TCL Roku TV - Green line on right side

JaScoMa

JaScoMa

Hello..

For a couple of my movies (h.265 encoded), I have a green line on the right side of the screen.

My other Roku and my Shield client does not have this issue with the same videos.

Any ideas?

If you enable the stats for nerds inside the video player using the cog/gear does it show as transcoding, directstream, remux, or directplay?

If it is not using transcoding you can try using the "Attempt Playback Correction" button and see what happens. This will adjust playback to try to work through problems. You can repeatedly use the attempt playback correction button. Once you exhaust all the tries it can make to correct the problem it will error out with too many attempts. You can try using this to correct any issues and maybe this helps?

The RokuTV ( 50S425 ) is the model I do ALL of my development on. I also test on an Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick+, and Roku Express. The RokuTV should not have issues. Which model of RokuTV is this? Also our next update to the application will include a prettier stats for nerds display with a MODEL (Model replaces Player) description on it. This model description will help us help you by disclosing to us exactly what we need to know to tell which device you are using the app on. It will disclose the Vendor, Model, and Type (STB or TV).

We may need a sample of the video to debug it fully. Which firmware version is on your RokuTV? 

Edited by speechles

JaScoMa

Is the other roku the same model?

No, the other Roku is a stand-alone version.

Here's the TV information:

Roku TV 7140X

TCL Model 43S421

Software Version 9.2.0 build 4502-30

I've tried both the Emby and Emby Beta clients and it occurs with both.  I checked for system updates and it's up to date.

EDIT: As a test, udpdated the Shield Emby Server to the latest beta and connected the Roku to that server.  Same issue, the green on the right-side.

Edited by JaScoMa

What is the difference between those videos and other hevc videos that you have?

That artifact is usually related to interlacing but I think it would be odd to have HEVC interlaced content...

The other devices may simply have overscan settings that hide the artifact.

I know what is causing it. I have the same issue on my RokuTV with the sample provided and it is 100% related to upscaling.

Width                                    : 718 pixels
Height                                   : 462 pixels

The Roku will upscale. It expects 720x480. You are off 18 pixels in height from that and you get the 9 pixels of black letterbox on top and bottom to account for it. You will also get the green line on the right side for 2 pixels because 720-718 = 2. This is a bug in the Roku HEVC decoder. It makes that green line then upscaling makes that green line span more pixels. I do not see others with this same problem posting on Roku forums. I will make a post on Roku forums about it to get them to fix it. I will provide them the same sample you provided me but with a different link. ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

JaScoMa

I know what is causing it. I have the same issue on my RokuTV with the sample provided and it is 100% related to upscaling.

Width                                    : 718 pixels
Height                                   : 462 pixels

The Roku will upscale. It expects 720x480. You are off 18 pixels in height from that and you get the 9 pixels of black letterbox on top and bottom to account for it. You will also get the green line on the right side for 2 pixels because 720-718 = 2. This is a bug in the Roku HEVC decoder. It makes that green line then upscaling makes that green line span more pixels. I do not see others with this same problem posting on Roku forums. I will make a post on Roku forums about it to get them to fix it. I will provide them the same sample you provided me but with a different link. ;)

Great, thank you for the information.

I even tried removing the cropping for the width and even though the width was 720x462, the green line was still there.  Must be that it'll appear even because the height needs to be upscaled.

Thanks again..

• 3 years later...
Bismarck_ovr

not sure if this is even still pressing but i have a roku unit i plug into the projector in my room.  i believe it may be a voltage thing.  when plugged (USB/POWER) into my projector or 5V supply in my lamp it gives the green light but not off of their block they give with the roku

• Thanks 1