'episode detail screen'.

maybe cant assume, but its my feedback that i often want to play next episode and i am often on the episode detail screen by virtue of it being used by next up. maybe series screen should be the default screen from next up? or more likely if enough votes this request goes into the general mix of design considerations.

maybe the default screen post episode playback should be the series screen as an alternative suggestion.

it seems a bit sledge hammery for me to not press play on episode screen but go to series screen, just so the next episode is more accessible after the completion of previous. not least because i havent decided i want to watch the next epiosde before i play the previous..

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 1

MBSki

If you rarely want to do this, then why do you always want it to be the default next action?

I guess that is my point.  If your likely next action is to play the next episode, you turn on that option and, if you don't want to continue there is a popup that makes it very easy for you to stop. 

Yea, that's why my preference is to use Play Next Up, but I can't because there's an issue with not being able to quickly delete the episode I just watched. 

And to explain why I want the pop up rather than the automatically play next episode...it's really for my kids. When they're watching TV, I don't want it to automatically play because I'm not always there to back out of it. I'd rather it pop up and require action rather than automatically play. 

Bottom line, for me at least, I'd use Play Next Up if there was a way to easily delete the episode I just watched. 

ginjaninja

if you press play on the next up object on home screen (rather than enter on the object) then the end result is all good (episode increments by 1) except the cursor does not default to object 1 post playback...if it did then this might be a solution to the request.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1