Some noob questions about embycon for kodi

idiocracy

idiocracy

Just want to start by saying it is working, and i have the skin installed. Transcoding is off.

• How do i make kodi automatically load emby so i don't have to start it manually?
  • Can i make emby go to movies as default home dir?
  • How do i make emby consolidated multiple versions of the same movie into one movie poster? IE, if i have both 1080 and 4k.
  • Can i make it only display specific resolutions?
  • How do i sort the movie directory into added by date? So newest are at the top, recently added directory does not show all movies but only a smaller selection.

@@TeamB

@@jlr19

@@djhifi

Edited by Luke

• 2 weeks later...
TeamB
How do i make kodi automatically load emby so i don't have to start it manually?

Do you mean start the emby server? I dont know

If you mean show Emby content then you can set up your skin or use Embuary or use the Skin cloner action in EmbyCon to have Emby items shown on the Kodi home screen as widgets.

Can i make emby go to movies as default home dir?

Do dont know.

How do i make emby consolidated multiple versions of the same movie into one movie poster? IE, if i have both 1080 and 4k.

This is an Emby server thing, the server can group movies together into the same entry and then when you play the item it will prompt you for the version you want.

Can i make it only display specific resolutions?

I dont think so, again check the server.

How do i sort the movie directory into added by date? So newest are at the top, recently added directory does not show all movies but only a smaller selection.

You should be able to sort movies by date added in the left hand sorting action in Kodi.

How do i make emby consolidated multiple versions of the same movie into one movie poster? IE, if i have both 1080 and 4k.

Hi, yes you can do this. Please check out the multi-version naming section of our movie naming guide:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

idiocracy

Do you mean start the emby server? I dont know

Emby server runs on the server. Kodi is running on the client.

If you mean show Emby content then you can set up your skin or use Embuary or use the Skin cloner action in EmbyCon to have Emby items shown on the Kodi home screen as widgets.

I'm not sure i follow, so you're saying that instead of starting emby every time you start kodi, you can just create a shortcut to movies and place that on the kodi homescreen?

Edit: So i tried it, and it does not actually work.

When starting kodi it takes a few secs for emby to start, that's enough time for the widget to fail loading the dir and it then displays nothing as it tried to load the content before emby was started. Reloading the skin manually fixes it, but you'll have to do that every time you start kodi.

While not perfect, in theory it does eliminate a lot of clicks. Another downside is it only shows one smaller row of movies, leaving out all the info that is present when going into the dir. No option to use multiple rows or use all the real estate like it does when inside the movie dir. The widget does however allow you to sort by date added.

You should be able to sort movies by date added in the left hand sorting action in Kodi.

It does not appear to be an option, you can sort by the movies date, but that's not the same. A movie from 2005 might've been added to the library after a movie from 2015 making it "newer" in terms of date added. So the movie from 2005 should appear before the movie from 2015. But the way it sorts it is putting the 2015 movie first because it's a newer movie in terms of release date. But it's also possible i'm just doing it wrong.

This is an Emby server thing, the server can group movies together into the same entry and then when you play the item it will prompt you for the version you want.

Hi, yes you can do this. Please check out the multi-version naming section of our movie naming guide:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Oh i see. So that's only a yes if you're manually moving files into the same subdir. It can't do it if there's two directories called "Movie 1080p" & "Movie 2160p", that's a bummer.

Thanks for assist.

Edited by idiocracy

TeamB

I am not sure what you mean by start emby.

EmbyCon can show you content from emby, EmbyCon is a kodi add-on, it does not need to start. If you set up a skin or use the skin Cloner action in EmbyCon to show your content on the home screen of kodi then it should just show up when kodi starts. If the emby server is running there should not be any delay.

Edited by TeamB

idiocracy

Start/activate/enter/go into/open. When starting kodi there's a popup saying emby is ready, so i was guessing that it somehow needed to start/load/initiate or something. I don't know what the skin cloner is or does, not played with it yet, but will have a look at it later to see if that does the trick.

TeamB

I dont think you are using EmbyCon, it sounds like you are using Emby for Kodi, they are two different add-ons that do similar things, make your Emby items available for playback but use different approaches.

You are going to have to just play with some skins and see if you can get your system to work how you want, there are a lot of options and no one can give you the correct way as everyone has a different correct way.

Have fun.

idiocracy

Meanwhile i played with it, and could not find anything about skin cloner, but i did try to mess with the menu configuration instead which seems better. Regardless you still have to wait for the emby popup before entering any dirs or it will fail.

I am using this one: https://kodi.emby.tv/

TeamB

That page explains how to install the main Emby Kodi repo that contains all the Emby related the add-ons, you still need to install one of the add-ons after installing the repository.

It sounds like you installed the Emby for Kodi add-on which is just labeled "Emby" in the Kodi add-ons list in the repository from above.

If you go to your Video Add-ons in Kodi you can see what add-ons you have installed.

• 4 weeks later...
idiocracy

That page explains how to install the main Emby Kodi repo that contains all the Emby related the add-ons, you still need to install one of the add-ons after installing the repository.

It sounds like you installed the Emby for Kodi add-on which is just labeled "Emby" in the Kodi add-ons list in the repository from above.

If you go to your Video Add-ons in Kodi you can see what add-ons you have installed.

Sorry about the late answer. But you are correct, the add-on is labelled as "emby". I removed the emby addon and installed the embycon addon, it now says embycon in the ui. So far so good.

Edited by idiocracy