Media transfer problem

dredd1963

dredd1963

Morning all.

I've been having a problem, I've been ripping my media on a separate pc. When transferring I've been using ether a external hdd or transferring over my wired network.

What's been happening first started with with the external drive, but now also with the wired network. The speed of the transfer drops really low and then the screen goes black and only reappears when the transfer finishes. Am only able to do 1 movie/episode at a time, which can ages to do. If I press a key on the keyboard the screen eventually returns to normal and the transfer as paused won't restart. So I have to restart. Under normal use the pc works OK.

My specs are
Amd athlon IIx4 620 cpu
4gb ddr2 memory
Ecs geforce6100pm-m2 board
Windows 10 pro 1909.

Would a memory increase and perhaps a graphics card help or am I really in need of replacing the board etc.

Would be grateful for any advice given.

Thanks in advance.

@

@@Jdiesel

@@maegibbons

dredd1963

Thanks @.just had a look at memory prices for ddr2 expensive och!!, more expensive than ddr4 new, even ebay not cheap. I have to now decide whether to just to add a 2gb graphics card just to take the strain off while transferring stuff, while having to save to buy new board etc.

dredd1963

Ran a extended memory test today, it appears to be ok according to the test, but the startup beeps (4) suggest otherwise.

SHSPVR

4 short = System timer failure refer bad Clock IC or bad RAM in the first bank of memory been you didn't see any bad memory error this lead to believe it Clock IC which has to do with incoming or out going power
When was last time you change out the CMOS battery ?.
But more likely the motherboard it self could be starting to fail or problem is come the power supply it self if have a good one laying around swap it see it still dose it
Usually System Memory will last for every

Edited by SHSPVR

dredd1963

Changed the battery last year, restarted the pc earlier and it reduced the speed of the memory at startup, had to reset it in the bios.

The was happening before the battery change. Also checked for any bios update (currently used) and that 15 years again, mind you the drivers have been updated best as I can. The co-processor is showing as a issue, but windows says it's up to date.

The number of beeps has increased, to quick to count accurately count pos six not got the best hearing lol.

mastrmind11

Changed the battery last year, restarted the pc earlier and it reduced the speed of the memory at startup, had to reset it in the bios.

The was happening before the battery change. Also checked for any bios update (currently used) and that 15 years again, mind you the drivers have been updated best as I can. The co-processor is showing as a issue, but windows says it's up to date.

The number of beeps has increased, to quick to count accurately count pos six not got the best hearing lol.

Do you have anything to measure the voltage coming out of the PSU?  Or another PSU laying around to switch it out as a test?  This happens only when you're transfering files?  If it's a PSU issue, a hard drive spinning up will definitely accentuate a voltage issue.

Edited by mastrmind11

dredd1963

Have installed a 1gb graphics card, only had 1 screen small black out so far. The transfer times doesn't seam to have improved at on network/external hdd. Tried to replace a file, but the speed dropped to 0 and stopped there. I lost access to 2 hard drives at that point. Rebooted and they came back.

Cursor is slow to react and it lags.looking at taskmaster on average the memory usage is about 50%, but the cpu gets as high 100%.

SHSPVR

Dose that external hdd work find on other system doing the same test ?.

I think root problem maybe your motherbaord dredd1963.

dredd1963

Hard drive works fine with no issues on the other pc mate. Other than the data transfer issue my server pc works fine.

It's proberly time for a replacement, can't complain the motherboard, memory and cpu were a freebie in the first place.

Thanks everybody your input.

dredd1963

Could a co processor have a effect, according to device manager there's a issue there? A far as I can figure out its to do with the chipset. The motherboard drivers are for vista/Windows 7. There's no windows 10 update driver for the coprocessor, there's no update for this motherboard. The other drivers seems to work ok.

Just a last minute thought.

SHSPVR

Could a co processor have a effect, according to device manager there's a issue there? A far as I can figure out its to do with the chipset. The motherboard drivers are for vista/Windows 7. There's no windows 10 update driver for the coprocessor, there's no update for this motherboard. The other drivers seems to work ok.

Just a last minute thought.

The co processor are build into the CPU unless you thinking of north or south bridge chip which solder on to motherboard

dredd1963

All am being told is that it's other devices, pci, have got a sata control card but it's driver are OK.

SHSPVR

All am being told is that it's other devices, pci, have got a sata control card but it's driver are OK.

That dose matter as the south bridge chip is the control primary to all device in chain for I/O functions, such as PCI Bus, USB, Audio, Serial, the System BIOS, the ISA bus, the interrupt controller and the IDE/SATA channels unlike the north brigde  which is AGP, PCie Video and System Memory but today more modern motherboard have done away with north brigde which some part build into CPU now and motherboard now has one main integrate controller functions