CPU upgrade(maybe)

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I have an i5 6500 and I have a friend willing to sell his i7 6700k. @ Would it make a difference with transcoding content?

This is in a custom build computer running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and emby is a docker container.

Any thoughts and input are welcomed.

mediacowboy

The only real difference between those is the CPU. I wouldn't bother. Can you fit a GPU in your rig?

No. It has one pci slot and I am using that for a lsi 9211 flashed in IT mode.

lightsout

It would be an upgrade, higher clock speed and 4 more threads. How much that will actually changer performance is debatable. 

The question would be is there something the server currently isn't doing that this might help it do.

Are you using quicksync for hardware transcoding? If not I would check it out, you might be pleasently surprised at 

what that little Intel iGpu can do.

mediacowboy

It would be an upgrade, higher clock speed and 4 more threads. How much that will actually changer performance is debatable.

The question would be is there something the server currently isn't doing that this might help it do.

Are you using quicksync for hardware transcoding? If not I would check it out, you might be pleasently surprised at

what that little Intel iGpu can do.

Yeah I am using quicksync I am also running sever docker containers. I'm still on the fence.

lightsout

Yeah I am using quicksync I am also running sever docker containers. I'm still on the fence.

Ok so whatever you use quicksync for of course won't change. If the cost is low I see it as a worthwhile upgrade. I had a 4 thread cpu (i5-4570) in my Emby server for a while, and it doesn't take much to tax a quad these days.

Could be a way to breath some life into a system, but if its like $200 I personally wouldn't bother.