FreeNAS 11.3 Emby 4.3.1.0 Jail libx264.so.157 not found

GallaherMike

GallaherMike

First love Emby. Used Plex for several years and Emby as far as the setup and media management is running circles around Plex.

How I got here...

I installed Emby on Windows and test drove it for a month before deciding to jump all in. Bought a Premier license and started the process of installing on my FreeNAS server. Previously I had Plex manually installed in a Jail so that I could install updates faster than the FreeNAS release cycle. I did some reading and decided to do the same thing for Emby.

I already had my media dataset created and populated. Using the PDF from this post here, I setup the permissions for the Emby user/group.

Then based on another thread I used the following commands to create my Jail with Emby

cd /tmp
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ma-karai/iocage-plugin-emby/master/emby-server.json
iocage fetch -P dhcp=on vnet=on bpf=yes allow_raw_sockets=1 -n emby-server.json --branch 'master' 

Then I shelled into the jail and ran the following to add a port map from 80 to 8096

echo firewall_enable="YES" >> /etc/rc.conf
echo firewall_type="/media/ipfw_rules" >> /etc/rc.conf
echo "add 100 fwd 127.0.0.1,8096 tcp from any to any 80 in" >> /media/ipfw.rules
echo "add 100 fwd 127.0.0.1,8096 udp from any to any 80 in" >> /media/ipfw.rules
ipfw add 100 fwd 127.0.0.1,8096 tcp from any to any 80 in
ipfw add 100 fwd 127.0.0.1,8096 udp from any to any 80 in

Everything seemed good. A little configuration and I began to load up my movie collection. This all went really well (way better than Plex)

Then I tried playback and got the "Playback Error No compatible streams are currently available." error.

Checking the ffmpeg transcode logs I see...

Shared object "libx264.so.157" not found, required by "libavcodec.so.58"

Doing a little reading in the forums the response to this error seemed to be to point someone to the FreeBSD installation instructions and to use the "latest" not the "quarterly" package sources. While that doesn't seem completely applicable to my situation, it does tell me that the Jail I have most likely has older versions of one or more packages.

Questions finally

Can I "update" my jail to have the correct versions of those packages?

- If so can you point me to a guide?

Am I better just recreating the Jail?

- If so what instructions should I follow?

Not completely new to FreeBSD, but not an export by any means.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

Changing from quarterly to latest in a jail is quite easy.

Simply edit FreeBSD.conf which is found in /etc/pkg

You'll see:

url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly",

Just change that to:

url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",

In this particular case, I took a look at that json and it is still current and should already be using latest pkg. It installs version 4.3.1.0 which is the same version that's in freebsd ports, so you'd be best sticking to the official install methods to be safe. As @@Luke mentioned, the manual install method listed on the site is for the latest beta. You can always do manual updates in the future if you find the ports version is falling behind.

GallaherMike

Hi there, why did you install this way as opposed to just installing from freebsd ports based on the download instructions from our website? This manual install is really intended for beta users.

I was trying to setup a Jail that I could update when new versions were available. As I indicated I came from a PLEX Jail and sometimes the wait time for an upgrade was 3-4 months but I could do it manually sooner.

Given that FreeNAS 11.3 is installing 4.2.1.0_1 (4 months old) and installing manually installed 4.3.1.0_1 I was trying to avoid the same problems with Emby.

Ok yes that's fine,  however it means you will have to battle with these kinds of things from time to time.

Given that FreeNAS 11.3 is installing 4.2.1.0_1 (4 months old) and installing manually installed 4.3.1.0_1 I was trying to avoid the same problems with Emby.

The bigger question would be why 4.2.1.0 is being installed when installing from ports when it's been updated to 4.3.1.0 since mid-December?

https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/emby-server/

GallaherMike

@@MRobi

Based on your suggestion from earlier I was able to change to the latest packages and update/upgrade. Everything is working now.

As for why they are on an older build I do not know. With 11.3 they introduced jails based on community projects, and I feel like a lot of the "Plugins" will go this way to be able to roll out updates faster.

Anyway thanks for the help.

• Like 1

makarai

Sorry for that! I thought I changed the package repository to latest, guess I did not hit the submit button 6 month ago.

I checked my git, and it specifically states only tested on 11.2, as i have not switched to 11.3 my self, and also somehow my emb-server.json has latest in the package site. dunno why it would switch to quarterly

Edited by makarai

MRobi

Sorry for that! I thought I changed the package repository to latest, guess I did not hit the submit button 6 month ago.

I checked my git, and it specifically states only tested on 11.2, as i have not switched to 11.3 my self, and also somehow my emb-server.json has latest in the package site. dunno why it would switch to quarterly

I'm just waiting for a bit of downtime to update to 11.3. The new ACL manager sounds like it will solve a LOT of questions from new comers regarding permissions to their dataset.

makarai

Yeah, I am in the midst of setting up a dedicated emby/hypervisor machine w/ a nvda p2k and a 10gbit connection to freenas so I can just have freenas as a dedicated Nas device. So I am looking forward to update. But acquiring all the hardware for a hobby is always taking a little longer, long story short everything works fantastic on 11.2 and I don't want to troubleshoot right now in case the update won't work