Better..or Best Way To Merge Versions Of Same Media

jagrit007
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

jagrit007

First of all, Love your work!

Well I've seen how emby merges two different versions i.e by finding differences in the Filename.

Like if file 1 is "Abc movie - 720p"

and file 2 is "Abc movie - 1080p60". In such case it will merge both versions and give option to select either "720p" or "1080p60".

What I propose is that in case file names are completely same, use resolution and birate from file metadata to give clear option to the user.

I think I'm probably not making sense? Please check out the attached screenshot, it might be helpful. In that screenshot I have renamed the file to have resolution and bitrate but that's not that easy to do manually.

but as emby has all the file metadata, it can use that and instead of splitting versions by Name, it should be done by the the resolution and bitrate got from the file metadata.

post-321682-0-67657400-1582983702_thumb.png

... and this is the file metadata I'm talking about:

post-321682-0-07549100-1582983886_thumb.png

I think I made my point clear (._.')

Thank you,

Have a nice day!

jagrit007

Yes, if they are in different folders and renamed by filebot.

I could use filebot to have those things in name but that takes alot of time. ("._.)

Yes, if they are in different folders and renamed by filebot.

So...

Home Alone\movie.mkv  and

The Wrestler\movie.mkv

Should be merged as the same?

jagrit007

DUDE! I don't wanna be rude but why you sounding like you don't know how emby scans :(

Take for example:

file 1: /mnt/disk1/movies/1080p/Avengers/Avengers.mkv

file 2: /mnt/disk2/movies/720p/Avengers/Avengers.mkv

Now let's say both directories are added in emby and it scans file 1 first and matches it and store the information in database after that file 2 gets scanned and matched, but finds that it exists in emby so it merges them in one item. Now as name is same in both cases, the version selector will show the same name. What I said was if both names are same some other detail to be considered and the next best thing to show is it's resolution and bitrate.

I think I made my point clear now.

It's okay if you want to close the feature request.

Thanks,

Have a nice day.

Take for example:

file 1: /mnt/disk1/movies/1080p/Avengers/Avengers.mkv

file 2: /mnt/disk2/movies/720p/Avengers/Avengers.mkv

Hi.  It is easy for a human to make that distinction but a computer would have a very hard time telling the difference between your example and mine.  If we could somehow teach it to, the performance impact would probably be massive and not worth the benefit of this feature.  Especially given that there are ways to achieve what you want in the current system.  I understand this is not necessarily obvious but that would be the case.

Thanks.

How will changing a string from "{filename}" to a "{resolution} ({bitrate})" increase any resource usage.

Hi.  The issue is before that point.  How does the system determine that those two items are actually "the same"?  Not what to do after that.

If all you are asking for is to auto generate a different choice string once you have manually merged items, then I misinterpreted what you are asking and apologize.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20200229-204832~2.png

Isn't it doing that part already?

If you mean matching them, only if you've manually merged them or are using the plug-in that does it based on provider data.

Like I said, if all you are asking for is some other criteria to show in the drop down for an already merged item, then yes, that is a fine request. Your initial wording stated that you wanted a "better way to merge" them from file name data and doing that automatically based only on file names would be quite difficult.

jagrit007

First of all, Finally I made my point clear.Yay!

Oh and apologies for being rude. :(

Yes. I want different criteria to be shown instead of list showing the same string (which is actually filename). So I asked for the list to show something more useful like BitRate and Resolution as it already possess that data with itself and there's no need to implement anything to get that data.

Like take a look at the below screenshot:

post-321682-0-72608600-1582990824_thumb.png

It's just way more helpful but when It shows the same name string in all items of list, it is of no use as one can't make which option is what birate and resolution. Like shown in the screenshot of my previous reply.

Edited by jagrit007