Convert takes way too long

dcruff

dcruff

I have over 3000 movies ripped on a server in the native vob.  If I use the embedded "Convert" function to save them to mks, it would take years (unless I am missing something.

I think that I should use Makemkv to convert them.  Any suggestions on settings and batch-mode options?

Hi there, have you explored the conversion options on the server? How are they set?

rbjtech

If the purpose is to just convert them 'as is' but into a MKV container - then yes something like makemkv is perfect for this and because you are not re-encoding anything, it is very fast.

If the idea is to convert them (I assume from DVD/MPEG2 being VOB) to a more efficient codec such as h264/h265 for storage and playback (non-transcoding) reasons - then yes it will take a long time to do them all but being standard definition, conversion per DVD should not take that long.   There are plenty of free 'batch' tools out there that do this - I'm personally a fan of RipBot264 as it allows distributed encoding (ie you can enroll multiple PC's to help with the conversions).    Or use the convert feature in Emby of course - but I have never used this.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1