Consistent design and feature parity across all platforms

MBSki

MBSki

Mixed content libraries look different in Web App, Android TV and Apple TV.  I vote for Apple TV layout.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80522-artwork-in-lastest-recordings-mixed-content/?hl=%2Bmixed+%2Bcontent

Ah, so for mixed content all platforms should look like Android TV.

Resumable items have diffent "End at" depending on the platform. Web app calculates that time from restart and TV apps (Android TV, Apple TV) calculate that time from the resume position.

Shouldn't all the platforms calculate based on time from resume position like the TV apps?

Sammy

I much rather the focus of efforts be on fully functional remote key mapping similar to WMC than any of this stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

MBSki

I much rather the focus of efforts be on fully functional remote key mapping similar to WMC than any of this stuff.

#5 addresses a very small part of fully functional remote key mapping. I assume there's a lot more than that though. 

"5. Start playback by pressing play on remote control: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it"

Dan_Austin

Voted yes, but really mean yes/where possible.  Remote key-mapping being a great example.

Not all platforms can support it, so 100% consistency in not likely.

Cosmetic consistency should be doable, meaning having the same menu options in the

same relative place. 

The first post is getting interesting, as I have wondered what elements from which platforms

where considered 'best' and would be targets for implementing on the other apps.

• Like 1

vdatanet

"Now recording" row is missing in Android TV and Apple TV. (and others)

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

"Now recording" row is missing in Android TV and Apple TV. (and others)

Doesn't that just duplicate the first "x" items in "Latest Recordings"...?

vdatanet

Doesn't that just duplicate the first "x" items in "Latest Recordings"...?

Yes, but there is a little issue in Android TV app, if I have enabled "Recording now" in home screen of web app and if I open home screen settings in Android TV app, without changing anything, "Recording now" is repaced by "My Media".

Edited by vdatanet

I'll have to get with Luke on that as I thought we had decided to eliminate that row because it is completely redundant.

Thanks.

vdatanet

I'll have to get with Luke on that as I thought we had decided to eliminate that row because it is completely redundant.

Thanks.

It makes sense to me.  :)

MBSki

Thanks.

So are the active recordings supposed to show up in the Latest recordings row? If that's the case, agree that "Active Recordings" can be removed from everywhere it currently exists. I've experienced the problem vdatanet mentioned too so getting rid of it would solve that issue.

vdatanet

Thanks.

But remember to show thumbs on a mixed content library row, I use the "Now recording" row because it's clearer when recording shows.

5e5d7bc476990_Capturadepantalla20200302a

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Here is another one:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78971-in-android-tv-app-make-channel-view-consistent-with-web-app

Now they are very similar, I only miss the progress bar of the aired program. I use that progress bar to quickly identify channels with a rencently started program.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

MBSki

Here is another one:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78971-in-android-tv-app-make-channel-view-consistent-with-web-app

Now they are very similar, I only miss the progress bar of the aired program. I use that progress bar to quickly identify channels with a rencently started program.

Added as #13.

Sammy

#5 addresses a very small part of fully functional remote key mapping. I assume there's a lot more than that though. 

"5. Start playback by pressing play on remote control: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it"

I'm talking about direct entry points for things like Guide, Closed Captions / Subtitles, Home, Last Channel, LiveTV, RecordedTV, Record Current Channel; maybe even adding direct entry points for Movies and TV Shows to go directly to these libraries..

MBSki

I'm talking about direct entry points for things like Guide, Closed Captions / Subtitles, Home, Last Channel, LiveTV, RecordedTV, Record Current Channel; maybe even adding direct entry points for Movies and TV Shows to go directly to these libraries..

Ok, so what remote and platform currently have that ability? Sounds interesting to me. I'd like to be able to program my Harmony remote to directly access some of the functions you mentioned. Interested to hear how I could do that if the mappings were implemented.

Sammy

Ok, so what remote and platform currently have that ability? Sounds interesting to me. I'd like to be able to program my Harmony remote to directly access some of the functions you mentioned. Interested to hear how I could do that if the mappings were implemented.

WMC had this a decade ago. Of course they had MS Backing too.

WMC had this a decade ago. Of course they had MS Backing too.

And a remote control specifically built for their application with dedicated buttons for those operations.

• Like 1

MBSki

And a remote control specifically built for their application with dedicated buttons for those operations.

Ah, so is this not technically possible anymore? I'd be happy with just hitting 1 button to pull up Emby, but don't even think that's possible.

Sammy

True.

And I know you've been able to capture some of them in AndroidTV like Last Channel and numerical input if using FLIRC. I guess I am just saying I'd rather the focus be on developing the remainder before efforts are made to have the apps exactly match each other in every minute detail..

arrbee99

Am all for consistent design when it comes to button placement and suchlike, but also like to see variations in appearance, such as themes, meaning more than just colour variations, but the presence or absence of certain elements and their size and placement. I guess doing both might not be easy, but would still like it.

And my personal bugbear, stop getting rid of horizontal scrolling.

• Like 1

MBSki

Am all for consistent design when it comes to button placement and suchlike, but also like to see variations in appearance, such as themes, meaning more than just colour variations, but the presence or absence of certain elements and their size and placement. I guess doing both might not be easy, but would still like it.

Is that within the same platform? So variations in size and placement like in Android TV how you can change the size of the thumbnails in the library to small, medium, or large? Definitely agree that having options like that available makes for a better experience.

And my personal bugbear, stop getting rid of horizontal scrolling.

Yes, agree in some cases. I like horizontal scrolling for home pages. Especially for the libraries on TV and web. I'm a fan of how Android TV has implemented the library selection. 2 rows and I see my favorite libraries up front. All the others that I rarely access are hidden. For things like Collections within a library I'd rather see the items in grid view.

arrbee99

Is that within the same platform? So variations in size and placement like in Android TV how you can change the size of the thumbnails in the library to small, medium, or large? Definitely agree that having options like that available makes for a better experience.

Yes, agree in some cases. I like horizontal scrolling for home pages. Especially for the libraries on TV and web. I'm a fan of how Android TV has implemented the library selection. 2 rows and I see my favorite libraries up front. All the others that I rarely access are hidden. For things like Collections within a library I'd rather see the items in grid view.

Not just sizes. There have been attempts to have themes for Theater, for example, but they died a death. In the web, you can use css to change stuff, so I get rid of a lot of posters and make backdrops brighter, cos backdrops is what I like to see. I'd like to get rid of posters in Theater to see more backdrop but thats not possible (even though ironically that would have the effect of making things look the same again).

I like horizontal pretty much everywhere, even if it might be not all that logical (grid view used to scroll horizontally),  but its been pretty much killed in Theater and recently killed in Android TV.

• Like 1