Electron Not Responding - "Circle of Death"

naeyaert

naeyaert

Hi Emby. My Emby theatre and server was working perfectly last night and now I can’t get Emby server to launch whatsoever even after lots of reboots etc.

I noted the files all show “last modified 3/15/2019

Has an update gone wrong? What should I do? When I launch the server app I get NOTHING.

THANKS.

Hi there, can you please describe the problem in more detail? Are you having trouble with Emby Theater or Emby Server? Are you able to use the Emby web app?

Please see how to report a problem. Thanks.

naeyaert

It's just the server component - it wont launch at all.  I ended up re-downloading the server.exe from your website and reinstalling and it worked fine.

I did nothing to my system and as mentioned, I noted the files all said "last modified 3/15/2019" (which is today).

Was there an update that didnt go to plan?

naeyaert

OK thanks - very odd but the reinstall seemed to work.

Also while I'm chatting, I noted that one of your team mentioned that you were moving away from using "Electron" (whatever that is)....I note that on occasion I still get the "Electron is not responding" error and everything freezes.

Does this ring any bells?  What version of Emby Theatre should I be on?  

Thanks

Does this ring any bells?  What version of Emby Theatre should I be on?  

If you installed it from the website, then it is the correct version. Please try the next app update and see if that helps. Thanks.

naeyaert

If you installed it from the website, then it is the correct version. Please try the next app update and see if that helps. Thanks.

OK, so when is that update happening please?  Do I need to keep visiting the website to pull down the Threatre app (new versions) or does it update automatically?

Sorry for the stupid question

• 11 months later...
naeyaert

Guys I love Emby and use it daily so thank you for your awesome work.

I have a problem that I've been living with for a while and I'd love to get rid of it.

I often have an error where Emby Theater (my version is 3.0.8) wont respond and my screen goes pale and I get an error "Electron not responding".  I am using Server v4.3.1.0

I logged this error a while ago and someone on here said "that's weird we're not using electron (or something similar) and you asked me to go and delete something in the deep dark bowls of my server.  I guess that didnt work and I'd love someone to please help me.

This happens quite often (usually when I'm trying to play a video) and I get the (what I call) "the circle of death" where the circle just goes round and round and I have to crash out of the app and restart it and then it works fine for a while.

Could you please help me?

Many thanks Rob

naeyaert

Hi there, are there any entries in windows event viewer about it?

@@cayars Sorry I havent looked.  I'm not very technical so any help on what info to get you to help sort this would be appreciated.  Cheers Rob

Are you running the server and Emby Theater on the same computer?

For what Luke is asking.

To get to Event Viewer which is a windows utility it will likely be on your windows menu under Windows Administrative Tools listed with apps under W.

naeyaert

Are you running the server and Emby Theater on the same computer?

For what Luke is asking.

To get to Event Viewer which is a windows utility it will likely be on your windows menu under Windows Administrative Tools listed with apps under W.

Yes I am running the server and Emby Theatre on the same computer.  Do you think that is the problem?  I've always run it this way as I have a HP NUC driving my TV with EMBY Server and I run Theater as I can easily control it with my Logitech Touch Remote.

Does this help solve my Electron issue?  Again I refer to an earlier message from your team saying you were not using Electron (what ever Electron is?) in the future release so I'm wondering if I have a hangover from some prior version?

Help?

naeyaert

@@cayars can do a TeamViewer with you to take a look at what's happening.

Thank you - I'm in New Zealand so the time difference might not be helpful?

@@naeyaert if you would like to do this using TeamViewer send me a PM here on the forums and I'll give you instructions on the download and how to proceed.

In the PM send me a date/time (tomorrow or over the weekend should be fine) but try and pick a workable time if possible for me in the Eastern Standard Time Zone from 5am to 11pm. That's an 18 hour window so we should hopefully be able to make that work. :)

Carlo

BTW Rob, is this something you can reproduce all the time or is it something that only happens once in a while?

naeyaert

BTW Rob, is this something you can reproduce all the time or is it something that only happens once in a while?

Thanks again for the interest to help me - I cant replicate this all the time - it happens roughly 4 times a week and I use the system daily.

Does anyone know why this is happening or even what Electron is?

Cheers Rob

Thanks again for the interest to help me - I cant replicate this all the time - it happens roughly 4 times a week and I use the system daily.

Does anyone know why this is happening or even what Electron is?

Cheers Rob

https://www.electronjs.org/

Electron in a nutshell is cross platform framework for creating native applications with web technologies like JavaScript, HTML, and CSS.

The remote session would basically be a fact finding mission of sorts.  I could check event viewer for errors or possible problems. Check Emby logs, check any updates that might be missing, versions of Java/javascript, etc, do a few simple system checks and check HDDs for possible cross linked files or anything that could cause grief, do a quick review of Emby Server settings, etc...

If we happen to see something out of the ordinary I could help you fix it on the spot or allow you to do a backup and log back in later for changes.  If we don't find anything like this then I'll at least have the information Luke has asked for logging/event wise and can report back on the status of the overall system, updates, logs and events.

There is nothing to fear doing this as we will be doing it together while in one on one chat (text or voice) and I usually have you do the work and I ask/tell you what to do as I watch and explain what we are doing so you learn along the way as well. If we were to try something we'll backup at least directories or registry first so we can easily undo things if needed.

We could try and go over a lot of things in this thread but we can rip through them quickly together remotely as this is most likely something unique to your system in some way and would probably be the best/fastest way to help you.

naeyaert

As requested here are a few images from my Event Viewer - it shows that the App Crashed 

This happened again in the weekend.

Can anyone PLEASE help me get this issue fixed please?

Many thanks  Rob

5e654a56ed302_embyerror1.jpg5e654a6a47856_embyerror2.jpg

Guest asrequested

I've had something similar happen. Are you using an mpv.conf? If yes, what's in it?

Edited by Doofus