Chromecast problem away from home

germanbuzz

germanbuzz
Hello.

I searched a few times before starting a new topic but I didn't find something 100% the same. Anyway, come on.

My EMBY works perfectly at home, both on SMARTV and on chromecast devices.

However, when I leave the house, I can select the desired chromecast but it does not start playing. The play button even appears, but in a static way.

I use the DYNU service for ddns, can this be the case?

If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much.

See you later.

Hi, yes it could be that. The Chromecast receiver may not be able to resolve the ddns address. You could try just going by ip address. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

germanbuzz
Good afternoon.

I did a test outside the home and it didn't work.

I entered the IP address.

Remembering that I entered with IPv6.

Do you have any tips or other programs that I can use with DNS?

Remembering that I entered with IPv6.

So ipv6 worked? 

Do you have any tips or other programs that I can use with DNS?

@, @@Abobader may have some tips.

mastrmind11

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.  You're trying to cast something from emby to a tv in your house while you're outside your LAN?  If so, I don't believe that is possible from just your device.  You can obviously remote into a PC on your LAN and cast emby from there, but Chomecast wasn't designed for what you're trying to do.  Potentially you could get away with this by running a VPN on your LAN and connecting to that, but it's not a trivial setup.

Guest asrequested

I think he means that he's traveling with a Chromecast device, and when casting to it the DNS he has the emby server is configured with isn't being resolved by the Chromecast device, and so it won't connect.

Does Chromecast work with IPv6? I'm thinking some of the issue is with that. As for the DNS, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

germanbuzz

So ipv6 worked? 

@, @@Abobader may have some tips.

It did not work with IPv6.
On the part of putting the server address I put the IPv6.
Sorry, I didn't express it correctly.

Does the server dashboard show your correct remote address, and does it show the domain name or the ip address?

germanbuzz

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.  You're trying to cast something from emby to a tv in your house while you're outside your LAN?  If so, I don't believe that is possible from just your device.  You can obviously remote into a PC on your LAN and cast emby from there, but Chomecast wasn't designed for what you're trying to do.  Potentially you could get away with this by running a VPN on your LAN and connecting to that, but it's not a trivial setup.

Hello.
Is not it.
For example, I want to watch when I go to the home of a friend or my dad who already has a chromecast installed. Then on my cell phone, I open EMBY and broadcast the film.

germanbuzz

I think he means that he's traveling with a Chromecast device, and when casting to it the DNS he has the emby server is configured with isn't being resolved by the Chromecast device, and so it won't connect.

Does Chromecast work with IPv6? I'm thinking some of the issue is with that. As for the DNS, I'm not sure.

That, exactly.
Regarding chromecast and IPv6 I don't know, but my internet server (Brazil) only releases IPv6, for IPv4 I need to make a series of forms and requests.

germanbuzz

O painel do servidor mostra seu endereço remoto correto e mostra o nome do domínio ou o endereço IP?

acesso remoto:  (WAN): link ddns

Edited by germanbuzz

germanbuzz

Are you able to use that address in the web client and access your server?

Yes, when I am away from home I can access that address. I can watch the movies on my cell phone. I can also watch using an androidtv or smartv. Works well.
The only thing that doesn't work is to cast to any chromecast anywhere outside my home.

Try removing the domain name from your server config so that it shows the ip address. Then restart whatever app you're connecting to Chromecast with and try again.

ok, i will do that.
but I don't know when exactly I will be able to test.
but I'll let you know when I can.

I don't know if you modified it, but that address doesn't resolve for me.

If it is accurate, I would take it out of your posting.

Thanks.

germanbuzz

I don't know if you modified it, but that address doesn't resolve for me.

If it is accurate, I would take it out of your posting.

Thanks.

Hello.
OK. my post I edited.
the rest I don't know how to do it.

germanbuzz

Great, thanks.

good evening. I went to my dad's house today and tested the emby on the chromecast. Did not work. It even appears on the TV with the emby logo, but when it comes to selecting the movie and playing it, it stays static.

good evening. I went to my dad's house today and tested the emby on the chromecast. Did not work. It even appears on the TV with the emby logo, but when it comes to selecting the movie and playing it, it stays static.

That means his Chromecast device cannot reach your emby server using the remote address that you've configured.

germanbuzz

That means his Chromecast device cannot reach your emby server using the remote address that you've configured.

and do you have any idea how can i make it work?

Kimballslice1890

I see you are hosting via HTTP and not HTTPS. Via your dashboard under network, secure connection mode, what is the listed option?

I had a similar issue with Chromecasts which required me purchasing a domain and acquiring a signed certificate (through Lets Encrypt, they're free) as chromecasts require a signed cert by a CA that is trusted by Google when streaming over HTTPS. Never tried streaming over HTTP outside of my LAN so I cannot say if the chromecast will even allow it or not.

Also this site may help you find your IPV4 address if you have one: https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Also, when you try to connect directly just to your IPV6 address instead of the dns, try typing it as: [2001:1284:f013:d1da:d82f:312f:abf2:6771]

germanbuzz

Did you go through the things i asked you to try in this thread? 

Hello. yes, it replaces the ddns of the external domain and now on the emby panel in remote access (WAN) is my IPv4 address.

I can get external access, but I can't play on the chromecast.

I installed the ddns program on the computer and it constantly updates both IPv4 and IPv6, I believe that is why I have access, as my operator does not release port on IPv4 (unless it is extremely necessary and after filling some things).

germanbuzz

in the emby app I put the ddns, but I don't know which IP it pulls, whether the 4 or 6, you know? because it automatically updates both.