Search function search sort name too

acnp77

acnp77

The search function for movies does not display "sort titles". Is this intended? Also it does not display the results in the same order as they are listed in the "movies" library.

I think it would be a good idea to display the sort titles too. Or maybe an option in "settings" to define which titles ("tItle", "original title" and "sort title") should be considered in the results.

(Emby Server Linux 4.3.1.0)

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi, it displays the same title that you would see anywhere else in the user interface.

Also it does not display the results in the same order as they are listed in the "movies" library.

It orders them based on search relevance.

acnp77

I understand, I was just thinking that one could extend the search function by (optionally) showing "sort title" for the same reason the "sort title" is shown anywhere else in the user interface.

For example: I display "Bumblebee" together with the "transformer" movies. When I search for "transformers" it would be nice to show this "associated" movie "bumblebee" too.

So the "sort title" would have 2 functions: 1. sorting movies in the user interface and 2. showing additional search results.

Just I thought...

Cheers

Edited by acnp77
  • Like 1

crusher11

That's using the sort title for searching, which is different from displaying the search title in the results.

acnp77

Luke, what I am trying to say is: Would you not think it could be a good idea to display movies in the search results that have the search term in the field "sort title"?

Just to extend the search results a little bit? I think this could be very practical.

Edited by acnp77

Happy2Play

I guess this could be a real issue depending on the sort title used, i.e. when people use 1, 2, 3 as they want the items in that order in a collection.

acnp77

@@Luke

It is not up to me what the title (in my case English) and the original title is. The titles are a given. (At least to me it makes no sense to change "title" and "original title")

Maybe I can explain it better with an example:

Let's say I have the following titles (English) which in this case match the original titles:

- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

And I have the "sort titles" a follows:

- "Indiana Jones 1"

- "Indiana Jones 2"

- "Indiana Jones 3"

- "Indiana Jones 4"

Now I search for the term "Indiana Jones" and would get not only Part 2,3 and 4 but also Part 1.

The way the search works now I feel it is a bit limited and I do often not get all the results I am looking for.

Maybe all this makes no sense from your perspective, it was just a thought.

@@Happy2Play
Well then it is up to the user to use sort titles that make sense. Or have the "sort title" being included in the search results optionally, depending on how a user uses the "sort title" field.

CHEERS

Edited by acnp77

Happy2Play

Yep everyone want it their way, but it will not always work.

I still don't understand this?

For example: I display "Bumblebee" together with the "transformer" movies. When I search for "transformers" it would be nice to show this "associated" movie "bumblebee" too.

How would Bumblebee have anything to do with searching Transformers.  Are you referring to associating item that are within the same collection?  If so what does that have to do with Sort Title?

PenkethBoy

"sortname" is not used for searching - only sorting

i think you are assuming they are the same thing

acnp77

I am sorry, I am having a hard time explaining...

It's not about my way, but about extending options if it could be useful for other users too.

It is not about collections.

It is about widening the search results for the user.

In my example "Bumblebee" somehow belongs to the "Transformers" Movies and it would be nice to have it displayed (maybe optionally) even if I do not explicitly enter the search term "Bumblebee" but "Transformers" instead.

Think of it this way:

The "sort title" field is used to group movies that somehow belong together, but have different titles. In the same sense the search results could be extended by movies that "belong" to the searched movie to extend the results.

acnp77

@@PenkethBoy

"sortname" is not used for searching - only sorting

I know...

I thought maybe the "sort name" that now is only used for grouping items together may be used for extending search results.

Edited by acnp77

Happy2Play

It's not about my way, but about extending options if it could be useful for other users too.

In my example "Bumblebee" somehow belongs to the "Transformers" Movies and it would be nice to have it displayed (maybe optionally) even if I do not explicitly enter the search term "Bumblebee" but "Transformers" instead.

Think of it this way:

The "sort title" field is used to group movies that somehow belong together, but have different titles. In the same sense the search results could be extended by movies that "belong" to the searched movie to extend the results.

According to who?  It it its own collection or will be when Bumblebee 2 is released.  Are you saying your Transformer Collection items?  

Items are manually grouped into collections or grouped via collectionids.

Edited by Happy2Play

acnp77

According to who?  It it its own collection or will be when Bumblebee 2 is released.

You are missing my point...

Transformers and Bumblebee was just an example.

James Bond, Indiana Jones, Fast and Furious, etc. are other examples...

If by collections you mean movies manually grouped to a collection in emby, then no it is not about that. If by collection you mean movies that a user considers belonging together and grouping them in the user interface with the sort title field, then yes.

I only wanted to suggest the option of widening the search results by incorporating movies that have the search term in their sort title field for those users that may appreciate this.

But for some reason I do not see this discussion being productiv... sorry for that.

CHEERS

Edited by acnp77

The option is possible for the future. Currently the sort title column is not indexed by the search database so there would be some work required there.

PenkethBoy

@@PenkethBoy

I know...

I thought maybe the "sort name" that now is only used for grouping items together may be used for extending search results.

its used for a lot more than "Just" that

Happy2Play

Think of it this way:

Why do you think sort title has anything to do with grouping movies?  Sort title is exactly that, where a movies is sorted according to that name.  With your Bumblebee example what is its sort title?  I still don't understand the logic this example.

Sortname will put "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" in "A", where without a sortname it will appear in "I".

acnp77

@@Happy2Play

Example:

I use sort titles to display these movies together and in the correct order:

Without sort title the first movie displays under "R" and the other under "I". But I want them to be display together.

Other example:

Title / original Title:

Transformers
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Transformers: The Last Knight
Bumblebee

Sort titles:
Transformers 1
Transformers 2
Transformers 3
Transformers 4
Transformers 5
Transformers 6

So they are in the correct order and all together.

Edited by acnp77

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play

Example:

I use sort titles to display these movies together:

Without sort title the first movie displays under "R" and the other under "I". But I want them to be display together.

I see how this example would work, but to me that is what collections are for.  And what are you sorting Bumblebee to?  But I would never look for Bumblebee in "T" though.

But as a feature request I guess anything is possible in the future.

• Like 1

acnp77

I understand your point. But I use the sort title as a replacement to collections to keep it simple.

Yes, Bumblebee is kind of a weird example and to look for it under "T" is not perfect. But everybody has their own system... maybe I will switch to collections if I have the time...

Regardless, giving the option to incorporate the sort title in search results may be an asset to some users maybe... just an idea.

CHEERS

Edited by acnp77