Emby server and Roku app on same LAN - no internet

trevorkuznak

trevorkuznak

Hi,

I have my emby server running on my MacBook and have the emby channel on my roku tv. With the roku tv I connect to the host manually and use the LAN address and port listed on the server’s dashboard. The router is not connected to a modem as this is a trailer or second home. The roku emby app is stating it can’t connect to the server due to the connection. I had the understanding that it could still connect to the LAN without an outside internet connection.

Any help would be great. I have a netgear AC1000 router.

Alternatively, can I use my iPhone as a hotspot for the tv and computer and once the emby app connects, will it use cellular data? Does it need to?

Are you sure the Roku is attached to the network properly?  Are you sure the server is accessible from another machine?  Can you test with your phone attached to the same router?

trevorkuznak

The TCL Roku tv wouldnt connect to the router's wifi since it wasnt connected to the Internet. I plugged the tv in with an ethernet cord to the LAN port and my macbook is connected through wifi and it all seems to work. Although, now it is asking me to sign into emby each time even though the settings are set to "remember me". Not a big deal since it now plays everything. Just wish the TV would assign an ip address so everything can be done through wifi and the router can be tucked away somewhere.

skidmarks

So the TCL Roku TV is like the actual Roku's?  I suggested to them YEARS ago to allow manually configured internet settings.  Guess they have no interest in that.  Sure would be nice though.

Gilgamesh_48

So the TCL Roku TV is like the actual Roku's?  I suggested to them YEARS ago to allow manually configured internet settings.  Guess they have no interest in that.  Sure would be nice though.

You actually expected Roku to listen to a user or a developer they do not own? Roku has become more deaf to their users and the developers that make apps for their devices than Plex is. Both companies are so deaf to users that they cannot even hear the anguished screams of the suffering. The only time they notice the people they are stepping on is when they have to stoop to clean the mess from between their toes.

It is so nice that Emby actually listens and quite often responds in a benevolent manner. As I have said before, " Emby is like God. They respond to all prayers but, sometimes, the answer is no."