Strange Behavior - Remote Lock | No Seek | Freezes

abstract

abstract

Version: 3.0.5271.29451

Think this might be my first post - so thank you to all of the developers and testers for such an excellent platform. It has served us well for many years already and keeps getting better!

Since the last update I have been experiencing a range of new, unexplained, behaviour with both the client and server (x64 Windows 8.1) counterparts.

(This is the client / Classic Forum so will skim over the server first - ) The server functions fine once installed, but I had serious difficulty with the latest installer. It refused to complete the installation sitting at ~95% for a few minutes then appearing to be installed. However, the service would not start. I also starting to receive virus warnings from Symantec, which I have read elsewhere. Ignoring this threat, "uninstalling" and then manually deleting all traces of Media Browser I was then able to install (fresh). It may simply be the Symantec detection that was causing all issues.

Classic - we have started to experience a number of different issues since the 3.0.5271.29451 (and/or since new interface if I missed any updates), as below:

• Remote Freezing - having played a video, upon trying to navigate the menu it appeared that Media Browser had crashed. This occurred multiple times. One time using Task Manager I noticed that MB was actually responding to the mouse (accidentally running the mouse across the screen). These freezes continue - any remote control input seems to be ignored. Can be resolved by exiting Media Browser Classic and relaunching it (though, this is difficult with a remote!) - so it isn't a crash within 8MC itself.
    ('Standard' MCE remote, USB RF - EMPREX Brand).

I have now disabled the new interface (due to issues below) - so will confirm if this remote locking appears to be restricted to the new interface or across Media Browser completely.

• Other "Freezes" - again, since update media browser has started to freeze for a number of seconds before starting to respond again. Cannot reproduce reliably - ad-hoc occurrence. Normal function does return, freezes for different periods of time.

• New Interface - No Seek / Preview / Time Left incorrect - on the new interface the time left (I presume - right hand side) never matches the length of the video I have launched. At first I assumed it may be for the current chapter - however, when watching a children's programme with my daughter, noticed it reported a longer length than the video could be - so guess this is not related to chapters. 

Also unable to seek reliably - sometimes it does respond to advance/seek on the remote, but then no changes occur. A few times (mouse/keyboard/remote) it seems to only respond to presses after quite a long delay (3-20 seconds). The seek bar also does not respond.

Although we like the look of the new interface, due to the above - and also, importantly some built-in MCE functionality e.g. zoom, reported elsewhere - we are not able to adopt it due to the above issues.

Hopefully the above may be helpful - will try to report back any updates to above.

Thanks again!

Re: the end time - From the usage guide for the new interface pinned at the top of this forum:

538b7093c02b6_mbcnewplayerexpl.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
abstract

Really sorry to leave it so long, it's been a crazy period...

Update regarding the issues:

Now running Version 3.0.196.0.7-19.1

• Freezes - these continue and are a big frustration. I am unable to force reproduction, but the media browser classic interface will freeze when an item has been played and then the system left for a period of time. One system is purely used to drive our lounge (and, optionally, bedroom) TV, the system is always-on and also runs the MB server service as well as other services (Apache, MySQL and others). The system is otherwise stable.

Example:
    In a morning my little girl will launch Media Browser Classic (within 8.1MC) watch some peppa pig. We'll have breakfast and then when it is time to leave she will press Stop (MCE remote) and turn the TV off. Some time later we will return, turn the TV back on and the screen is as expected - on an episode details view. The remote will not respond, but the machine and all processes are working correctly.
    Two resolutions:
    1. Get the keyboard out (frustrating), Alt-Tab to desktop, Ctrl-Shift-Esc task manager and end the media center process. Relaunch media center and media browser and all is back to normal.
    2. Leave system for (unspecified - over 5 minutes and I've probably given it 15 minutes before reverting to 1 (above) before) and eventually it will begin to respond.

• New Interface - No Seek / Preview / Time Left incorrect - at the time of the original post I was seeing the new interface, but the end time was 0, I can confirm this has been resolved in one of the subsequent updates. We had disabled the new GUI, but are now using it and must congratulate the team - it's looking very nice, intuitive, the artwork is pleasing to the eye and the addition of the zoom options was a very good touch, preventing the need to access the media center UI.
  •  

Thanks for the update.  On the "freezes" are you sure it is frozen?  Perhaps the window has just lost focus?  Can you interact with it in any way with a mouse?

abstract

Thanks EBR...

WMC is definitely in focus, but does not respond to any remote interaction. Note: if I ALT-TAB to desktop and return focus to the Media Browser/Media Center window the screen goes completely black - I have not left it in this scenario to see whether it eventually responds.

I will have to review the situation with regard to whether the mouse responds - I know that on *some* occasions in the past (older Classic version) that the mouse did successfully interact. On these occasions the remote was completely blocked until Media Browser was closed and reopened (note: NOT media center, only Media Browser itself).

Unfortunately, it is difficult to bug-test as, as I said, I cannot forcibly reproduce the issue. But, when it happens it is very irritating as I often don't have the keyboard/mouse to hand, especially if we're watching the HTPC from the bedroom.

Thanks for the quick reply and I'll try to get back to you ASAP with further info...

abstract

ebr, as promised - some further detail.

Luckily (?), came back from work tonight and found it 'frozen' again.

Quick clip, which I hope might demonstrate the problem best for you... 

(d'oh - can't embed, but link: http://1drv.ms/YFcC3a)

Hopefully you can see:

• MB remote input frozen;
  • However the mouse does give some interaction;
  • WMC buttons missing in top-left corner; (so couldn't back out like I have done before to regain remote)
  • After ~10 minutes in this case MB crashes and returns me to WMC;
  • Once returned to WMC I have the remote functionality again.

In the past, I've managed to use the back/WMC button with the mouse to exit MB in order to regain remote control.

Is there an error in your Windows Event Log corresponding to WMC saying that MB stopped responding?  Also, do you have the MBC log from that session?  Thanks.

abstract

Interestingly, I cannot find any errors logged under Media Center relating to this (last one was re: MCupdate this morning).

Apologies EBR, but where can I find the MBC log file?

Scrap that - just tracking down the right one...

...hmmmm, notice all the server times are incorrect (don't know if this is related) - but, making it difficult to track down the correct one.

Working from the last modified time (in windows) I've attached the log that ends AFTER the issues, but it could have sat there in that state for up to 9 hours.

MBClassic-218201423355024225142db9c6e97c568a82ce4.log

Edited by abstract

abstract

Any idea why the time log is so off? (Time on the machine is accurate)

I'll clear the logs now and see if we have any joy tomorrow...

Thank you for taking the time to investigate this - really appreciated and if we can resolve these freezes the system will be 100% stable.

abstract

It freezes before returning to WMC (freezes, and then some time later returns to WMC of it's own accord).

I believe it played, but difficult to say with these short children's programmes (I don't always follow what the episode is etc.)

In the past/other freezes - yes, the episode has successfully played and returned to the episode details page.

(After which the system is left, and then some, unknown, period later the system is found to be frozen.)

Thanks again!

Were these items played in a group or individually?

I need to figure out as much detail as possible about that particular session because, if the item actually played then I'm wondering exactly how (with what interface) because the very last line in the log is us asking WMC to play that item and then that call appears to never return.  There should be a log entry right after it that informs us that we are using the custom player interface so it looks like WMC hung right when we asked it to play that particular video.

abstract

On this occasion they were individually played items within a season, however as I was busy around the house at the time I didn't see the exact circumstances of this freeze. As far as I know the episode had played (completed - they're only 5/6 minute programmes) and my daughter had since started playing elsewhere.

Maybe it would be best to wait for a freeze with accompanying log file when I am able to verify the exact scenario before the freeze occurs - though, in most of these I only know how the system was left (the screen and whether anything was playing, though these do match the above scenario - i.e. item finished playing, MBC on item details page).

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to add that I'm seeing the same behavior.  Media Browser (and WMC) becomes completely unresponsive to the mouse, keyboard, and remote.  I'm unable to do anything within Windows Media Center.  I have to close the application and restart.  Upon restarting WMC, everything works as expected.

Versions:

Windows 7 64bit w/ WMC

MB Server: Version 3.0.5366.22005

MB Classic: 3.0.207.0

Attached is the last log file before the restart.  Lots of System.InvalidOperationException exceptions.  Log file was 4+ MB, so I zipped it.

MBClassic-2192014116db592c4214b0ca053f33b52777067.log.zip

I wanted to add that I'm seeing the same behavior.  Media Browser (and WMC) becomes completely unresponsive to the mouse, keyboard, and remote.  I'm unable to do anything within Windows Media Center.  I have to close the application and restart.  Upon restarting WMC, everything works as expected.

Versions:

Windows 7 64bit w/ WMC

MB Server: Version 3.0.5366.22005

MB Classic: 3.0.207.0

Attached is the last log file before the restart.  Lots of System.InvalidOperationException exceptions.  Log file was 4+ MB, so I zipped it.

Those errors started to occur 3 hours after you stopped playing the last item and continued for several hours.  Are you sure that is the right log?

That's the only log from that day before the freeze.  That's probably right, as we started watching TV from the tuner and some Netflix in between MB sessions.

Okay.  Those errors can't be related to your freezing since they happened hours after you said it froze up.  There is no indication in the log that anything went wrong or froze though so I'm not sure what is happening.

You said you were seeing "the same behavior" as abstract which was a freeze after playing an item.  In your log, there is no playback for several hours before the end of it.

So, your issue is probably different and is probably due to the fact that MB was still running while you were doing all those other things in WMC (and overnight while WMC was recording stuff).  I think I see what is causing that and can address it.

• 1 month later...
abstract

Hi all, sorry I've been away/silent for so long, hectic period.

EBR - the freezes have improved dramatically, but I am still getting the odd one every so often (maybe once in a fortnight now, rather than every day/other day).

...in that time there have been a number of confounding issues that make the diagnosis difficult:

• One of my HDDs was failing, causing a range of system issues.
  • A number of sectors/cells on my SDD have also failed.

• Since resolving the above, the freezes have more or less stopped (once in a blue-moon). However they do seem to persist and are unreproducible.

Some of the recent updates have been astounding - great work ebr and to the rest of the team!

I will continue to review the freezing issue now that the hardware issues are resolved, but the common trait seems to be that they occur when WMC/MB is left to idle once returning to the episode details screen - i.e. after an episode has played the hang can occur, but if MB is left playing random episodes continually (e.g. overnight) the system is always (to my recollection) responsive.

(This *might* support jobsquads report too?)

Many thanks!

• 4 months later...
anup56

its likely Symantec Endpoint protection, my program is being completely stopped and removed by Symantec Endpoint protection. Not sure if its becuase of the version change or

my symantec detecting erratic behavior on the new program?

I tried last night tiwce to get it working again and both times it would freeze then i would see the symantec notice of High risk prgram behavior and it wouldremove MB