Consistent design and feature parity across all platforms

MBSki

MBSki

It would be really nice if the best design elements from each platform could be merged into a single design. With the possible exception of Apple, the different platforms don't dictate design as much as they used to. Yes, there are minor variations when using the web vs TV vs mobile, but even across the app type the vast majority of design elements are reusable. 

IMHO it would be a much improved user experience if the design and features could be consistent across all apps. I'm a new Emby user, former Plexer, so I'm not familiar with the evolution of the app. I'm sure it's better, but could still use an overhaul to achieve a better user experience. The Android TV app seems to be the start of a good model to emulate for other apps. 

I added a poll so folks could vote on design consistency across platforms.

Here's the list comparing Xbox One vs Android TV. Many are slight variances, but still important since it leads to user confusion. I think my biggest gripe is how library access works. There's so much variation that every time I use a different platform I have to remember where the library I'm looking for has moved to.

Features

1. ​Playing videos in slide show: Android TV - In beta
  2. Resume rewind: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it

Design

1. Library Access (My Media - Small): Android TV - 2 rows with horizontal scroll; Xbox One - 3+ rows with vertical scroll
  2. One click filters in libraries for favorites and unwatched: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  3. Enhanced home page: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  4. Display preferences in libraries (image size/type): Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  5. Start playback by pressing play on remote control: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  6. Showing all media types in FavoritesAndroid TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  7. Live TV Options When Viewing: Android TV - Many on-screen options; Xbox One - Very limited options
  8. Date and Duration format: Android TV - DD MON YEAR (05 MAR 1999); Xbox One - DD/MM/YEAR (3/5/1999)
  9. Live TV Icons: Android TV - Well designed icons; Xbox One - Just text
  10. Live TV on Home Page: Android TV - Change to Guide, Recordings, Schedule, Series and add Programs at the end; Xbox One - Add Series
  11. Recording Options: Android TV - Record is first; Xbox One, Android Mobile, & Web - Record Series is first - Android TV is now the same as the others with Record Series first.
  12. Now/Active Recording: Web - Exists as Active Recordings; Android TV/Apple TV - Doesn't Exist (Debate over whether this is duplicative since Latest Recordings also shows recordings in progress.)
  13. Channel View Progress Bar: Android TV ​- Missing progress bar; Web App / Android Mobile ​- Has a progress bar on the channel view (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78971-in-android-tv-app-make-channel-view-consistent-with-web-app) - Android TV not has progress bar
  14. Latest Row Artwork for Mixed Content: Emby Theater, iOS, & Android Mobile - Covers are shown for Movies and episode thumbnail is shown for Shows, with cover size (wrong size); Android TV & Web App​ - Thumbnails are shown (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80522-artwork-in-lastest-recordings-mixed-content/?hl=%2Bmixed+%2Bcontent)

15. Media Types in Collections: Android TV ​- Only has movies and TV shows; ​Web App / Android Mobile​ - Includes at least movies, TV Shows, and music

16. Parental Rating, Audio/Video Codecs, and Subtitles Icons: Android TV - Shows the icons in enhanced home page for continue watching and next up, on details page, and in series lists (in beta); Web App, Android Mobile, & Xbox One - No icons

post-290994-0-04404000-1583098531_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-95753400-1583098534_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-15953700-1583098539_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-14992700-1583098543_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-44540800-1583098548_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-85166700-1583098552_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-28976900-1583098557_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-88719100-1583098564_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-53234000-1583098569_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-38605900-1583098583_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-88568700-1583098587_thumb.jpg

Edited by mbarylski
  • Like 3

maegibbons

The devs are already working towards this and have made huge progress thus far.

It just takes time.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That's not at all what I read.

There is no new design. The apps have almost exactly the same design at this point. There are of course still some small differences that we are gradually reconciling over time.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

maegibbons

Hmmm, that's different than what Luke said in this post: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/81548-new-xbox-one-update/ (#19). I asked about changing the Xbox One app to match the new Android TV app and the answer was that the Xbox One app wasn't changing. Maybe I misunderstood?

Think you need to highlight the differences that you find inconsistent so that other users and the devs can comment.

I find them all pretty similar these days.

Krs

Mark

MBSki

@@Sammy @@maegibbons Appreciate the input. Gotta be honest that I'm a little surprised the differences aren't more obvious. Must be because I'm a new user and I'm used to the practically identical design the Plex app has across all platforms. I'll go through the apps and start taking pictures of the differences so devs can comment.

Just one quick and really minor example though...date format: in Android it's DD MON YEAR (05 MAR 1999) and web it's DD/MM/YEAR (3/5/1999). Very minor I know, but why not just make it consistent? I'll go through and look for the more important ones and take some pictures.

And if there are any former Plexers out there, please comment. :)

miniliQuid

Some of the settings.

I know one of the apps had me on Dutch, while logging in on the others it puts it to English (the way I like it).

Though I am not that bothered with it and I love each and every app, unity across platforms is better since it's easier for users that aren't that comfortable with tech.

MBSki

Ok, here's the list that I've come up with. I'm just focusing on Xbox One vs Android TV for now. Gets even more complicated when adding all the other platforms. It's a mix of design, features, and things that are broken. Many are slight variances, but still important since it leads to user confusion. I think my biggest gripe is how library access works. There's so much variation that every time I use a different platform I have to remember where the library I'm looking for has moved to.

Features

1. ​Playing videos in slide show: Android TV - In beta
  2. Resume rewind: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it

Design

1. Library Access: Android TV - 2 rows with horizontal scroll; Xbox One - 3+ rows with vertical scroll
  2. One click filters in libraries for favorites and unwatched: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  3. Enhanced home page: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  4. Display preferences in libraries (image size/type): Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  5. Start playback by pressing play on remote control: Android TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  6. Showing all media types in FavoritesAndroid TV - Has it; Xbox One - Doesn't have it
  7. Live TV Options When Viewing: Android TV - Many on-screen options; Xbox One - Very limited options
  8. Date and Duration format: Android TV - DD MON YEAR (05 MAR 1999); Xbox One - DD/MM/YEAR (3/5/1999)
  9. Live TV Icons: Android TV - Well designed icons; Xbox One - Just text
  10. Live TV on Home Page: Android TV - Change to Guide, Recordings, Schedule, Series and add Programs at the end; Xbox One - Add Series
  11. Recording Options: Android TV - Record is first; Xbox One - Record Series is first

Broken

1. 4k playback: Xbox One - Doesn't work, but hopefully will be fixed with mpv player
  2. Live TV seeking: Xbox One - Doesn't work, but hopefully will be fixed with mpv player

Edit: Added #10 - Live TV on Home Page.

post-290994-0-37747200-1582995924_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-56620500-1582995931_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-00782800-1582995942_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-01129400-1582995958_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-51051500-1582995965_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-63015000-1582995971_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-44707400-1582995977_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-76621000-1582995984_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-52353500-1582995990_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-34116600-1582995997_thumb.jpg

post-290994-0-39330700-1582996005_thumb.jpg

Edited by mbarylski
  • Like 2

maegibbons

Hi, thats a really good start.

Well done!

Krs

Mark

1. Recording Options: Android TV - Record is first; Xbox One - Record Series is first

Which one do you personally feel should be first?

maegibbons

Preferably Record.

Yes - as per Android TV

KRS

Mark

maegibbons

On the Live TV section, Android TV should be changed to

Guide, Recordings, Schedule, Series.

Whether you keep the tiles or go to buttons is debatable!!

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 2

MBSki

On the Live TV section, Android TV should be changed to

Guide, Recordings, Schedule, Series

And add Programs at the beginning of Android TV, and Series to the end of Xbox One.

Whether you keep the tiles or go to buttons is debatable!!

Are the icons too big?

Spaceboy

I never use the programs option. Even now the suggestions are far too random to be of any use to me

MBSki

I never use the programs option. Even now the suggestions are far too random to be of any use to me

Would it work if it's the last option?

Spaceboy

Would it work if it's the last option?

as long as it’s not in the way of guide which I use almost exclusively then I’m easy
  • Like 1

MBSki

For those that voted not to match the design across platforms, are there specific items from the list that you'd prefer not to see across platforms? Are you at least good with things like the order of buttons being the same in every app?

MBSki

Great list here, thanks.

Thanks Luke. Can you pin the #8 post to the top? I can keep updating it as more suggestions are posted.

There's no way to pin a post from this topic to the top of the thread. You would just have to edit your first post to the same contents as post #8.

Also, please limit this thread to design/features and not for troubleshooting (aka things not working), as we already have a support process for that. Thanks.

• Like 1

vdatanet

Resumable items have diffent "End at" depending on the platform. Web app calculates that time from restart and TV apps (Android TV, Apple TV) calculate that time from the resume position.

• Like 2

MBSki

Also, please limit this thread to design/features and not for troubleshooting (aka things not working), as we already have a support process for that. Thanks.

No problem. I moved everything to the first post except for the broken items.