3 replies to this topic

#1 JRuh OFFLINE  

JRuh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 09:29 AM

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

Hello,

Hopefully I have the right area. I have been trying to figure out the best way to setup my Emby server so that I can connect remotely behind a VPN (currently using PIA w/ OpenVPN GUI) or if there is an easier way to simply encrypt my traffic. I basically want to share my server with one person, but I don't want my ISP to be able to see everything that the other person may be watching. Or if I connect remotely when away from home and stream from my server, I want the assurance that only I know what is being viewed.

I am looking for the easiest way to achieve this, but whenever I turn on my VPN, I cannot connect remotely. I have setup a static IP by using PIA in conjunction with OpenVPN, but it is the IP to one of PIA's servers, so I'm not sure how to route this or how to go about the port forwarding. It would be nice to have PIA always connected (I can use a static IP to one of their servers so that the IP doesn't change with each connect, but not sure if this purpose serves anything) and be able to connect to Emby remotely, stream with encryption. Another big perk would be to have all my home devices connect to one another on my network, without having to turn off the VPN. Not sure if any of this is possible.

Thank you!

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156835 posts
  • Local time: 10:29 AM

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:24 PM

@Doofus may have some VPN connection tips.

#3 darkassassin07 OFFLINE  

darkassassin07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Local time: 07:29 AM

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

As long as you have https configured for your remote connections, your ISP and anyone else monitoring your traffic can only see X ip is downloading/uploading Y amount of data to/from your ip. The actual data, and the requests for it are encrypted between client/server. (ie unreadable to the isp)

Adding a VPN to that simply adds another layer of encryption and makes sure the data heading to/from your ip goes to/comes from the ip of a VPN server before being distributed elsewhere. So your ISP now sees the same amount of data that they still can't read, they just have less of an idea where exactly that data is going to/coming from.

For free, you could add cloudflare in front of your server. Then your isp is just seeing encrypted data sent between cloudflare and your IP. They won't see the end client IP. Achieves the same result really.

Just my 2-cents. I'm by no means an expert, or even highly experienced. Just what I've gathered running my own emby server the last 3 years.
  • Dibbes likes this

#4 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:59 PM

https://emby.media/c...d-torguard-vpn/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Network, Encryption, VPN, PIA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users