Optional Network Path Question

numbersix

numbersix

I have Emby Server running on an RPi3, working well:

• the RPi3 is plugged right into my router
  • the RPi3 has a static IP
  • a 4TB external HDD is attached to the RPi3 via USB
  • all is well

My question is there any advantage to defining the "Optional Network Path" when I add my libraries? I've read the wiki, and it seems to be saying that setting an ONP when you add a library allows apps to bypass the Emby Server and access the files directly --- but when I access my Emby Server on Kodi, or the android app, I seem to have direct access to those files already.

My questions are...

1. What am I missing about how the ONP works?
  2. Does setting it at the time you add a library somehow make playing the media faster?

Thanks!

Hi @@numbersix, this option doesn't affect your ability to play, it's just that it can help the apps play in a more optimal way. Currently the apps that support this setting are Emby Theater, and also our two Kodi addons - Emby for Kodi and EmbyCon. if you're happy without it, then you may not need to bother. Essentially the difference is that the apps can play the direct file path instead of being routed through Emby Server's http server. In most cases it will not matter. On a slower performing network, it might help.

• 1 month later...
schogobong

I have a quick follow-up question on this:

I have a QNAP NAS running my Emby Server and an Apple TV Box running Emby Theater. I would like to set up the shared network folder access.

On your support page there's a note, that this might need network credentials, but I'm not entirely sure how this is meant.

- QNAP user name: [qnap_user]

- QNAP pw: [qnap_pw]

- Emby user name: [emby_user]

- Emby pw: [emby_pw]

qnap_user is an admin account that has installed and set up Emby. How do I make sure that emby_user has file-access through the local network? Or how can I check if that access might already exist?

I have a quick follow-up question on this:

I have a QNAP NAS running my Emby Server and an Apple TV Box running Emby Theater. I would like to set up the shared network folder access.

On your support page there's a note, that this might need network credentials, but I'm not entirely sure how this is meant.

- QNAP user name: [qnap_user]

- QNAP pw: [qnap_pw]

- Emby user name: [emby_user]

- Emby pw: [emby_pw]

qnap_user is an admin account that has installed and set up Emby. How do I make sure that emby_user has file-access through the local network? Or how can I check if that access might already exist?

Hi, you can leave it blank because the Apple TV app doesn't utilize this.

schogobong

Well that's good to know, thanks :D

How about when I want to set this up for other Windows machines on the network?

I honestly don't really understand your question. You just need to enter a folder path that your other devices can reach. So for example, something you can enter into the address bar of windows explorer.

schogobong

Sorry for that - I'll try to make it clearer.

In the field for "Shared Network Folder" I have entered the folder path pointing to the appropriate folder \\Server\Shared Folder\.......

But here (https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159320-optional-network-paths) at the very bottom it says:

If you choose to use network paths instead of local drive letters you will likely have to setup network credentials for the username running the Emby Server application.  You will need to grant this user proper access to folders and files as well.

Does that mean that, for direct file access to work,  I will have to set up a user on my QNAP with the exact same login credentials (username and password) for any user on my emby server?

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 2:52 PM, schogobong said:

Sorry for that - I'll try to make it clearer.

In the field for "Shared Network Folder" I have entered the folder path pointing to the appropriate folder \\Server\Shared Folder\.......

But here (https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159320-optional-network-paths) at the very bottom it says:

Does that mean that, for direct file access to work,  I will have to set up a user on my QNAP with the exact same login credentials (username and password) for any user on my emby server?

@schogobong

No, it means that if your optional network path is \\Server\Shared Folder, then your client devices will need to be able to reach this path in order for direct file playback to work. So for example, if you were using Emby Theater on a PC, you'd verify that by making sure you can reach that path with windows explorer.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

schogobong
On 6/28/2020 at 9:47 PM, Luke said:

@schogobong

No, it means that if your optional network path is \\Server\Shared Folder, then your client devices will need to be able to reach this path in order for direct file playback to work. So for example, if you were using Emby Theater on a PC, you'd verify that by making sure you can reach that path with windows explorer.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Makes sense, thanks Luke!