New transcoding Emby server

Niklos

Niklos

Hi everyone,

I currently play emby Server from a Synology 1819+ NAS. I use the emby app on my LG TV. 

It is working great... Unless it has to transcode 4K video... In such case, the video is just not good at all and I can see that the NAS' CPU is at 100% usage... 

So, I would like to get a new server for Emby that is able to transcode 4K videos to 4K.

At first, I though about using a new Synology NAS with hardware transcoding such as 918+ but it can only transcode 4k videos to 1080p.

I though about buying emby premier to transcode video before watching them but... well... $120... It seams a bit to much to me only for transcoding.

So, here is what I want exactly :

Some kind of server that is able to transcode 4k and stream it to the TV. I play only the Audio on 2.0 channel so it may have to transcode audio too.

I though about an Nvidia shield because it is not as expensive as a "server" that can transcode 4k. Is it a good idea ?

So it would be the Emby server, it would have to take the files from my NAS and then through to the TV using ethernet. I don't want to have to use the shield interface or remote or anything. I want to configure it and forget it. The TV must be able to find the Emby server on the shield and then, be able to remotly use it (just like if it was on my NAS or anywhere else).

Is it a good idea ? Would it be able to transcode 4K without any issue ? Do you have other ideas that would be cheaper and/or better ?

Thank you very much.

By the way, here is the hardware I currently have :

TV : LG 55OLEDC9

NAS : Synology DS1819+

Switch Gigabit

Thanks everyone !

Hi.  No, I would not use the Shield as a server if you feel you need to transcode 4K.

Why do you feel you need to transcode 4K to 4K?

Niklos

@@ebr Well, because Emby tells me too ^^ : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67211-help-why-must-server-transcode-when-playing-hevch265/

And I don't want to get my videos transcoded to 1080P. I tryed to transcode them before playing them with my computer but... the new files is definitly worse than the original (playing both of them on the computer). And, well, I don't want to bother doing it my self. I want to have a plug n play solution that could play (so transcode it too if necessary) my stuff in 4K.

edit : actualy, I don't know if what I wrote really makes sence... What I would like is to be able to play smoothly all of my movies (including 4K, 1080p and 720p) using emby on the TV without having to reencode my files before playing them (unless it is well done on the fly in the back ground, without me having to do anything)

Edited by Niklos

What I would like is to be able to play smoothly all of my movies (including 4K, 1080p and 720p) using emby on the TV without having to reencode my files before playing them (unless it is well done on the fly in the back ground, without me having to do anything)

If that is truly your goal, I think you should be looking at a true PC with a nice graphics card (or built-in graphics capability).  The folks in the hardware forum can probably help you in the right direction.

Niklos

That is definitly my goal. But, well, a full computer is kind of expensive and is not that silent (unless you pay even more). So I feel like there is no good solution for my problem. I thought the shield would be enough. But you seems to say that it is not.

It really depends on your exact requirements but, based on what you've stated, I'd be skeptical.  There is only so much computing power you can get for $150....

Niklos

Hmm, here is another idea. Don't know if it could work but here it is :

Let's say that I keep everything the way it is. Except one thing : Telling the Emby server to use a computer that is on the network to do the transcoding if needed. Is this possible ? 

I don't want to put the emby server on this computer because I like to have it off while I watch a movie, but still, if this is a possible for like, the 10% movies that need to be transcoding that could be an acceptable solution.

So is it possible ? That computer is currently using windows 10 but I can run a virtual machine on it that would use a linux.

Also, while I am writing this post, I just thought that my emby server is on a docker container so could I just run that container from the computer when it is needed ? Let's say I just turn off the container on the NAS and then launch it from the windows using the container that is the NAS (and stay on the NAS while being used on my windows.). This could be the perfect solution. Cheap, seems easy to configure, and I have everything I need to make it work... The only thing I would need to change is to find a way to have my contener having it's own IP address so Emby player could not tell if it is playing from the computer or directly from the NAS.

What do you think about that ?

Nb : my computer has a 3800X processor so, I guess this could be enough for 4k transcoding ?

Edited by Niklos

Niklos

Transcoding 4K is the worst thing you can do. Why don’t you just direct play the media?

Well, because it does not want to... 

Anyways, here is my solution : 30 feet HDMI cable from my computer to the TV and, if needed, I'll just play the media from VLC on my computer bypassing Emby.