Wake on LAN (WoL) not available

adelphiaUK

adelphiaUK

I have noticed that there is no WoL option on the LG Smart TV app. In order for me to watch movies on my TV I have to physically visit the machine to turn it on or use my Smartphone to WoL.

Is this something that's been overlooked and is in development or are there any plans to implement this in a future release?

I anticipate (and appreciate) your replies. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
requa3r0

I cant really understand why you need an api to send a magic packet. It can easily be created and and send. But I also don't know anything about LG apps.

With the energy prices we have now, I need to suspend my sever when its not used. This happens automatically based on low network traffic, but I still like to access emby from remotely and from the LG TV, which is pretty hard to do if the serer is suspended.

Anyway here is a pretty good workaround to solve that problem.

Install a raspberry pi with raspbian on your network.

With etherwake its easy to make a script that wakes up the server from remote, and it can be activated with ssh. For android the app server assistant is your friend.

I also installed a web-page on the pi running this.

https://github.com/AndiSHFR/wake-on-lan.php

Remember to give the www-user write permissions to the folder for the settings json file.

Its setup as the homepage on the LG TV browser, so its easy to check if the server is up and to wake it up if need right from the remote.

I don't know if some of that code could be help full in a emby wake on lan workaround for the LG TV as an add-on perhaps, but it does look pretty simple

Requaero

6 minutes ago, requa3r0 said:

I cant really understand why you need an api to send a magic packet. It can easily be created and and send. But I also don't know anything about LG apps.

With the energy prices we have now, I need to suspend my sever when its not used. This happens automatically based on low network traffic, but I still like to access emby from remotely and from the LG TV, which is pretty hard to do if the serer is suspended.

Anyway here is a pretty good workaround to solve that problem.

Install a raspberry pi with raspbian on your network.

With etherwake its easy to make a script that wakes up the server from remote, and it can be activated with ssh. For android the app server assistant is your friend.

I also installed a web-page on the pi running this.

https://github.com/AndiSHFR/wake-on-lan.php

Remember to give the www-user write permissions to the folder for the settings json file.

Its setup as the homepage on the LG TV browser, so its easy to check if the server is up and to wake it up if need right from the remote.

I don't know if some of that code could be help full in a emby wake on lan workaround for the LG TV as an add-on perhaps, but it does look pretty simple

Requaero

Wake on Lan requires sending low level socket messages. LG provides no developer functions for us to do that.

In the RPI example you posted, the wake on lan function is not happening inside the browser, it's happening in the php code that is hosting the web content.

requa3r0

@LukeI kind of figured that was the issue. It does Seems strange that a TV does not provide this functionality.

But if anyone has the same problem, its a pretty sweet workaround.

You just need some kind of backend to host the php script and do the low level magic ;O)

A pi is a cheap and easy on the power, and it can do a lot of other smart home services at the same time ;O)

If anyone else find this helpful let me know ;O)

• Thanks 1