Closed captioning

UCM_1

I'm trying to get Closed Captioning (TV) to work -- subtitles (movies) work fine, for the most part.

I have a HDHomeRun quatro tuner, am in the US, and am using over the air signals (no cable).

Closed Captioning does not show up on any device (Android, windows theatre, http, IOS).

I've tried searching for an answer in the forums here, but can't seem to find any good info -- except that it's been a problem for some people since at least 2017.

Is closed captioning working yet?  And if so, how do I get this to turn on?

Thanks.

Edited by UCM_1

Hi.  I believe Android TV is the only app currently supporting closed captions.

It is planned for the others as well.

Is there a different Android TV app that works with Emby?

Yes.  But only relevant if you have an actual Android TV device.

Baenwort

Hi.  I believe Android TV is the only app currently supporting closed captions.

It is planned for the others as well.

I'm not sure if the Roku app works or if it is just due to how I have ffmpeg set to extract cc from the .ts file and build a .srt in the recording directory?

I'm not sure if the Roku app works or if it is just due to how I have ffmpeg set to extract cc from the .ts file and build a .srt in the recording directory?

No, the Roku app doesn't work, so it must be what you have set up....  Can you share how you have it set up?

Guest asrequested

In Theater for Windows desktop, if you use mpv as an external player, I can make CC work. Luke just needs to add the option in UI.

• Like 1

Baenwort

No, the Roku app doesn't work, so it must be what you have set up....  Can you share how you have it set up?

I took a look at my processing script and I'm not actually using ffmpeg any longer but rather ccextractor using the argument: ccextractor "$outfile" -o "${infile%.*}.srt" where outfile is the name of the show as passed by emby and infile is the name minus the .ts extension. 

• 3 weeks later...
UCM_1

I took a look at my processing script and I'm not actually using ffmpeg any longer but rather ccextractor using the argument: ccextractor "$outfile" -o "${infile%.*}.srt" where outfile is the name of the show as passed by emby and infile is the name minus the .ts extension. 

Can you give me a little more info on your setup?

I'm using a jail on a FreeNAS system for my Emby system.  Took me awhile to get ccextractor even added to the system, and currently I only have version .85.

But when I use it to convert the files -- either thru the post processing option within Emby, or manually using the shell, the resulting .SRT files have all the captions but the timing is WAY off.  (The last caption is at about the 7 minute mark, in a 60 minute recording).

I am inclined to believe it is an issue with ccextractor version .85 because the .88 version on windows, when tasked with the same .ts files, works fine.  But I don't see anything in the changelogs for ccextractor that would explain this.

Anybody have a compiled version of .88 for FreeBSD (or a good description on how to compile it for FreeBSD)?

Or any other ideas?

Baenwort

You can compile using the instructions at: https://github.com/CCExtractor/ccextractor/blob/master/docs/COMPILATION.MD as autoconf and cmake are both available in the FreeNAS pkg store. Pick one and the instructions are the same.

I don't recall all the packages I had to install to build but I don't recall it being a difficult process.

Edited by Baenwort

• 1 year later...