QNAP TR-004 keeps disconnecting

miniliQuid

miniliQuid

Okay so I have a back-up device, and it's been working for 2 months (after it was replaced right after buying it).

Unfortunately recently it has started disconnecting everytime I start copying files to it.

Sometimes if it is a really small file it goes fast enough that it gets through without disconnecting (or just before it disconnects), but generally I just cannot get new files on the back-up device.

Pretty crucial problem for a server back-up :(

Now my doubts are mostly with the device as my first thought was HDD failure.

HDD and USB failures are the only experiences I have had where this type of disconnection problem has popped up for me before my current issue.

However with the first device, I changed the HDD's for different ones first, then bought new ones and used them.

That didn't help and the raid manager said they are all healthy. Used checkdisk to see if that found and solved anything but of course no luck.

After getting a replacement device, the HDD worked fine in the new one for 2 months or so, but now the same problem pops up, which makes me think the device is simply not up for this kind of use.

Now so far the service team from QNAP is still looking into things, but I generally get messages back like "3th party software isn't supported" and remarks like that which give no solution.

Of course I can imagine problems with one or 2 software programs, but this device seems to function with no back-up programs like FreeFileSync, SyncBackFree etc.

On top of that normal windows copy doesn't work anymore either, where before any and all copying methods worked fine :(

Has anyone ever encountered this disconnecting behaviour (only on copying) that wasn't a HDD issue?

I am totally stuck as the behaviour makes me think HDD issues, or USB cable issue.

However disconnects on copy, rather than when moving the USB cable by accident for example, doesn't fit cable damage I guess (also second time, would mean pretty bad USB cables on the device) and with the HDD working after previous device got replaced I hardly think that would be the issue this time...

PenkethBoy

I would search the QNAP forums for any similar behaviour

But its a USB device - and USb does disconnect from time to time

Get a good quality USB cable and try that

could be a dodgy USB port on either the 004 or your pc

What does SMART show for the disk(s)

How are you copying to the 004 from windows - direct connection via usb or your network?

the 004 is for connecting to a QNAP NAS

miniliQuid

Been strolling through their forums more than once as well :D

Unfortunately the disconnects aren't very random.

As soon as copying starts it just disconnects, while when simply connecting the device and doing nothing with it let's it stay connected :(

As for SMART, after getting the new device and running some checks it said the disks are fine, so as it wasn't previously the problem I am unsure it would be this time.

I would normally check to be sure, but as the device simply disconnects when trying something (even checkdisk), that becomes quite problematic.

The device is connected with USB to the server directly (not connected on a different device and trying to move it over the network).

I did just get your last remark from support as well though :( saying the device works better with one of their NAS devices.

Will think about checking the port and cable just to be sure, though at this point I am thinking about getting a different device and returning this one.

Thanks for the help! :)

PenkethBoy

yes - i would return it and get a "normal" usb multi disk box of amazon etc