Clue's multiple endings

crusher11

crusher11

The Blu-ray of Clue includes three different cuts, each of which ends with a different suspect being revealed as the murderer. There's also a fourth cut which plays the other three endings in sequence.

Is there any way to emulate this behavior in emby?

Spaceboy

The Blu-ray of Clue includes three different cuts, each of which ends with a different suspect being revealed as the murderer. There's also a fourth cut which plays the other three endings in sequence.

Is there any way to emulate this behavior in emby?

how would that work? surely by picking the cut you are going to know the ending? wouldnt you just use the cut with the three endings in sequence...

How does it work on the disc?  Does it prompt you just before the end or do you pick a version at the start?

We could support the pick a version at the start method by just ripping all four versions.  You would then get the option to select which one before playback.

crusher11

I obviously wasn't paying attention when I wrote the question, and somehow forgot the actual important part. Obviously multiple cuts are supported.

The thing I meant to ask about is that there's a menu option for "pick a random ending", which then selects one of the three single-ending cuts at random and plays that. This is essentially how it ran theatrically, I believe, with different cinemas getting different endings.

Yeah, it's just a menu option at the start, but it's the 'random ending' option I was actually meaning to ask about and somehow I completely forgot to mention it at all.

Obviously we have no facility for that and I doubt there would be enough of a use-case to develop one.  So, one idea I have would be to write some sort of script that runs every so often that modifies one of the versions (could pick it randomly) from a file-stamp standpoint.  That would probably cause Emby to re-ingest it and - assuming all versions are identical in other ways - might make the default version selected be different each time one of those files is modified...

crusher11

how would that work? surely by picking the cut you are going to know the ending?

They're called "Ending A", "Ending B", and "Ending C" on the disc menu. They're not named after the guilty party. So unless you've watched all three cuts before, and were paying attention to the result of each, no.

crusher11

Obviously we have no facility for that and I doubt there would be enough of a use-case to develop one.  So, one idea I have would be to write some sort of script that runs every so often that modifies one of the versions (could pick it randomly) from a file-stamp standpoint.  That would probably cause Emby to re-ingest it and - assuming all versions are identical in other ways - might make the default version selected be different each time one of those files is modified...

My first thought was splitting the cuts instead of multi-versioning them, making a collection, and shuffling that. But I'm not sure how practical that would be.

My first thought was splitting the cuts instead of multi-versioning them, making a collection, and shuffling that. But I'm not sure how practical that would be.

That could work too.

Spaceboy

They're called "Ending A", "Ending B", and "Ending C" on the disc menu. They're not named after the guilty party. So unless you've watched all three cuts before, and were paying attention to the result of each, no.

well, technically you’d have to only have watched 2 of them.

Spaceboy

Not necessarily, if there were more suspects than endings...

Paul

he has already watched it to know.....................

crusher11

well, technically you’d have to only have watched 2 of them.

And you'd have to remember which was which.

With any other movie you know the ending if you've seen it once. What's your point?

Spaceboy

And you'd have to remember which was which.

With any other movie you know the ending if you've seen it once. What's your point?

the sense of humour here is lacking

Another thought: could I use a strm file and somehow code it to randomly change which cut the strm file points to?

Yeah, that's probably an easier variation of my multi-version suggestion...

crusher11

Any suggestion as to how I might pull off the automated randomising? It's so far beyond anything I've ever done that I don't even know where to start Googling for ideas.

crusher11

Multi-versioning is completely broken for some reason on this one.

I started with the following files in the folder "Clue (1985)":

Clue (1985) - All Endings.mkv

Clue (1985) - Ending A.mkv

Clue (1985) - Ending B.mkv

Clue (1985) - Ending C.mkv

Clue (1985) - Random Ending.strm

landscape.jpg

logo.png

poster.jpg

theme.mp3

I now have three copies of Clue on my server: Ending A, All Endings, and Ending B. Ending C isn't recognised, Random Ending isn't recognised, they haven't properly multi-versioned, and the artwork isn't recognised either.

Previously it only registered Ending A, Ending B, and Random Ending. Again, as three different movies. It downloaded artwork for each of them. This time it hasn't even done that.

The three that are currently showing up are the only three that have generated NFO files.

WTF is going on?

crusher11

Here's the log. It can't be a problem with the file names because each time I delete the files and try again, I get a different combination of the three.

Also it seems I was incorrect about the three that show up as individual movies being the only ones to get NFO files. Ending B doesn't have an NFO file despite showing up, and Random Ending has an NFO file despite not showing up.

I've checked the details page for each of them and none list the missing files as multi-version options.

embyserver.txt

crusher11

Any suggestion as to how I might pull off the automated randomising? It's so far beyond anything I've ever done that I don't even know where to start Googling for ideas.

Never mind, managed it anyway. I now have a batch file that runs every few minutes and creates a new strm file with a random ending. Running it led to the creation of artwork for the strm file on emby's part as well. Still no idea why the multi version thing isn't working.

Happy2Play

The only thing supported is what is listed in our help article.

Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ".

If using the dash method anything following the dash will be what you see in the Emby client app. 

Is there a limitation of what can appear after the dash?

I added 

/Clue (1985)

/Clue (1985) - All Endings.mkv

/Clue (1985) - Ending A.mkv

/Clue (1985) - Ending B.mkv

/Clue (1985) - Ending C.mkv

2020-02-27 23:59:30.094 Debug App: Running MovieDbProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Movies - DB\Clue (1985)\Clue (1985) - All Endings.mkv
2020-02-27 23:59:30.286 Info App: MovieDbProvider: Finding id for item: Clue
2020-02-27 23:59:30.402 Info HttpClient: GET https://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movie?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&query=Clue&language=en

2020-02-27 23:59:33.233 Debug App: Running MovieDbProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Movies - DB\Clue (1985)\Clue (1985) - Ending A.mkv
2020-02-27 23:59:33.233 Info App: MovieDbProvider: Finding id for item: ing
2020-02-27 23:59:33.233 Info HttpClient: GET https://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movie?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&query=ing&language=en

Didn't see anything about B or C.

And got Clue and ing. for items.

@@Luke Why isn't the multi-versioning working?

After some testing with that naming scheme it would appear "File Stacking" is applying to that scheme (ie 1 through 9 or A through D) or at least interfering.  So 10 or higher, or E through Z will work in multi-version.

5e58d33dd01b3_Multi.jpg

We probably need a Note that "1 through 9 or A through D" can not be used in Multi-Version do to its use in File Stacking.

Happy2Play

We need section anchors in new support but look at Split video files (file stacking) in movie naming.

Edited by Happy2Play